Home General
Options

First Impression - Captain Black 'Black Sea'

I've been wanting to branch out and include blends other than aromatics in my rotation but continue to be dissatisfied with the results. I think I'm only doing it out of a need to feel more inclusive in the pipe smoking community as an all around smoker and finally be able to take a seat at the grown-up table. But I just can't get past the strong flavor of Latakia. So I may have to resign myself to sticking with the blends that attracted me to the hobby in the first place. And accept the fact that I am - and will probably always be an aromatic smoker. 

But Captain Black 'Black Sea' sounded like a promising possibility for me. A less jarring way of easing into a cross-over aromatic/English blend - an assumption based on my familiarity with the brand name and my over all enjoyment of most Captain Black blends. I somehow believed if anyone could sneak in a whisper of rich smoky Latikia into a sweet vanilla blend without it dominating the flavor it would be Captain Black. But it was not the case.

I've read a variety of reviews emphatically stating ... "Captain Black 'Black Sea' is not your Father's Captain Black" ...  but I assumed it to be the type of hype meant to get tobacco purist who had long given up on the brand to give it a try. This was no hype. 'Black Sea' is a blend that could and should appeal to aficionados of mild English Latakia blends. But as for the cautiously curious aromatic smoker like myself, expecting the transition to be tiny baby steps let me assure you - there is nothing in 'Black Sea' that would lead anyone familiar with the Captain Black line to assume it was one of their blends. 

Latakia is such a dominate tobacco that it masks any sweet cased vanilla Cavendish or premium Virginias that an uneducated palette like mine could detect. I imagine a true connoisseur could easily differentiate the tobaccos - but not me. Cracking open the can Latakia was the dominant tin note as well as predominant flavor throughout the smoke.  

I've not given up on this blend and plan to return again tonight. I've often heard it takes a few bowls before you can get a real feel for a tobacco. Some claim to have hated a blend upon their initial smoke, then after returning to it at a later time found it to be quite enjoyable. So I'm keeping that in mind. And also plan on doing a little experimenting by adding a touch of Perique ... and maybe a bit more Captain Black Dark to add more flavor. I'm not to fond of it as it is ... so I doubt if I can do that much harm by tweaking and experimenting.