Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Anybody smoke a Horn pipe?

I'm wondering how comfortable it is in the hand and how cool the smoke is.  Suitable for aromatics or not?  Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    I'll take that as a "no".
  • Options
    @mfresa I never heard of a horn pipe before and was waiting to read a few responses in hopes of getting a better understanding without showing my ignorance on the subject. Now it's too late and I've already done it. So is a horn pipe constructed out of an antler or some kind of animal horn ... or simply a specific shape like bent apple or nosewarmer ? See how stupid that's going to sound if it's a pipe shape and not an actual animal horn.  
  • Options
    I have a Wally Frank "Horn" that is one of my favorites. Is this what you mean?Wally Frank POM Horn
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii and @Woodsman - yes and yes.  From what I have read, the animal horn has been used in the past to smoke tobacco, although I think the users found it difficult, but it inspired the pipe makers at the time to make briar or wooden pipes shaped like a horn. There are various interpretations on the shape, Woodsman's being one of them, so it is really an aesthetic choice as to which one you like (as is most pipe shapes I guess). Ghost, don't feel ignorant about anything regarding pipes, any information about them is only interesting to guys like us, and we aren't born with the historical knowledge, we all have to dig it up or hear it from somewhere...
    Since I'm making (badly) pipes at the moment, I will put the horn shape on my list of pipes to make.  Currently working on a large cavalier...
  • Options
    @mfresa, I have a few horn/oliphant shaped pipes in my collection. Some are easy to smoke, and some can provide certain challenges. If the pipe has a canted forward bowl, as well as a 1/8th bent stem, you may find it difficult to put flame to tobacco in an exact location, as you will be lighting blind. With a little practice, you can get the hang of it, without accidentally charring a rim.
  • Options
    @xDutchx, thanks for the warning. So far, I haven't had the courage to spend the money yet.  Neptune had a nice one on Ebay for $155 or so, but I passed on it.  The birds eye was beautiful, though. I might be heading to Nashville in the near future and will try to stop by their shop while I'm there.
  • Options
    @mfresa, I am about 2 hours south of Nashville. I need to get up there and check out their facilities as well.
  • Options
    @xDutchx - anywhere near Chattanooga?
  • Options

@mfresa, no I am straight down I-65 in Athens, AL. about 30 miles from the Tennessee line.

• Options
    @xDutchx - got it.  Just curious.  I'm going to retire north of Chattanooga (hopefully one day). A bit far for a quick visit.
  • Options
    @mfresa, eastern Tennessee has some beautiful country, and a very relaxing place to retire.