Home Ask an Expert
Options

Cost of pipes

Does a $400 pipe smoke any different than a $100 pipes. If so what is the difference. I may have to save up for one.

Comments

• Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    I don't have a $400 pipe so I cannot be sure. I have read in articles some have bought very expensive pipes and the briar was terrible or sour, it could be due to improper curing or something else it just happens (not common though). I have had the rare opportunity to smoke a very expensive estate Bent Billiard Dunhill Bruyere group 5 pipe, probably a $500+ and I cannot say that it made me want to start saving up to get one myself. It was a very nice pipe and had some phenomenal grain but while I was smoking it I was so worried something might happen to it I couldn't really enjoy myself, always being careful, not clenching and watching the rim while lighting. I guess if you have the money why not go for it; but for me I will stick to my $250 limit and even that is stretching it. And at that price your paying more for the aesthetics, I think if it has good engineering that it what will effect the smoke-ability the most. Like I have heard said many times: "We are the leading expert on our own opinion".
  • Options
    I think my most expensive pipe cost me about $125.00 while the cheapest pipe I have was a $5.00 estate pipe I found in a second hand shop which required a bit of cleaning and some simple restoration. And to be honest - they both smoke great. The thing that makes a pipe bad for me is when the drilling is off and I can't get my pipe cleaner through the stem to the bowl to sop up the extra moisture which occurs while smoking a goopy aromatic. Otherwise I really don't notice much difference between my Nording, Petersons, Bribba, Chacom, Big Bens, or the inexpensive basket pipes. Doubt that I'll ever own anything that cost $400.00 though. 
  • Options
    I have a $400 pipe. At least that's what the sticker on the box said. I didn't pay $400 for it. I won it in a long smoke contest. It smokes almost as good as the pipe Santambrogio briar I paid $90 for. 
  • Options
    I have a $60 Rossi Palermo Billiard that smokes great.  I smoke it daily and in rotation with a Peterson Bulldog when I am smoking Sir Walter Raleigh aromatic blend.  I keep the Rossi as a dedicated pipe for that blend.
  • Options
    dbh1950dbh1950 Newcomer
    The most I can recall paying for a pipe is about $ 110.00 which was probably a sale price, for a Peterson Donegal Rocky. I have several MM cobs that smoke just as well. I guess the rule might be be satisfied with what you do, if it is your best. The key is, for me is finding tobaccos you enjoy, and try new recommendations.There is a plethora of knowledge and experience regarding the variety of tobaccos, as well attested to on This Pipe Life.
  • Options
    I just rescued an old Kirsten for $30 from an "antique" shop. Talked them down from $45. Looked it up on the Kirsten website and they have one very similar for $139. 
  • Options

I have a few high grades in my collection, but I still smoke cobs, as well as production pipes, because they have qualities that appeal to me. If you think about that statement, you will probably come to the conclusion that it really depends on the smoking qualities of an individual pipe. IMO, stem work is very relevant, because it can enhance the smoking qualities of a pipe. Straight grain is something that will increase the collectability of a particular pipe, but that is about it.

Once a pipe smoker decides to collect high grade pipes, or collectible pipes from years past, they are not just buying them to smoke. They buy them to enjoy them, even when they are not smoking.

I am working on putting together a 7 day set of a particular pipe from years past. The pipe is a production pipe, and originally had an average price point. However, over the years numbers have dwindled, and finding one in excellent condition can take some time. Putting together a 7 day set in excellent condition will take a few years, possibly decades. When it comes to collecting anything, the quest is a large part of the enjoyment and personal satisfaction.

To specifically answer the original question, yes there is a noticeable difference in the craftsmanship and smoking qualities of a $400 pipe compared to a $100 pipe. Primarily the difference is in how much time the carver dedicated to internal engineering and stem work. However, sometimes you get lucky and add a gem to your rotation, without spending much dough. This is the best reason I can think of, for justifying growing your pipe collection beyond what some folks would consider a reasonable number. Bottom line is, you never know for certain, until you sample a particular blend in a particular pipe.

• Options
    I've been pulling out my assortment of inexpensive Dr. Grabows as of late ... most of which are over 35 years old - and every one of them smokes great. If part of my passion wasn't collecting unique looking pipes - and only wanted a pipe for smoking, then I'd probably be happy with a couple of Dr. Grabows and nothing more.