Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Tried & True Ways to (re)Moisten Dry Tobacco?

I have 5oz of very dry Medal of Valor that I'd like to moisten up a bit if I could.  In looking online, I saw several different (dubious) ways to moisten tobacco.  Before I try any of them, can anyone suggest a way that actually works?  Also, I don't particularly want the method used to change the flavor or scent of the tobacco; i.e. orange peels.  Perhaps that might work well with an aromatic but I'd prefer to keep my English blend an English blend without a hint of oranges. 

Comments

• Options
    There is an episode of Country Squire Radio podcast that covers this. I can't seem to find it at this time. I'll keep looking.
  • Options
    A simple method that I use, is to take a small bottle of distilled water, and spray the underside of the lid. If your tobacco came in a European style tin, you can place your tobacco in a small Tupperware style container and achieve the same result. Rinse and repeat as many times as you feel necessary.
  • Options
    I place a "humidity button" in the jar and reseal. I let it set for 48-hours and check the moisture content. I always soak the humidity button in distilled water for about 8-hours prior to placing it in the jar with the tobacco.  This method will not change the flavor and will provide excellent results.

• Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    I am not sure if it's the best but I have had really good luck with the way I do it. I use plastic take out containers (probably can be found at wal-mart) but it is 2 sided with a seal-able lid. There is a space between the 2 sides so they are not isolated from each other. One side I put a couple cotton balls saturated with distilled water, the other side I place the tobacco (out of metal tin to prevent tin from rusting) and I seal the lid and let it sit for a week or so you can check periodically for your preferred moisture level. The great thing about this is you are not getting the tobacco directly wet (prohibits mold) and it will absorb what it needs (doesn't over saturate). It has worked every time for me even with aros (they tend to loose some flavor) it is kind of like a humidifier but with just that tobacco (cost effective too).

container
  • Options
    CerozeroCerozero Newcomer
    I place the tobacco in a baking dish where I can spread it out in a thin layer, then I add a paper towel dampened (Not Dripping) with Distilled water and drape over the dish.
    I continue this process until the tobacco is of the desired moisture level.