Home General
Options

What's your favorite pipe smoking channel on YouTube?

Bradley at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyzAMeGkT4N82NXOXN584aw?&ab_channel=STUFFandTHINGS is my favorite. 

I have learned a great deal from him and I enjoy his presentations.

Comments

• Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Second that. Too bad he's restricted in what he can get where he lives. 
  • Options
    Well, frankly, while that is true about his location, his major restriction is that he restricts himself to English/Oriental/British type blends. Now, I enjoy smoking Sutliff's Molto Dolce, probably the ultimate aromatic, but I also enjoy a few Dunhill and Mac Baren English blends, and I love the Virginia Perique Escudo. 

Back before my almost two decade hiatus from pipe smoking, my favorites were Balkan Sobranie, Aperitif, 221B Baker Street, Scottish Mixture, Escudo and an outstanding aromatic house blend from Cousins' Cigar store in Cleveland Ohio. I went through many 8 oz. tins of that stuff.
  • Options
    +1 for Bradley. Also like HolySmokeNPipePadre. Some pipe discussion, some politics, some cultural observations. A nice mix.
  • Options
    I check in with Muttonchop Piper, umfundise aka Thabo and Aristocob.
  • Options

There are several that I watch but my three favorites are Matches860, Muttonchops Piper, and The Artful Codger.

Muttonchops puts a lot of thought into his presentations, trying hard to assist new pipe smokers with easy to follow step-by-step procedures, and doing it in a congenial manner, coming across as another one of the guys rather than a know-it-all professor instructing from a manual. Having riddles posted behind him on place cards is just another example of how he goes that extra mile to make his show interesting and fun. I also enjoyed his fireside chats, presenting his other hobby - photography, as well as sharing his music with viewers. He's multi-faceted which makes him all the more interesting and entertaining.

An other outstanding YouTube Presenter is Matches860 who in my opinion is the Mark Twain of this new Millennium. His easy going manner, delivery, and comfort in front of the camera makes you feel he's actually in the room talking to you one on one. His earlier videos were instructional - but where he really shines is when he's telling a relating a story from his past ... doing so in such a way as to bringing his characters and events to life. I'd liken his presentation to the storytelling Boy Scout Troop Leader, with his scout troop seated around the campfire, weaving spellbinding tales that capture their imaginations. Though I've never corresponded with him I still feel like he is a personal friend I've known all my life. My wife even enjoys watching his videos almost as much as I do.

Deep down inside I'm an old soul that would probably have been more comfortable living in the past than the present. As a musician I've always preferred vintage keyboard gear to the digital keyboard workstations. I'm an analogue musician living in a digital world; preferring my old 70s' keyboards - the Mellotron, Mini Moog Synthesizer, Hammond B3 Organ, and Wurlitzer and Univox electric piano over all the hi-tech gear that now occupies my home studio. So a YouTube Pipe Presenter like The Artful Codger is just my cup of tea, filling my need for a nostalgic blast from the past. His occasional sepia tone presentations are like watching an old film noir detective series. He appears to be another old soul living in a young body. His YouTube Channel screams ... nostalgia ... from his choice of big band music playing in the background to his garb and his delivery. His pleasant outlook and genuine smile can always brighten up my mood. Watching his videos is like stepping back into time to a more relaxed era. After a steady diet of cable news there is no better way to decompress, mellow out, and raise your spirits than watching YouTube Presenters like The Artful Codger, Matches860, and Muttonchops Piper.

And what do these guys all have in common ... a genuine likable personality. Three guys I'd be happy to spend a evening with sitting around a campfire shooting the breeze and sharing a bowl.          

• Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    I forgot about the Padre, he really seems like a nice guy. I like how you can see how genuinely excited he is when he gets a new pipe. It makes me feel happy for him. 

The corncob guy is also another happy sort. Nice videos. Aristo-gent or something like that. Now that's a guy who's the opposite, he likes the aromatics and really doesn't care for the English blends.

You are right about Bradley Mr. Motie, He has, not a narrow, but a limited range and doesn't like to go outside that zone. Which is fine. Since most things are a matter of taste, if you don't like something it doesn't mean it's bad, it just means you don't like it. Although he's pretty fair and honest. You know where he's coming from. If you're someone who likes Elizabethan he would be the guy for you. I like his reviews because they are very well thought out and produced. 

Not going to mention the ones I don't like but a lot of the time you get guys who think the pipe makes them much smarter and more profound than they really are, and their videos don't do them any favors. If it makes them happy then that's fine but I just move on. 

I like the ones that get right to the point, unlike me. 
  • Options
    Matches860 is a must.  Muttonchop is great also.  
  • Options
    Those of you who have mentioned the Padre: Would you like a copy of "Toward a Theology of Pipesmoking," 73 pages, by Arthur D. Yunker? It's in the form of two .pdf's and I've shared them with others in other discussions here. Just let me know and I'll email them to you. I also have copies of Carl Weber's, "The Art of Pipe Smoking," if you'd like.
  • Options
    I really enjoy classicflytyer's vids. Alan Kerslake has a great channel, but he passed away a couple years ago, RIP Alan. Matches860, Aristocob/MMBC, Lars Kiel, Northern Bohemian, NWPipesmoker are my go to's as well
  • Options
    @motie2 if you post them, I'd really appreciate it.
  • Options
    @mfresa  Did you receive the 3 .pdf's?
  • Options
  • Options
    @motie2 I'd appreciate those selections for reading as well.  Thanks.
  • Options
    Muttonchop Piper, I met him at the NASPC Show last year.
  • Options
    I probably watch Muttonchop more than anyone else, but there have been some good ones over the years. One that stands out in my mind, is OneManSmoke. He really put some effort into his vids, and some were very educational. I enjoyed the ones he did, where he interviewed a friend, who is a tobacco farmer.
  • Options
    @SLCarrico -- Happy to send them to ya, but I need your email address.....
  • Options
    IndyJGIndyJG Apprentice
    nwpipesmoker is my favorite. I also watch Matches860 and Muttonchop. Those are my main 3 YouTube pipe presenters I subscribe to.
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    Just to name a few; I have a couple I watch for info and enjoyment :Matches860, Nova Piper, NWPipeSmoker, JAYDIGHSX and the Peacheys13 A good variety of channels and great people too.
  • Options
    @motie2 I sent you a message with my email address I would appreciate a copy of "Toward a Theology of Pipesmoking," 73 pages, by Arthur D. Yunker and Carl Weber's, "The Art of Pipe Smoking," if you wouldn't mind. Thank you.
  • Options
    @piperdave - Sent as requested. 
  • Options
    SLCarricoSLCarrico Apprentice
    Thanks @motie2, got my pdfs
  • Options
    @motie2 Thank you very much. I am sure I will enjoy them.
  • Options

I subscribe to Aristocob, Muttnchop Piper, Padre Piper, Pastor Pipes, Pipe and Tobacco Reviews, and Smoking Dagners.  I used to subscribe to Stuff and Things, Matches860, and NWPipeSmoker but I was just getting too many videos to try and keep up with.  All of these are good, but I had to trim down the number of subscriptions so they didn't take over my life! ;-)

• Options
    GordonGordon Newcomer
    I just found PIPEFULS, by Christopher Morley, a six and a half hour audiobook on Youtube. This work has been selected by scholars as being culturally important, and is part of the knowledge base of civilization as we know it. This work was reproduced from the original artifact, and remains as true to the original work as possible.     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z_Q8lfxkiI
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Yes, yes, Aristocob. Thank you Mr. Frushour, that's the one I mis-named before. He puts out some very nice videos and I regret not taking the time to get his name right before. He's more of an all around smoking pipes kind of guy instead of a reviewer like Bradley at Stuff and Things is. Of course he's selling corn cobs so you have to take that into account, but fun to watch.
  • Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    At the risk of being politically incorrect, I will say that I particularly enjoy the pipe-related videos presented by attractive young women. Although what is being offered is sometimes complete nonsense, somehow it all seems to work for me. Quality of content is often highly overrated.