Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Your Favorite Tamper

My favorite tamper, is the venerable Czech. At $3.00, it is probably one of the best, if not the best value for the money in the industry. The only thing I don't like about the Czech, is that if I don't keep the brass ring snug, I can end up tapping and denting a rim.

Here is the thing. I want to like something better, but at this point, I haven't found anything. Some are very eye catching, but lack a pick or reamer. Plus, the L shape of the Czech is very form follows function in design.

So, my question is, what is your favorite tamper, and why is it more practical than the Czech?

Comments

• Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    The Czech tool is one I use often but the ones I like most are the personal ones that you can't buy. I have a roofing nail from my roof. A blown fuse (400V, a little smaller than your thumb) that an electrician handed me and jokingly said "here's a present for you".  I also have various homemade ones like from bone and stacked leather, a tip from an Elk's antler. Of course some horseshoe nails. 

The question is why is it more practical? They are not. It's hard to beat the practicality of that tool. In fact I was just thinking about the pick on those things the other day and thought they probably don't get the use they deserve and it's nice to have it on there. But my favorites are the one's that have a meaning, no matter how cheap or impractical. 

• Options
    I'm fond of using one of the fingers on my right hand. They're convenient, come in several different sizes, I almost always have them with me, and they are not easily misplaced. Admittedly, not the most refined of techniques.
  • Options

My Czech tool is the one I seem to carry with me the most often because it's cheap and a versatile multi-tool. Should I lose it the $3.00 price tag isn't going to put a debt in my wallet for a replacement. But as for my personal favorite, it's the Peterson Pipe Tool I received as a free gift when purchasing my Jekyll & Hyde pipe. It's strictly for home use then immediately tucked safely away my Sherlock Holmes decanter where I keep pipe cleaning supplies and extra Zippo flint. I have a tendency to lose things I carry around in my pocket.  

peterson pipe tool
  • Options

The tamper that really caught my eye is a Sherlock Holmes tamper from Peterson. But I find carrying only a tamper as opposed to a multi-purpose Czech tool to be less efficient. A tamper can only be used for one thing, whereas the pipe tool can help you in a pinch when a plugged or tightly packed bowl is hampering your smoking experience. 

sherlock holmes pipe tamper
  • Options
    I use my Aristocob golf tee the most. Very light weight and cheap. The only thing it doesn't have that I need about a 1/3 of the time is a thin pick like the czech tool. If I have to I can use the point for a pick, but its somewhat thick. I guess i could carve it down a bit. I think I'll try that.
  • Options
    I always have a Pipe Nail in my pocket, Czech Tool on my Key Ring.
  • Options
    On Youtube, LARRY BLACKETT has a channel dedicated to tampers.
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    Just found this little gem and will have it on Sunday.  

• Options
    KA9FFJKA9FFJ Master
    @Londy3
    @ghostsofpompeii would love to have that one...
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    @KA9FFJ
    You are absolutely right!
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Peterson “PeteGeek” tampers