Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Old Dominion Corn Cob Pipes

SLCarricoSLCarrico Apprentice
edited February 2017 in Pipes & Tools
Anyone own and smoke an Old Dominion Corncob pipe? I may pick one up, but I haven't found any reviews on them. I'm mostly curious about the bamboo stem - How durable is it? How does it feel in the mouth? Things like that.
Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Options

@SLCarrico, I asked this same question on another forum, back when the company was featured in a P&T magazine article. The response I received, was that the advantage, was that the reed stem could be shortened, by simply cutting off a portion, but that the round reed stem tends to allow the pipe to roll right or left when clenching. I suppose a pipeman's teeth would have some bearing on how easily the pipe rolls.

Regardless, I still want one of each model for my collection, I just haven't gotten around tuit yet.

• Options
    here you go....

roundtuitback
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    I don't mind the reed stem on the cob I have it can roll a small amount when clenching but not too bad (can't hold with front teeth though only back). Seems durable but I do hold it more than clench it. It does take some getting used to, the bowl is much smaller (I got the laughing king Indian corn) so it is a quick 15 min maybe longer depending on how you puff; it does have thin walls though. One of the things I like is that it takes a pipe cleaner to the bowl to help with any moisture, that has become a big part of my personal pipe buying. I will try to get some images together and post, I also bought one of the No. 456 reed stem clay pot-bellys last year at the NASPC show. I like it but it also has a really small bowl. I enjoy them both but not in regular rotation one of those special occasion things.
  • Options
    @xDutchx @PappyJoe @piperdaveThanks guys. I didn't even think about the rolling possibility. Don't usually clench, but that's good to be aware of.
    I enjoy cobs and its quite affordable, so I'll probably use my Round Tuit now that I have one. Thanks Pappy.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe, I haven't seen one of those since 1977. I remember they were made of wood. I should have known you would get the pun. :^)
  • Options
    Finally got some images together to post for ya. This is the info that came in the bag with it.
    IMG_20170226_195806796
  • Options
    Here are images of it from side and top you can see the walls of the pipe.IMG_20170226_195557921
    IMG_20170226_195633432
  • Options
    @SLCarrico Finally I took a pic along side of one of my briars for an idea of size. Hope they help.
    IMG_20170226_195624898
  • Options
    @piperdave Thanks brother. That helps mucho. Pretty neat pipes. I like the historicity of them.