Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Pipe Transportation - What do you use?

I usually smoke my pipe just before work or just after work. During the day I let my pipe sit in the shop vs. my car so my ride doesn't get overly smokey. I don't use anything in particular to carry my pipes around in. I don't worry about my cobs, but my briars are more expensive and I'd rather not just leave them in the open at my bench area, though they are really quite safe, but you never know (I work in a small custom mill-work shop.)
I'd like to see/hear what you guys use to transport your pipes to work in daily.

Comments

• Options
    Pocket or Jeep TJ. Collectibles stay home or in the yard.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Mr. Carrico,

Personally, I like to keep pipes around the area I'm going to be using them, so I have a few long term storage areas. If I do need to transport them I use either a leather roll or a big wooden cigar box that I have "pimped out" so to speak which also has the other necessities of a good smoke. Tobacco goes in a leather pouch, or now a jar for my car.

The value of the pipe is inversely proportional to how far it is allowed to go from my chair. So the nicest stay put, a good briar can go out in the yard, a regular briar can travel locally with me and a cob has no milage restrictions.
  • Options
    Since Christmas, I now have a leather roll that will hold 3 pipes and two pouches of tobacco plus tools for traveling. Before that I used a canvas shave kit to carry pipes and tobacco. I still have the shave kit for use if I take a long trip. It will easily hold 5 pipes and 4 tins or jars of tobacco.
  • Options
    I use a pipe carrier that holds two pipes, tobacco pouch, pipe cleaners, tamper, lighter, and a foldable pipe holder.  I also like to use my sunglasses case to hold my pipes when I'm in a rush.
  • Options

I use a Tonto concealed carry messenger bag. It's a tactical bag that is rather small, but has plenty of storage space. I purchased one, after watching Muttnchop Pipers review he did last year. Here is a link to the review if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyjBY50xs2I 

• Options
    Damn @xDutchx that's freaking awesome....... slightly jealous....ok majorly jealous
  • Options
    @Deadpool57, I had always wanted one of the Smokin' Holsters brand leather pipe bags, but when I saw Muttnchop's review, I thought that his choice was a lot more practical. Considering that most pleather pipe pouches go for around $20, and a real leather pipe pouch goes for around $75, I thought that the Tonto was a real value. I wish it had individual sections for each pipe, but I put each pipe in it's own pipe sock before loading them into the bag, to keep them from rattling around inside.
  • Options
    I have a small leather case that can carry two pipes and hold the tools of the trade.  I now realize i need something larger if I want to carry tobacco.  Still, it's useful for my monthly pipe club meeting in Hartford.
  • Options
     A Sorringowl & Sons bison leather pipe and tobacco pouch/roll.  Carries 1 pipe, some tobacco, a lighter and some pipe cleaners.  I use it just for local and day trips.
  • Options
    I had a canvas tool roll, but them decided to make my own leather pouch. It turned into a small business. northwestgentlemen.com
    It holds all of the essentials. I made a smaller leather pouch that hols just one pipe for short day trips.
    FullSizeRender 38
  • Options

I'm retired now, but when working I usually kept my 'work pipes' in my locker. Then later when I transitioned from shop to office work I kept the pipes in a desk drawer. There were usually inexpensive basket pipes or a Dr. Grabow purchased from a drug store. Nothing too costly. 

When working as a Milwright these work pipes would take quite a beating because I'd be smoking while burning steel plates with an acetylene cutting torch, invariably producing flying metal sparks called slag, which when making contact with the pipe would immediately burn into the wood leaving pockmarks. I have similar little scars up and down my arms. 

And as for my work car, I had a tattered old pipe sitting in the ashtray that I'd use. Never bothered with pipe rotations and seldom even cleaned the poor thing. I abused that pipe more than any other. But it served me well before finally giving up the ghost.   

• Options
    Plenty of great ideas and options. I'm inspired to get creative and come up with something that fits my situation.
    Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    I use a NovaLite combo pouch for 1 pipe, tobacco and I slip a small lighter in the Tobacco area. If I go to a Pipe show or someplace that I'm going to be a few days or weeks I carry 3 to 4 pipes, a couple of tins and a leather bag full of tobacco, tools, etc. in a Gas Mask Bag.
  • Options
    timlove64  I'm enjoying my pipe roll so far :) I'll have to come back for a larger version.
  • Options
    For airline travel with pipes?

Common sense says no matches or lighters.  I'm guessing the rest of the kit (Pipes, Tobacco, Tool, etc...) would be acceptable as carry-on?
  • Options
    I find that since I'm walking in parks and forest preserves to get a little more exercise my wardrobe habits have changed considerably. Before my normal attire was some garish rock T-Shirt and jeans, but now I require a shirt with a pocket so I can carry my pipe and tobacco pouch. So I've gone from T-Shirts to sports shirts just so I have a shirt pocket.
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii - get yourself something like a fly fishing vest. More pockets and they are lightweight. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    I have a multi-pocket outdoorsy vest that I use to carry pipe, lighter, pipe cleaners, tamper, tobacco pouch or tin when I'm away from home. Back in the day, I wore a suit jacket or blazer every day, and that sufficed.
  • Options
    I use either my Peterson pipe pouch, which holds two pipes, some tobacco, and pipe cleaners, pipe tool and lighter.  Or when I am in a suit, which is nearly everyday, I use my pockets in both my vest and suit coat.
  • Options
    @xDutchx that Tonto concealed carry messenger bag is pretty slick and looks great for carrying around some tobacco and pipes.  I will have to mention that one to my wife next time she asks me for gift ideas. Thanks for the post, probably never would of seen of come up with that myself.
  • Options
    @BigSkyPiping, The Tonto holds an incredible amount of gear, considering it's size. It's nice for once to put everything in one container when I am on the go.
  • Options
    LostMasonLostMason Apprentice
    Thanks to the Benefactors of our present discussion, I've a wonderful Stanwell
    two pipe pouch.It has a seperate pocket for tobacco and room for the
    need tools and cleaners.
  • Options
    I picked up one of these O'Dell Canvas Pipe Pouches from Dagner Pipes.

Great canvas roll with a leather strap and two pockets inside.

I received it from em within 3 days of ordering it and it was only around $20.

by the way, I went to their site yesterday and didn't see it available so I sent them an inquiry about this via their "contact us' feature.  I less than an hour Jayson had responded saying that they were out of stock but should have more soon.

Great customer service from these guys for sure.