Home The Lounge
Options

A Hankerin for the Practical

In lieu of the St. Louis Pipe Show and a conversation that I had earlier; How Big is Too Big!?

Even though I showed up fairly late to the smoking pipe show; I was able to see what the last vendors had to offer and I was surprised, if not flabbergasted, at the size of these smoking pipes!  

As an American that is always working and wanting more in his life; I wondered when something is too big for practical use.  I can't imagine that all the tobacco would taste the same or even clean the same out of these monstrous smoking pipes.  Also it got me thinking about the vast varieties of smoking pipes with size differential that haven't tried.  Pipes that are too big or too small. (Almost like a Goldy Locks Tale)   

Also, while smoking my bent dubliner (which I thought was ma large pipe), I was asked why I smoke such a small pipe!  I was appalled~!  Have I been missing out on a different world that I have not yet perceived as future greatness!?  Maybe my perception of having such a large pipe is more impractical than practical.  Some of you men and ladies have shown extraordinary smoking pipes but how many are usable or just show.  I think I read on a forum that someone has over 240 smoking pipes in their own private collection.  Can you practically smoke out of all of these.  

Maybe I'm just ranting but my eyes were opened wider after this Pipe Show at the variety of smoking pipes that could be enjoyed. Maybe I just took a little offense about the size of my smoking pipe! HAHA 

PCB 2015

Comments

• Options

Personally, I have pipes in my collection, that when I bought them, I knew I would never smoke them. It could be because they are out of the weight range I prefer. It could be because of the type wood or material they are made from. It could be simply because they are over 50 years old, and have never been smoked.

In the past, I have actually decided not to buy a particular pipe, because it was unsmoked, pricey, and I knew because of it's age or provenance that I would never smoke it.

As for pipe size, I suppose I would have been offended as well. It would be akin to questioning a guys preference for brunettes, and instead suggesting he change his preference to redheads or blondes.

Besides, smaller pipes fit in a lot more pipe racks than larger pipes do, and larger pipes tend to burn a higher volume of tobacco. This is why back when there was a limited supply of tobacco in Europe a few hundred years ago, pipe smokers almost exclusively smoked small pipes. It is amazing how you can load up a small bowled pipe, and get it to smoke almost the same length of time, as you can a larger bowled pipe. Conversely, if I can find a large bowled, lightweight pipe, that doesn't waste tobacco, I have found myself a gem that I will probably never sell. When it comes to some of these wide bowled pipes, you never know for sure if they are going to smoke well, until you actually smoke them.

Another reason I like small pipes, is because when I find myself on the road, I can carry a decent rotation with me with ease. Imagine having to wag around 5 to 7 pipes the size of a 750ml bottle of Scotch.

• Options

I smoke mostly size 3 or 4 bowled pipes, I rarely smoke a larger pipe unless I want to kill 2 hours. 

• Options
    I'd prefer to smoke three small bowls in half hour to 45 minute increments throughout the day than sit out in the garage and puff on a larger pipe for one and a half hours straight.
  • Options
    I figure you can smoke more varieties, easier to clean, and easier on the teeth.  
  • Options
    I only have one large bowled pipe that can last me up to two hours and I use it  much less than my other pipes. I also don't have an overly large collection, although that's more determined by my budget than my desire to purchase. I do get jealous of people's collections, but honestly I love all of my pipes and am able to smoke them often in my regular rotation.
  • Options
    The collection I bought was for $50 dollars on ebay. (15 pipes, a pipe rack, and pipe cleaners)  The seller was in his 70'a and said he wanted the pipes to go to a good home.  I bought the pipes, cleaned them, and sent him his favorite with a little bit of night cap.  Never heard from him again but I'm sure he appreciated it.  Each pipe smokes well and a couple need to be repaired.  I have a few from Grandpa and a few I've purchased.  Hit up a pipe show and barter, the pipes I looked at were gorgeous!  
  • Options
    What's great about the world of pipes is that there are pipes for every lifestyle and need for everyone. If large pipes don't fit your need, then don't worry about it. I like pipes with generous bowls, as I smoke my pipe while reading and writing. I also like smaller pipes to have around, just because they're easier to carry. Plus, larger pipes are harder to clench, and I constantly clench while writing.
  • Options
    I have four -- what I would call standard sized -- pipes and one billiard with a large bowl. I have observed that I smoke the four way more often than the large billiard and I don't know why -- it smokes well. Again, go figure.....