Home General
Options

How many pipes in your collection?

How many pipes are in your collection? I am currently up to 47. Of course, I do have over 50 on various "Wish Lists"

Comments

• Options
    I just did a quick count and discovered I have 43. Almost forgot about the little Rolex fold-up pocket pipe. The pipe comes in a snap pouch and I tend to forget I have it since I barely use it. It's almost too short to be considered a nose warmer, and I get as much smoke in my eyes as I do my mouth.
  • Options
    Rshey1Rshey1 Apprentice
    42 pipes for me, starting to climb in numbers now that I'm carving lol.
  • Options
    I sense a pattern here. 46 at the moment.
  • Options
    TeCarpTeCarp Apprentice
    I stopped counting at 305.  Let's just say somewhere north of 100 and slightly south of 1000.
  • Options
    Back in 2013 I took time to take an official count, and at that time I had around 220. I have added at least 2 or 3 since then.
  • Options
    IndyJGIndyJG Apprentice
    15 (14 briar, 1 cob)
  • Options
    @TeCarp, HOLY SMOKES, BATMAN!!
  • Options
    I have 16 cobs and 7 briars along with one pearwood.  I would like to get a couple more briar pipes but all in all I'm pretty happy with what I have!
  • Options
    I think we were discussing this in another forum!  In any event. I believe I'm up 14 now and we'll see what happens when I hit the pipe show this afternoon!
  • Options
    Last count, 62. I have got to stop going to Ebay.
  • Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    Just added number 249 here at the Gateway Pipe Show in St Louis. Well over half are Castello and the rest are divided between Dunhill and misc.NAC's and others.
  • Options
    Just got a comoy so that brings it to 28
  • Options
    CACooperCACooper Enthusiast
    Truthfully, I don't really know. I've never sat down and counted them. They're scattered about the house, workshop and man cave. I was in the retail tobacco business for a decade and during that time I accumulated hundreds of pipes (at wholesale prices, of course). Dunhills, Savinellis, Ashtons, Petersons, etc. I was a stocking dealer for them all. I've probably sold off more of my collection on Ebay than I currently own.

After I closed the shop, I started making pipes professionally until just recently. Had a website and sold every one I made, with several repeat customers. I also made a lot of commission pieces. I carved many pipes for myself and of course, smoke the rejects. Looming FDA regs and sinus infections put an end to the pipe making, unfortunately.
  • Options
    I started smoking, refurbishing, repairing, making.....and collecting pipes and growing and collecting tobaccos in October of 2013. I have close to 400 pipes and 125 different tobaccos, including 5 different blends of my own home grown tobacco. All from my own seeds (from my first attempt at growing tobacco) all through the whole process of making tobacco smokeable to the satisfaction of burning my own baccy in my own handmade pipe. Maybe not much of an accomplishment in "tobacco belts", but in Montana by a Montanan that had never even seen a tobacco plant until 2013.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    Not counting cobs and no name basket pipes... over 125 but under 150.  I haven't looked in a while. I only activeley smoke about 5 of them though.
  • Options
    My collection is definitely a lot smaller than some of you but is now over 50 pipes due to some recent estate finds. 
    It seems that I am always only one more pipe from having as many pipes as I need. 

I hope to add another new pipe this week and that will hold me until I see something else I have to get.
  • Options
    dbh1950dbh1950 Newcomer
    At one time, I had accumulated about 65 pipes, working part time in a pipe shop, getting employee discount, spending my little pay primarily on pipes. About 15 years ago, I sold all but about 10 special pipes, just too many not being smoked. In the past 3 years I began a judicious effort to purchase specific styles, now I am up to about 28. A recent puchase of an Author shape, lit an interest in focusing on acquiring several brands of Author style pipes, started with Rossi, just ordered a Savinelli 320 Trevi, rusticated. Kudos to Smoking Pipes in Longs, SC, excellent service, quick delivery.
    The Author shape appears to have a limited source of production. Anyone know the history of this shape? I read that it was just a larger Prince shape.

• Options
    65 Pipes, maybe 4 are for show and not smoked. The others are smoked at least once a year. I rotate most of them at the rate of 7 a week, but there are 20 or so that I tend to go to more often. I'm hoping that my PAD is over, however I still go to Ebay from time to time and I wander into some eclectic shops to browse.
  • Options
    I have 7 briar pipes and 10 corn cobs that I smoke. I have to admit that the past several months I have smoked my cobs for the large majority of the time. I have really come to appreciate the great smoke that these cobs provide. I do occasionally go online looking for new or estate pipes but with money being tight for me right now I have to be careful not to indulge in any PAD. I do however exhibit symptoms of TAD which is just slightly less expensive than PAD.
  • Options
    I have somewhere in the vicinity of 45 pipes. And try to rotate them on a regular basis. Seems to me when a collection reaches 200 to 400 you can't possibly keep track of which pipes you've smoked so it becomes more of a collection to be admire more so than smoked. 
  • Options
    Lol.  A lot of veteran pipers in this sting.  This newb has four briars and one cob with a fifth briar scheduled to be delivered to my home today at any moment.
  • Options
    What day is it? My collection changes. My puppy took care of a briar and a churchwarden meerschaum. I live on a sailboat and the moisture got to my calabash. Lost a couple over the years. Currently, I have 7. This one is my oldest. I bought it over 50 years ago in Austria. 20120106074521
  • Options

This is intended for collectors with 50 or more pipes ... probably more like the guys & gals with 100 to 400 pipes in their collection. Do you have pipes that are strictly for show or expensive collector's items and you never intend to smoke on display? Or simply never got around to smoking them yet because of the size of your collection.

Over the years I'm amassed quite a collection of 'stuff' from movie memorabilia to antiques both my wife and I enjoy. But for the most part I'm one of those collectors who - if collecting toys - immediately devaluates them by removing them from their original package to display them on a shelf. I don't collect for the sake of a future investment. And simply like to display and enjoy my collections around the house for all to see. I have Universal Monsters on shelves, full-sized replicas from ALIEN movies (facehuggers, chestbursters & the like ... though no full-sized ALIEN as of yet), books, DVDs, CD, and all kinds of stuff. Like I said in an earlier post ... I subscribe to the philosophy of Ray Bradbury & Ray Harryhausen who made a pact to "Grow old ... but never grow-up".

And that stuff in my collection also includes my pipes. But as for my pipe collection I rotate my collection and try to smoke everyone at sometime or another - and don't just have them for displaying purpose.   

• Options
    I added one more to my collection Thursday night when I won a last night smoke competition. Now is just need one or two more.

@ghostsofpompeii - I only have about 50 at the moment and maybe 5 are ones I bought real cheap because of damage that were only intended to be display pipes.
  • Options
    Just added a new one to my collection,a large Ben Wade Freehand Egg.
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    I am not sure of the exact number but I know more than 25 and less than 100. I know some do not consider clay or cob just briar when they count their pipes but my collection is all inclusive from clay to cob to briar and gourd even a porcelain pipe. I enjoy what I have and it definitely fluctuates from time to time.
  • Options
    Just added one more to my collection.
  • Options
    Hiker007Hiker007 Enthusiast
    I have one that I smoke, one new never been smoked, one corn cob, and two I want to learn how to refurbish. For a BIG total of 5.
  • Options
    One more, just one more.
  • Options
    I'm in a minimalist stage of life, so I have culled the herd to 9 pipes, all briars.