Home The Lounge
Options

What to Smoke during a Mandatory Evacuation

Greetings fellow TPLers,

Recently I went through a very stressful, tense ordeal here in NorCal.  As some of you may know, both of the Oroville Dam's spillways failed due to the excessive amounts of water and overflow from Lake Oroville.  The main spillway suffered some damage that caused Department of Water Resources (DWR) to decide to shut it down.  This caused the water level to increase to the point that it began to flow over the auxiliary spillway which hadn't been used for 48 years since it was built.  It was poorly constructed and the soil at its 30 foot base began to quickly erode creating a situation where the auxiliary spillway's structural integrity became threatened.  If it failed, a 30 foot wall of water would wash down Feather River flooding most everything in it's path.  A decision was made to enforce a Mandatory Evacuation to several communities including the one I live in, Plumas Lake.  There is a rather lengthy backstory here about the gross mismanagement of the Oroville Dam (not to mention the thousands of other dams in California).  Deferred maintenance is not a smart thing to do when public safety is concerned. 

Funny thing is (or foolish depending on your point-of-view), I sent the Mrs to safer ground at my stepson's house and I stayed behind.  I was packed and ready to go if the spillway fell and I knew that I had 8-12 hours before the floodwaters reached the Feather River which is exactly 1 mile from our house.  Hunkered down at home listening to the local law enforcement's broadcasts and watching the countless helicopters and drones flying overhead, I took solace in my pipe.  I can honestly say that I think I smoked 2oz of Lane BS-005.  For whatever reason, that was the most relaxing tobacco I had at the time.  Thank you Lane Limited!!!  Needless to say, the last 72 hours have been quite stressful.  Thankfully, they lifted the Mandatory Evacuation yesterday and allowed everyone back home. 

-Regards, Matthew

Comments

• Options
    Glad everything is OK, @serentil. There needs to be a serious program of infrastructure  maintenance and overall in this country, that should focus on the needs of the country as a whole and the communities most directly impacted,looking towards the future,not just doing what has always been done. This really needs to be coordinated at the Federal level,with serious planning, discussion, and thought.
  • Options
    You are 100% correct @judandhispipe.  I'm not one for political dialogue but I will say that Gov 'Moonbeam' Brown spent a ridiculous amount on non-vital issues while ignoring infrastructure in California and we're paying for it now.  It is either pay $$$ now or pay $$$$$ later.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Always keep a stockpile in an undisclosed location. 

That said, if an emergency does exist where you have to choose between your safety and a pouch of your favorite shag, run for the hills and I'll gladly send you emergency supplies as needed.