Home General
Options

What Is The Most You've Ever Paid For A Pipe?

I just left the EBAY pipe auction site and noticed two pipes going for an astronomical sum of money ... a Kent Rasmussen Pipe listed at $11,500.00 and a Lasse Skougaard for $7,500.00. For the life of me I can't fathom anyone in their right mind paying that much for a pipe unless the briar comes from an enchanted forest in Ireland with three wishes attached to it. What could you possibly do with that Kent Rasmussen pipe once you've bought it, other than preserve it under glass in a hermetically sealed display case? It's a museum piece. I can't imagine the owner striking a match anywhere near it, let alone actually smoke it because that would devalue the pipe. And pipes are made to smoke. But with a price tag of $11,500.00 or $7,500.00 an investment like that would never leave the display case.

But coming back down to Earth, and if I may be so bold as to ask, what is the most you've ever spent for a pipe?

Or if you're a relative newcomer to pipe collecting and your current collection consists of cobs, an inexpensive basket pipe, or a good old reliable Dr. Grabow or Medico purchased from a drug store... what is the maximum price you would pay for a pipe? 

Comments

• Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Pricing something involves an almost infinite set of variables. 'The invisible hand' as a genius once said. I too think that is almost insane but would think differently if it were me on the receiving end of that check! For someone it might be worth it and maybe their disposable income would allow them to purchase it. If it were only a question of need, why none of us need pipes at all. I do hope that both parties are happy with that kind of trade. If someone is just putting out a huge number hoping for a bite, hopefully  there are no takers overpaying, which might then drive up price artificially. In the long run the market will determine the price of things.

As far as my own purchase limit, that's another matter. What if my wife were to stumble upon this site? Now the hand would no longer be invisible but real, and possibly mad. Let's just say it was in the mid to upper range of what a 50 year old Dunhill sells for on Smoking pipes dot com. Far less than the eleven thousand FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS asked for in that auction.

Let's just say 75 bucks and leave it at that. 

• Options
    I've found that I really enjoy finding beat up old pipes from antique stores and restoring them to beauty. That being said, I think the most I've ever paid for a pipe is $20, which was probably a little high for that particular pipe.
  • Options

I remember reading in one of Rick Newcomb's books, how the values of collectible pipes have skyrocketed. It seems that one of Bo Nordh's pipes went for around $30,000 and was purchased by either a Chinese or Japanese businessman. To someone who makes millions of dollars a year, $30,000 would be similar to you or I paying $100.

When you are talking prices at that level, you are talking about pipes that have collectible value, number one because of who carved them, and number two, because there are very few of them left in existence. Some collectors decide to set their sights on putting together a 7 day set, from a carver that has a deep roots in pipe making history. If you are planning to put together an unsmoked Sixten Ivarsson 7 day set, you are going to need patience and deep pockets. After waiting a decade to find an unsmoked Bamboo Peewit, you might be inclined to pay more than you originally intended.

You have to realize that some of these people are the same that collect very expensive art and wines. Like I have said before, it all comes down to personal satisfaction, and people with lots of money can sometimes be harder to please or impress. Since ebay is a worldwide market, you will find sellers selling everyday items for outrageous prices. If you doubt this, start searching on ebay for average items, and narrow your search to highest first. Also, note where the item is located, which will sometimes make you smirk.

When it comes to reasonable pipe prices, I have found that there is a breaking point, between paying for craftsmanship, and paying for brand. Most pipes below a certain price range, have very little attention paid to internal stem work. Since good stem work can take as long or longer to finish than the briar, pipe prices can double or triple due to increased labor. So how much difference does internal stem work make? It can make a slight difference in tongue bite, condensation buildup, and temperature of smoke, but arguably it is slight.

Think of it this way, if a pipe maker spends 40 hours carving a single pipe, and sells it for $800, they are earning $20 per hour before taxes. I think it goes without saying that they are not getting rich quick. However, some pipe makers have processes that take longer than others, to achieve the results they are known for.

On the flip side of the coin, there is something called the law of diminishing returns. I have a general idea in my own mind where that dollar figure lies, and when I see pipes priced above that price point, I feel that were I to purchase a particular pipe, I would be paying the extra money for brand.

I remember when I went down to a local tobacconist to buy my first pipe, I made up my mind that I would not spend over $100. I ended up purchasing a pipe marked $150 for $120. This was the major hurdle for me getting into pipe smoking, because I felt the prices for pipes were outrageous. Back then, I didn't know enough about the hobby to know that a quality block of briar can go for $50 to $100 in today's market. I also hadn't learned that some excellent estate pipes can be obtained, at a fraction of their original cost.

When I started learning about pipe smoking history, and highly skilled pipe carvers, it changed my attitude concerning what I am willing to pay for a pipe. It's as hard to say what I would pay for a particular pipe, as is the question of I would pay for a new car. I remember my dad paying $11,500 for a new Cadillac in the mid 70's, but you won't see a new one for that price today.

I won't take out a loan to finance a pipe, but I have been known to put one on layaway.

• Options
    $150 is the most I have ever paid for a pipe.

• Options
    I've paid up to $75. My self-imposed limit is around $100 for the rare pipe that I may consider worth it.
  • Options
    Three pipes I bought in the 1960's, two Carey's and a Duncan Hill, were $15, $15, and around $30. Since taking up pipe smoking last summer I bought two more Carey's, used, from eBay, again at $15 each. So, I guess I'm the most frugal pipe smoker here.....  ;-)
  • Options

I bought a Peterson new from the now defunct Peterson Counter at Shannon Airport for $65 in 1972, all the rest of them were bought by my Wife as Birthday Presents bought in the same place till 1981. When I discovered Estate Pipes I set my limit to $65 and have never exceeded it.

• Options
    IndyJGIndyJG Apprentice
    I've spent up to $350-400 for a couple of brand new Cavicchi pipes. The rest of the briar pipes I own I've spent from $75 to around $250. Most of what I have purchased, Claudio Cavicchi and Tonino Jacono pipes make up the majority of my collection, were estates with a few new pipes mixed in. I rarely buy pipes as of late. I own 14 briar pipes and a single cob pipe. The $5 cob was only pipe I've purchased in the last two years.
  • Options
    The most I have paid for a pipe is $150 for a meerschaum pipe that I have enjoyed smoking and watching color.  Average price for my briar pipes are in the $60-75 range and are estate pipes.  I also have a couple of cob pipes you can pick up for less than $20.
  • Options
    Right now I only got cobs, but if I was in the market for something else I could never justify spending more than $50, I can get pipes that burn well for under that