Home General
Options

Resurgence of Pipe Smoking

The article entitled The Resurgence of Pipe Smoking makes a fundamental error in that it states that during the 1980s pipe smokers didn't have the time or desire to do custom blends and that was one of the reasons that pipe smoking waned.
The truth is, from my experience, and I started smoking pipes in 1970, is that there were very few pipe smokers who tried to come up with their own custom blend. The vast majority of pipe smokers smoked the blends that were available at the local drugstore. Brands such as Sir Walter Raleigh, Prince Albert, Captain Black, Amphora and Carter Hall. The smoker with money and a taste for the more went to the few pipe shops and bought something from Dunhill or the house blend. But back in those days the common pipes were were Kaywoodie, Medico or Missouri Meerschaum. It was the rare bird who smoked a Peterson, a GBD, or a Butz-Choquin.
The reason that pipe smoking declined, in my opinion, is that the speed of life had increased and the anti-tobacco lobby made the claim that pipe smoking was as harmful as cigarette smoking. People became impatient. They no longer had the patience to put up with the oddities of a pipe compared to the smoking of a cigarette or cigar. To put it in the terms of the various pool games, there was a time when 14.1 (or call shot pool) was the norm. It's a long and thinking game. The 8 ball became popular - faster and simpler. And finally 9-ball - fast and simple. Each has its attractions and each falls in and out of favor according to the time.

Comments

• Options
    Patience in one virtue which is sadly lacking in the world today. This new generation is probably going to burn themselves out decades ahead of time. Everything is ramped-up to operate at the speed of light, and pipe smoking is quite the opposite, requiring a person to put their foot on the brake and shift LIFE in neutral gear for a moment in time. A time for reflection over reaction - meditation over motivation. I guess most people are now so hard-wired for a hectic lifestyle that their idea of chilling out is mastering a hyper-active video game. Me, I appreciating the laid back  'oddities of pipe smoking'.        
  • Options
  • Options
    For me one of the big reasons that attracted me to pipe/cigar smoking was the fact that it forced me to slow down and enjoy things which coincidentally that mindset has spilt into the other parts of my life. There really is something to be said about being able to sit in silence and just listen to the sounds of nothingness.
  • Options
    I agree. Being of this generation we could use more pipe smokers. Or at least the pipe smoker mentality of slowing down. That's I was drawn to the simplicity and the way it forced me to slow down and gave me time to think and have interesting conversations if I was smoking with a partner. 
  • Options
    MaukaPiperMaukaPiper Newcomer
    edited February 2017
    The YouTube channel "The Great War" (segment starts at the 2:50 mark) had a segment talking about pipe and cigarette smoking during WWI. One also might be able to argue that modern war has also contributed to the decline in preference for pipes as a means of consuming tobacco. It's an interesting take on the discussion. Side note, that YouTube channel is so awesome!   
  • Options
    @motie2 The guy in the picture looks like Paul Stanley of KISS.
  • Options
    Nah, more like Terry Knight

imgres
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Terry Knight? Didn't he play Ted Baxter?
  • Options
    Terry Knight & The Pack was one of Michigan’s most popular bands in the mid-Sixties. They recorded numerous regional hits, but the band only managed to break into the Billboard Hot 100 once with their cover of Ben E. King’s “I (Who Have Nothing)”. Terry Knight and The Pack is probably most important, however, as the launching pad for Mark Farner, later of Grand Funk Railroad.
  • Options
    But I digress........
  • Options
    Ted Knight played Ted Baxter.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    WHY DON’T PEOPLE SMOKE PIPES ANY MORE?!

Excerpt:

<<10 perfectly good reasons that I smoke a pipe:

10.  It keeps me from chewing on my pen.
    9.    It is relatively inexpensive compared to other forms of smoking.
    8.    The variety of tobacco blends and flavors are endless. Endless!
    7.    It makes me feel calm and relaxed.
    6.    I can just stick it in my mouth whenever I get the urge for a chocolate bar.
    5.    It makes me look smart even when I can’t remember where I left my glasses.
    4.    Taking a few extra puffs during an argument gives me time to think before I say something stupid.
    3.    I usually don’t get asked to put it out.
    2.    It keeps my dog from licking me in the face.
    1.    I already have a wife so I no longer need to try and appeal to the fairer sex!>>
  • Options
    Hiker007Hiker007 Enthusiast
    I have found that smoking a pipe has helped me to slow down and spend time thinking and relaxing. When I first started I was afraid I was not going to do something right. However, this on-line community of friends has helped me to discover the art of enjoying the smoke.
  • Options
    The Pipe has always helped me at work by giving me a break from the hectic pressure of the job at hand and allowing me to think when faced with complex problems. It would then reward me for a job well done.
  • Options

My first attempt to post this got a "has to be approved" note, so I'm trying again. Source is unknown. If you can source it, please post the credit here. It's a nice piece of work.

<<This is a golden age of pipe smoking! Today there are hundreds of companies and independent artisan pipemakers producing pipes each year with more cropping up regularly. There are thousands of tobacco blends of every variety available along with a steady influx of new blends being introduced. One is no longer limited to the stock of one's local tobacconist's shop because the internet has provided access to unlimited resources for pipes and tobacco. In this age where brick-and-mortar shops are becoming scarce, online retailers (or "e-tailers" as they are sometimes called) are flourishing. Without a doubt, the internet has been a key factor in the evolution of pipe smoking.

Years ago pipe smokers purchased their pipes and tobaccos at a local shop or through a mail-order catalog. Choices were usually very limited according to what was being carried at that time by the shops. There was not a large variety of brands, shapes and sizes of pipes. Tobacco choices consisted of some premium brands like Dunhill, "drugstore" brands and house blends of local shops. Some of these local shops made some wonderful blends but were virtually unknown outside of the local area.

Information about pipes was not easy to find. New pipe smokers wishing to learn the basics of the gentle art usually had to find a mentor to teach them how to properly pack, light, smoke and care for the pipe. More than a few tobacconists gave crash courses to new customers making their first purchase. Most new pipe smokers were taught the standard "three-level" packing technique, given a bag of aromatic tobacco and sent along their way.

With the implementation of the internet into the public mainstream came the Usenet group "alt.smokers.pipes". This newsgroup hosted a virtual community sharing a plethora of knowledge and experience in pipe smoking. New smokers could ask questions to seasoned veterans from the comfort of their own sofas. Information about various brands of pipes and tobaccos were shared between people all over the world. Some members traded pipes and tobaccos, discovered new blends and brands, learned new ways to pack a pipe and invented better ways to maintain a pipe. Eventually, the old myths were exposed as just that...myths.

As a result of having access to such a large pool of pipe lore, smokers began to enjoy the gentle art more than they had prior to joining the newsgroup. Several commercial web sites were created as "virtual smoke shops" and soon one could purchase those pipes and blends discussed online. Imagine the feeling of discovering that no-name pipe you thought was a high quality briar was just mediocre once experiencing a true high-grade! The gentle art of pipe smoking was virtually re-invented and re-discovered much to the delight of new smokers and veterans alike.

Today the internet hosts hundreds, if not thousands, of pipe-related sites. Online retailers have vast inventories and diverse selections. New artisan pipemakers create works of art in their homes and sell them on their own web sites. Some pipemakers and tobacco blenders have participated in the online pipe community giving smokers direct interaction with the creators of their favorite blends and pipes. It is a tight-knit community, a "Brotherhood of the Briar", that continues to support the gentle art and keeps it alive.

Through the internet we have a much better understanding of our pipes. Pipemakers teach us how pipes work and what makes them great and what makes them firewood. We know more about tobacco and how blends come together because we have master blenders sharing their expertise about the Leaf. Having a better understanding of the intricities allows us to appreciate that much more all of the work that is put into our beloved tools of tranquility.

Despite the smoking bans and other attempts to reduce tobacco consumption, pipe-related commerce shows no signs of slowing down. People are still buying new pipes, tobaccos and accessories. New blends are still being produced with more to come. In this golden age of pipe smoking we are keeping the art alive and growing. Many new pipe smokers are picking up their first briars each day. There is much available for everyone and it is our duty to enjoy it all.>>

• Options
    @Montecristo Here's my response to a similar themed post a while back pertaining to a resurgence in pipe smoking.

Each new generation has a tendency to pull away from styles and traditions of the generation before them almost as a right of passage, and a proclamation that 'their' time has come. So what may have been cool for their parents' generation is now by default uncool for theirs. And to many from both Generation X and the New Millennial's, Pipe smoking represents a 50s' & 60s' bygone era associated with retro TV programming like "Father Knows Best", "Leave It To Beaver", and Hugh Hefner's late night talk show/party "Playboy After Dark".

Movies like "The Lord Of The Rings" may have sparked a bit of interest in churchwarden pipes smoked by wizards, warriors, and little people - but no one in the audience was influenced enough to become a Hobbit and adapt their lifestyle. So for members of this generation wanting to join the smoking community - while still independently disassociating themselves from the trends of the past - did so by putting their own spin on the smoking experience with Vapor E-Cigarettes and a variety of new Vaping Delivery Systems. These are the new pipe smokers of the 21st. Century.

Patience is a virtue sadly lacking in the world today. This new generation is probably going to burn themselves out decades before their time. Everything is ramped-up to operate at the speed of light, and pipe smoking is quite the opposite, requiring a person to put their foot on the brake and shift 'LIFE' into neutral gear for a brief moment in time. A time for reflection over reaction, and meditation over motivation.

The New Millenniums have become so hard-wired for a hectic lifestyle that their idea of chilling out is mastering the latest hyper-active video game, while simultaneously texting a three-way conversation with friends.

Me, I appreciating the laid back 'oddities of pipe smoking'.

But who knows what's the next trend in these crazy days before the zombie apocalypse. Possibly some paparazzi will snap a few shots of a mega trend setting celebrity smoking a pipe in public, which in turn sparks a true resurgence in pipe smoking as devoted followers flock to the nearest tobacco shop to purchase the latest Lady Gaga pipe creation.

• Options
    @Londy3 I'm the same way. My DVD and Blu-Ray buying habits are now leaning more towards older classic movies and TV series from the past. And in the case of older TV series, you can get them for a decent price. A mail order site - Hamilton Books - offers  excellent prices on old flicks and TV series. I recently picked up Season Two and Three of "The Wild Wild West" for $5.95 each. That's hour of entertainment for less than a cup of coffee at Starbucks.
    And speaking of digging into the old ways ... I've recently began using Old Spice as my go to cologne. Talk about vintage.     
  • Options
    @vtgrad2003;
    Oooooh, baby, baby, Brother!
  • Options
    @ghostsofpompeii

RESURGENCE OF PIPE SMOKING

Originally published elsewhere on ThisPipeLife.com

Pipe smoking has been experiencing a popular resurgence in recent years. Some cite the influence of hipster culture on the mainstream or a collective desire to return to an idealized view of the past. It could just be that more smokers are turning away from cigarettes and cigars and towards the most fulfilling and stylish alternative. Whatever the reasons, many more people are picking up the briar for the first time now than in the last several years with no signs of slowing down.

Presumably, pipe smoking faded as a societal norm and the primary form of tobacco consumption during the 1980s. People simply couldn't be bothered to take the time necessary to craft their own blends before lighting and smoking. This was a time beset by the rise of instant gratification, the mortal enemy of the stoic pipe smoker. Today's technology and rate of change has kicked instant gratification into overdrive, so it's not hard to imagine why more and more people would want a break from the continuous battle for their attention that modern life demands and take a minute to slow down and get back to old traditions. We continue to see more and more people who are new to this lifestyle at pipe shows across the country. Everything from the customization of tobacco blends to the intricacy of the pipe craftsmanship draws people into this vibrant culture.  

Smoking your pipe allows for a type of quiet and stillness that people just don't get as much these days and that's probably a large part of the appeal. Sure, there's a large and welcoming community, a constant stream of new experiences and products, and a devoted infrastructure, but in our opinion what's really drawing and holding so many new people to the briar can be found in those quiet moments.  Yes, that may be a bit of a stretch and we can't really back that up with proof, but it just feels right you know?

Historically speaking, tobacco is one of the most important crops ever grown, so its only right that it'd reclaim the spotlight eventually. The native North and South Americans cultivated tobacco for religious and trade purposes as far back as 3000 years ago, and infatuation with the plant was a driving factor behind European colonialism. By the 1800s, taxes on tobacco accounted for 1/3rd of the total internal revenue collected by the United States government. One could easily say that pipe tobacco helped shape the modern world. All of this is to say that we don't think the resurgence is a temporary fad. We truly believe this noble hobby has persevered for hundreds of years because it speaks to us on a higher level. Smoking is cathartic. Bonding with others over mutual experiences is human, and humans have been smoking tobacco with each other for a long time.

Today, just like 300 or even 3000 years ago, there's nothing quite like the slow but gratifying process of packing and smoking a bowl. It doesn't matter who you are or what your reasons for smoking are. Young or old, fad or not, pipe smoking is still the gift of quiet reflection and universal oneness the Native Americans thought it to be. The hobby will continue whether everyone is into it or not but our job as members of this club is to encourage everyone we can to join. Veterans should take charge and guide new smokers towards the best parts of pipe life. Newbies, satisfy your curiosity here at ThisPipeLife.com. We're glad to have you.

See also https://forum.thispipelife.com/discussion/665/new-in-the-lounge-the-resurgence-of-pipe-smoking

• Options
    I like ice cream.
  • Options
    Pecan Praline with caramel, and Triple Mango😋
  • Options
    vtgrad2003vtgrad2003 Master
    edited March 2023
    I love mango, but exactly how much more mango is that? I once had mint chocolate chip with 'double the chips'...not sure it was...it was more like 1/3 more, but it sounded good!
  • Options
    @vtgrad2003
    Well….Mango flavored ice cream, Mango fruit chunks, and mango fruit swirl.
    So lots more😉

Oh, I forgot the Eggnog Ice Cream😋

They are all Baskin Robbins Flavors.

Dang, I’ve been craving ice cream for a couple of weeks…darn you @opipeman🙂
  • Options

Jamoca Almond Fudge

• Options
    @mapletop
    Yep, another of my top ten picks🙂
  • Options
    Graeter’s Raspberry Chocolate Chip
  • Options