Home Tobacco Talk
Options

The Common Cold and Tobacco Taste, What to do?

I have four kids, so I get several colds during the season, or I'm often fighting one off. Colds affect my tastebuds and palate. So much so I can't taste the finer nuanced flavors of my tobaccos. It can really 'dumb down' a quality tobacco smoke. I'm looking for suggestions of very strong flavored tobaccos that may have a chance of being tasted despite a cold. I smoke English blends, usually medium to strong in taste. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Comments

• Options

IMO, the intelligent approach here, would be to try to address the issue of how you are getting sick, and attempt to avoid getting sick altogether. Smoking a pipe while you are sick, can put you at a severe disadvantage, and can leave you with serious lung and breathing issues. Yes, it is true, even though we do not intentionally inhale, smoking a pipe while you are sick can exacerbate your condition.

It could kill you, but most likely you will end up being prescribed a steroid inhaler, and will get over the condition eventually.

Don't ask me how I know. I might be totally forthright, and relate a personal story.

• Options
    I used to deal daily with children and teenagers. Since retirement, three years ago, no more colds. In re: pipe smoking and the common cold -- wait until you're feeling better.  ;-)
  • Options
    I agree with motie2, Since the kids grew up the colds have stopped.
  • Options

I agree with @xDutchx and when I get sick I avoid the pipe altogether. Especially if it involves the respiratory system. I contracted pneumonia on two separate occasions one winter and since that time when-ever the flu comes around - and if I catch it - it goes right to my lungs and I develop a severe respiratory infection, putting me on my ass for a week or so. And the last thing on my mind is smoking.

My suggestion is kick the cold, heal up, then once healthy enough to smoke again you'll enjoy your first bowl all the more.  

• Options
    I have to agree with the others above. While it's frustrating dealing with a cold when you want to have a pipe, it's better to set it aside and focus on getting better. You don't want to prolong the duration of your sickness by smoking, plus you won't get the full enjoyment of it with your sinuses acting up. I've tried having a pipe while fighting a cold, and I've found it's just better to wait it out so you can enjoy it when you're feeling better.

You might want to try taking echinacea on a daily basis, as that's a natural supplement that can help fight colds. I've used it before and its helped me. Try that and a Vitamin C supplement, since it seems to be a common problem for you.
  • Options
    Can I say that I love this; "Forget the cold, give me a strong blend!"  
    Image result for A cold, you mean
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice @xDutchx @motie2 @Woodsman @ghostsofpompeii @thebadgerpiper @Deadpool57
    I have the habit of taking the attitude of the guy in the Deadpool57's pic. I just don't treat a cold like much of sickness, but an annoyance. But I'm hearing you guys about the respiratory danger. Makes sense.
    On the other hand, I did have some Bayou Night yesterday evening by the fire. There is enough perique to get some of its flavors despite a minor cold.