Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Unknown maker

As I was enjoying a nice bowl with one of my smoking buddies and he gave me a few pipes that needed some cleaning 4 savinelli and this one now after some deep cleaning I finally could make out the marks it says hand made in Demark then own the under side of the shank it looks to say SOBORO, any help with this would be appreciated. I looked on the internet and found nothing.

Comments

• Options

Corey, I am guessing that the last letter was a "g," and has been partially buffed away. Soborg pipes are a line carved by Soren Refbjerg Rasmussen. He also stamped his exported pipes Soren, so the stamping could indicate that your pipe was carved and retailed in Denmark. His seconds line are stamped "Danbark," so that leads me to believe that your pipe is not a second. He has been carving since the late 60's, so there is the possibility that your pipe has substantial history.

Soborg is the name of the town where his workshop is located just outside Copenhagen. Your pipe is most likely carved from Corsican or Grecian briar. It is a great looking pipe, and it appears from the pics that you could restore her easily.

• Options
    There is a magnificent website y'all might find useful in identifying pipe makers marks/symbols: