Home General
Options

P&C Out Of Office - Gone Fishing

I bought the five tin sampler of P&C's 'Out Of Office' series a few months back, which include: "Up All Night" (Rum), "Civic Duty" (Cherry), "A Few Too Many" (Whiskey), "Lock-Out" (Vanilla), and "Gone Fishing" (Caramel), and finally got around to cracking open a few tins. I've yet to smoke "Up All Night", "Civic Duty" or "A Few Too Many" but did try the vanilla cased "Locked-Out" - and just last night smoked "Gone Fishing". And boy was it good.

This recommendation is strictly for the aromatic smoker who enjoys the sweet taste of caramel. And the smoker who doesn't recoil at the touch of a moist goopy tobacco. Because "Gone Fishing" is about as moist in the tin as Molto Dolce - another flavorful blend worth the extra effort - but believe it or not the tobacco burns to a powdery white ash. And here's the real shocker ... it leaves the bowl bone dry. At least that was my experience last night. I may have run a pipe cleaner through the stem once or twice as a precautionary measure and force of habit, but never noticed a bit of gurgle throughout the smoke. And keeping the pipe lit after the initial fire-up was not an issue as it can be with some moist aromatics. After about 45 minutes, when I assumed I was nearing the bottom of the bowl, I stirred up what was left of the tobacco with my pipe tool and did my only relight, and ended up with about ten more minutes. It was a much longer lasting smoke than I imagined it would be for the size of my bowl. I was watching the cheesy 50s' sci-fi flick "Queen Of Blood" and damn near smoked my way through the entire movie. So "Gone Fishing" proved to be a mild slow burning tobacco. The tobacco is listed a Green River black Cavendish. 

Both the tin and room note are very pleasant. Best of all the taste remained consistent to the end of the smoke. And beside being a great tasting aromatic tobacco P&C currently has a close-out sale on all five blends. And at $3.77 for a 1.75 oz. tin that's about the cheapest I've seen for a tin tobacco. That's a better price than most OTC blends, and should appeal to the smoker who enjoys the Captain Black line at half the price ... and a better smoke. I ordered four more tins to cellar since this is unfortunately going to be discontinued in the very near future.

By the way ... the vanilla blend "Locked-Out" is pretty good as well, but not so much that I would have taken the time to sit down to write a review.               

Comments