Home General
Options

Eriksen Pipe Keystones vs Traditional 6 & 9mm Charcoal Filters

Not until my introduction into the YouTube Pipe Community and the many on-line forums did I become aware of all the options available to the pipe smoker; everything from the wide array of pipe tobacco blends, improved smoking mechanics, proper cleaning and maintenance, and restoration techniques. And a useful byproduct of all that information has been discovering new on-line sources for obtaining pipes, tobacco, and the wide array of products hitherto unknown to me.

For instance the wide  array of filter systems currently available for today's pipe smokers. Up until recently I was only aware of the 6 & 9mm Medico or Dr. Grabow paper or charcoal filters sold at OTC stores. Which brings me to my question.

If you have a pipe requiring a filter, and choose to use one, which filtration system do you prefer ... Eriksen Pipe Keystones, traditional 6 & 9mm paper or charcoal filters, the Savinelli Balsa filter, or a few of the alternative options I've seen offered in catalogs like the Denicotea silica crystals or Philtpad chalk inserts which fit in the bottom of the bowl?

I have a real problem with traditional paper and charcoal filters because they tend to get bitter and change the taste of the tobacco after only one use. They claim to be good for about three smokes ... but in my estimation it's best to dispose of them after one smoke. And even though they are not that expensive ... it can add up if you have several bowls a day.

I've been using the Eriksen Keystones, and although they do seem to sop-up a majority of that excess moisture - I'm not so sure it truly filters what-ever harmful byproducts are in the smoke itself, as the charcoal filters claim to do. So 90% of the time I smoke with no filter system at all and hope for the best.

I figured with so many knowledgeable longtime pipe smokers here I'm bound to get a little input on each of the product lines mentioned - and a helpful critique of each.           

Comments

• Options
    I can't offer much help in discerning the difference. I never use filters anymore. I've found them to be a waste of time. I agree after one smoke the flavor changes. Filters also seem to change the pull which I just dislike. Either way the smoke is entering your mouth and contains nicotine(the harmful stuff) so they just aren't worth it to me. Plus I don't want to limit my pipe buying options to those that have filter capability.
  • Options
    I don't know if the filters are supposed to filter out harmful byproducts. I've always thought they were designed to filter out the moisture. I have a couple of pipes that are supposed to use filters but I either just leave them out or use the Balsa filters from Savinelli. 
  • Options
    I own four E.A. Carey "Magic Inch" pipes and one Duncan Hill Aerosphere; all are system pipes. I got rid of all my other pipes over the years. I have found Carey's to be perfect pipe for the way I smoke: cool and with no bite.
  • Options
    @motie2 I also have a Carey "Magic Inch" pipe and fully agree that it's a great smoking pipe. But because of the design it can be a bit unforgiving if packed improperly. If a normal pipe is packed too tightly you'll have difficultly drawing on the pipe due to the restriction. Whereas due to the patented design of the Carey "Magic Inch" Pipe filter system the restriction could be masked because you're pulling in airflow from the side gills (for lack of a better word) - and not the bowl -  through the filter, then down the stem to the mouthpiece - yet no copious amount of smoke is actually making it's way from the bowl to your mouth. When I first started using the pipe, and if packed improperly, I'd find myself puffing like a lunatic during the light-up, trying to get the tobacco to accept the flame, but to no avail. And I couldn't understand what the problem was. Then once my little insect brain figured it out and I repacked the pipe everything was fine and the pipe smoked as advertised. To alleviate the problem I now insert a pipe cleaner through the stem all the way to the bowl before packing to insure the airway is not blocked. It seems to work for me. And the Carey provides a nice cool smoke.     
  • Options
    <<it can be a bit unforgiving if packed improperly>>

Yes, sir. You are absolutely correct. However, I'd hasten to add, the same is true of any pipe, but, yes, the Carey design presents a unique challenge if the bowl is packed improperly. 
  • Options
    Most of my pipes are 9mm. The 9mm filters are filled with charcoal so they will "clean" some of the smoke, and absorb moisture. There are some hard to find 9mm meerschaum that do not "clean" the smoke.

The big benefit of the 9mm filter is they cool the smoke; so you can puff like a dragon without tongue bit. The charcoal filters do remove some of the flavors of aromatics, natural tobaccos don't seam to be affected.

6mm paper filters are only for moisture. Personally I'd rather smoke unfiltered than 6mm.