Home The Lounge
Options

Favorite Summer Vacay!

As we get closer and closer to longer lit days and warmer nights we are, inevitably, also getting ready for the Summer Vacations!  My question to you all is what is favorite vacation spot?  Also your favorite tobacco in the heat and your favorite pipes for summer lounging? Hell, I might as well ask which summer beer makes for a supreme vacation! (This seemed to be quite a debate in an earlier forum discussion) 

I am more of a lighter beer man in the summer (Hefeweizen and IPAs) and a non-aramotic (Typically Peterson Irish Flake).  My favorite  vacation spot in Panama City Beach for the food, the location, and overall price of entertainment.  

Comments

• Options
    I don't usually have time off during the summer for vacations but nothing beats sitting on the porch on a warm summers evening. As for for tobacco I smoke whatever I'm in the mood for and I really enjoy beers that are brewed with fruit in it, one of the craft breweries up here has a beer that's brewed with blueberries in it, also leinenkugel's summer shandy is a local favorite up here whch is brewed with lemonade in it.
  • Options
    Summer is generally my busiest time of year but if I ever get the chance I love to go camping. I smoke a lot more lat heavy blends in the summer and drink a lot more IPAs. Minnesota is ripe with fantastic craft beer so there's never a shortage of great options.
  • Options
    I have the predicament of being very limited on how far I can travel because of a spinal injury but the good fortune of living in a place I love.  The sea is where I love to spend my time and living in Rhode Island gives me that chance.  Being in the smallest state but still managing to have somewhere in the region of 400 miles of coastline (all the islands and bays make for more beaches than I can count!) gives my family and I the ability to head to misquamicut or narragansett for a summer day or head to point judith with some shovels so we can go clam digging at low tide.  I am also a history lover and I try to get to places like Plymouth to see plymouth rock and the plimoth plantation as well as Salem, MA, Mystic, CT to see the seaport.  We even managed to tour the re-created Mayflower last year.  Of course if we are in the Boston area we try to hit Fenway Park for a Sox game.  Fortunately for me and my injury all of this is under an hour from our home making it possible for me to do it.  I take a corn cob pipe and a blend that has a decent aroma with me and have a coastal New England summer every single year.
  • Options
    I don't have one spot I go on vacation.  Like a lot of Michiganders, nothing beats heading Up North - which means north of Clare. I've camped many times, I've rented cottages - all can be good. When traveling, I may reduce the number of pipes and blends I take along, just for ease of management. There was that time a couple of years ago I took a whole rack of pipes, placed it a cardboard box, and carefully put it on the floor in the back seat of my car. That was for a cottage vacation a couple of years ago,when there was a nice big porch to sit on and smoke.

• Options
    We haven't taken a long vacation since I started working for myself. What the wife and I do now is several 3-day weekend vacations during the summer. 
  • Options
    I love camping with friends in MD and going to Cape Cod with my Wife. I usually take my Falcons with me as they're tough and weather resistant.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    What's a vacation?
  • Options
    Bar Harbor, Maine -- days spent hiking in Acadia National Park, right across the road from town; nights spent in town, drinking beer and eating seafood

Rehoboth Beach, Delaware - all day at the beach; all night drinking beer and eating seafood
  • Options
    Folly Beach SC. Love the Low Country culture and cuisine, the beach, the barbecue, the history of Charleston and surrounds. Way too windy though to smoke a pipe on the beach.
  • Options
    Outer Banks of North Carolina every year for me. It's quite nice in the spring and fall as well. Usually stay in Kitty Hawk or Nags Head. Often a great place to practice pipe smoking under very windy conditions.
  • Options
    IndyJGIndyJG Apprentice
    I rarely get to take a true vacation, especially in the summer, due to work or finances. However, a couple of times over the last ten years I was able to take time off in late summer and rent a cabin along the Ohio River in southern Indiana for several days. Incredibly relaxing and beautiful vacations both times. I also cherish a couple of vacations taken as a kid with my family in the late 1980s/1990 of upstate New York and New England. I would love to revisit those areas again.
  • Options
    I hear the North East of the USA is spectacular!   I don't think I'll even get close to arriving to that side of the US for a few more years.  I would love to see the history of the areas.  The farthest east I've been has always been in the bible belt.  I can't wait to go north!
  • Options
    Just outside of Lake George New York. Less than a 15 minute ride to all the tourist action in town. We rent several cabins on a private lake where you can swim, fish, canoe, etc. They have everything there including BBQ pits, horse shoes, badminton, and a nice little beach to relax. Last year I think I smoked probably a hundred cigars sitting on that beach, this year I will take cigars AND several pipes with an ample tobacco supply.

The Adirondack region in upstate New York is gorgeous. I have been to Lake George numerous times, and all up around Lake Placid, Saranac Lake, etc. where the higher peaks are located.

Cup o' Joes is in Queensburry NY (south of Lake George) which is not too awful far away. I may have to visit and perhaps buy some more tobacco.
  • Options
    I actually think of a few things when I'm reflecting on favorite vacay's.

First would be the most memorable vacations with my wife & kids, these would include; The Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Muir Woods, Lake Tahoe, Chimney Rock, Bodega Bay, Pensacola Beach, Duck & Corolla NC, Washington D.C. & Fly fishing in Greer AZ.

Second would be most memorable destinations & journeys.  Destinations were usually scuba trips; Guam, Truk, Tinian, Palau, Okinawa, Kauai, Oahu, Molokai, Maui, Grand Cayman, Bimini & Freeport.

Third would include memorable road trips or trips in a V-Tail Bonanza we used to own.  Road Trips; Driving and ferrying up the Outer Banks, Ghost towns of AZ, Red River NM, Ruidoso NM, Grand Canyon & Zion trip.  Flying trips; From Pinehurst to Portsmouth NH (neat flying up the coast, over NYC & Boston), Pinehurst to Nashville, OKC, Albuquerque, Show Low, Scottsdale, Corona, Napa and back home.  Day trip to Kitty Hawk.  Trip to Naples, got to see one of the last Space Shuttle Launches while in the air.

Fourth & final favorite was actually a Staycation.  It was right after we moved to Pinehurst from Iowa.  That summer they had the 2005 U.S. Golf Open in town.  Our neighbors from IA came down and stayed with us.  Every morning Joe & I got up and played a round at one of the 45 or so courses in the area, went home for lunch with the fam & then went to the Open in the afternoon.  Each evening we would cook out on the deck, smoke cigars, drink scotch and watch the kids play in the back yard.  Each night I got to sleep in my own bed!

I might not be rich in net worth but I am blessed with many many rich experiences.

Cheers

Dino
  • Options
    We typically don't vacation in the summer. We live in Maine, so there's really no reason to leave in summer. Winter, however, is another story altogether! We try to get to a little fishing & surfing village on the west coast of Mexico -- Troncones -- each winter. Sadly, we didn't make it this winter and missed it terribly.
  • Options
    I have similar issue after back surgery with @paulwansing so we restrict our vacations to a series or one day jaunts that usually take less than three hours to reach in various locations in Indiana. We may do the Covered Bridge journeys in central Indiana, spend time with the Amish in the Eastern part, or simply aim our car down Route 41 and see how far we can get before we get too stiff to continue. A lot of the places we go to are usually outdoors in nature. I really do want to spend an evening in a nice secluded cabin on a lake sometime in the near future.  
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    I rarely vacation but my mind often wanders to Veronica Lake.