Home The Lounge
Options

Can a Younger Crowd Sway the Masses?

Well...... Could they?   Why does the stereotype that,"Old Men Smoke Pipes" have to be true?  When I began, regularly, smoking out of my Dubliner; I was ridiculed and looked down upon.  People would call you Sherlock or think that you are trying to be fancy (Not that I took the world's greatest detective's name as an insult!).  God forbid I actually enjoyed what I smoked and it wasn't a cigarette.   

The strangest thing has happened since those high school days; all ages/sexes want to smoke a pipe or at least try it now.  We get so caught up in the "look" of how we are smoking that we forget to just take that moment out of our day, load a bowl, and relax.   St. Louis, Missouri is an area that is few and far between with pipe smoker but one thing is certain; you are noticed, whether you want to be or not.  Either by smell or by sight of your pipe; you arise the inquisitive minds of the young masses that have no clue what you are doing.  Why would he/she be smoking a pipe?  Do you inhale that?  Is this different than cigarettes? Isn't that an old person thing?  Wait....why is SHE smoking a pipe, only men do that... right? Wrong!!!!

Many of the inquisitive masses have questions but it stops there.  They never get a chance to embrace the full culture.  There is just not enough places for people to go!  As some may know, in Missouri you are not allowed to smoke in a bar.   You are excommunicated to the back deck to freeze your butt off in the cold or, if you are in a public place, you are jumped by some liberal wackjob because you are invading their safe place by taking their air and filling it with good aroma (happens quite frequently to me).  You could go to cigar shop or remain at home but the cigar shops are too small and you don't really want people in your house.  So how do you all combat these issues?  How did you make your pipe community?  What are the forward thoughts of bringing this thing, that we love, to the forefront of social acceptance? How can we sway the masses?

I'm just a 29 year old married man that likes smoking some good tobacco in comfort.  But I feel that the comfortable places to go and be social, while smoking, is starting to diminish. 

Comments

• Options
    @deadpool57 St. Louis is home to two pipe clubs- St. Louis Pipe Club and Viking Pipe Club of St. Louis, as well as the very first pipe show of the year, Gateway Area Pipe Show. You should definitely swing by the show on 2/18 and meet fellow pipe enthusiasts plus the TPL crew.
  • Options
    @NicoleSTGLaneLtd totally put that in my phone right before you messaged! Haha The pipe show is relatively close in distance to all things St. Louis.  I will be frequenting these events and posting pictures on Facebook/ Instagram!
  • Options
    Great! Looking forward to meeting you, @Deadpool57. Don't forget to tag those photos #thispipelife.
  • Options
    Can a younger crowd sway the masses? Is that a rhetorical question?

It happens all the time. Just look at how products are marketed - health foods and drinks, clothing, music, etc. The advertisers don't specifically target the older generations unless it is a product that only the older generation buys. 

When it comes to pipe smoking, the answer is also yes. Just look at the slight resurgence of pipe smoking that came about after the Lord of the Rings movies. Churchwarden sales rose because of the millenials wanting to smoke a Gandalf or hobbit pipe. It became cool. If Hollywood would have the gonads to make more movies where the protaganist smoked pipes, that would probably increase sales also. I even believe the movie Mrs. Peregrin's School for Peculiar Children will have an impact on introducing more women to pipe smoking. All-in-all, that would be a good thing.

• Options
    Great article and great comments, funny how you mention not having places to smoke, I just made the same comment in my Curious post, after your post but still a fact that a lot of people look for places to smoke pipes and cigars.  Here in Kentucky it is also hard to find places to go that you can smoke.  I kind of understand it in a way though, not from the special (your in my space) peoples way but from the people that are allergic to smoke side of the rule, I have family that is allergic to smoke and I am actually allergic to cigarette smoke yet I can smoke Cigars and most Pipe tobacco I think it is because of the chemicals in them cigarettes not the tobacco.  
    Anyway great article and as PappyJoe said a lot of it has to do with movies and the younger generation wanting to look cool because of seeing someone else doing it that they think is cool. 
    Funny how that works out.....I kind of hate Hollywood because they are always preaching anti gun and talking about gun violence yet watch most of their movies and what do you see?  I just watched a Steven Seagal (Spelling?) movie and the writers don't even know what guns they are using, the woman said an AR is hooked up to that drone yet it sure looked like a bullpup maybe a styre.....LOL  If they are going to use firearms in movies I sure wish they knew what they really had!!  OK Off the topic, sorry, mind is wondering around again!
  • Options
    @NicoleSTGLaneLtd I absolutely will.
    @PappyJoe it is moderately rhetorical in the sense that younger people have shaped the outlook on a lot of different lifestyles, in which case, it would be completely stupid, on my part, to ask such a question or even put it in the title of a discussion topic on this website. (I will have to make better titles, stop rambling as much, and I now see the error of my ways!)  

For me, smoking pipe tobacco is a lifestyle and not just a fad.  It's not just a trend that rises and falls out of my life and I know there are a lot of diehard lovers of this lifestyle that would agree.

I'm, merely, requesting for us to think about how to open up even more channels and expand our horizons when it comes to expanding a fan base (also for the FDA to cool their jets).  
    I remember long smoke competitions when I was in Tennessee and the plethora of age ranges partaking in the event and how amazingly fun it was!  I like what you're saying; Lord of the RIngs and the correlation of pipe sales due to Gandalf because it makes perfect sense (Gandalf is a BAMF!).  (More exposure = more knowledge in such topic that was exposed)  I also 1000% agree with you that Mrs. Peregrin's School for Peculiar Children will impact this as well.

I was also wondering how some of the presidents of current pipe clubs have widened their base of members, what other events are being created (like pipe shows, long smoke competitions, etc)?  But since I wasn't good enough with my wordage and hadn't had enough coffee when I originally wrote the post; I wasn't able to articulate the points I wanted to present. (It was my first discussion topic and I was nervous!)

I will say that podcasts seem to bring in a lot of members while putting out a lot of information quickly.  Websites house these pieces of information for others to inquire about and see examples of.  Word of mouth can be lost in translation and no one makes fliers anymore.  Also, I think it makes the listener feel apart of something.  I am not a member of a pipe club but I am curious what pipe clubs do to try and get members.  There is also not a lot of marketing to bring you into the club or expand the members. (besides @NicoleSTGLaneLtd , thispipelife.com, and the Country Squire down in Mississippi) 
    It is definitely a "seek and find method" of retrieving information and not information that is freely given on other media outlets like radio, tv, etc.
    I guess another rhetorical question to ask would be are pipe smokers secretive or are we just being shunned out of society?   

Even though I just said I needed to stop rambling as much, I just did and I apologized.
  • Options
    I make it a point to smoke my pipe when my family and I are out and about if for no other reason than to show that we pipe smokers still exist and our smoke smells wonderful!  Granted my out and about blend is aromatic because I can't really sit and enjoy a good english blend in a crowded area.  One thing I have noticed though is that smoking tobacco is much more "accepted" in new england  than it was when I lived in colorado.  It is mostly cigarettes like it is most places but I do see a lot of cigar smokers as well.  I am generally the one guy with a pipe and I do hear comments such as "you don't see that much anymore" but I have yet to hear a complaint since I moved here.  In colorado if you were smoking tobacco of any type people were angry and very vocal about it (of course all the 20 somethings smoking pot in the park were left alone which aggrivated me to no end).  @PappyJoe I saw you post once that you lived in the south, is it more socially acceptable there as well?  It seems the older parts of the country where traditions hold from generation to generation are more tolerant of us pipers.  One funny story was last 4th of July my family and I were up on the North Shore area of Boston for fireworks and I asked a policeman if I could smoke in the area I was standing, his response was "as long as it's tobacco go ahead and light it up, if it is something else I wouldn't recommend it!"
  • Options
    So it's not just a St. Louis thing @Wolf41035 .  I will say that I always get compliments when I'm in the backwoods of Missouri or even down south.  
  • Options

I live in the Midwest (Gary, Indiana) and after the closing of the Tinder Box at our local mall several years ago I have yet to happen upon another pipe smoker in my daily travel. I believe the only other time I found two or more pipe smokers gathered together in a single area was when visiting a Bluegrass Festival in the town of Earl Park, Indiana. The festival is a three day event held during the Labor day Week-end. And scattered among the musicians one could find a few cob smokers sitting around a campfire pickin' & grinnin'. But I wouldn't call them youngsters by any stretch of the imagination. My wife and I attend as many local Indiana Festivals and County Fairs as possible (weather permitting) throughout the year - and if there is anyone smoking a pipe at these events ... it's me. And like many above have mentioned, I'll experience everything from the stony-faced glare of the activist non-smoker to the occasional compliment from the curious as to what blend I'm smoking; sharing tales of a long departed family member who smoked a pipe. Making me feel like something of a museum antiquity. I'm still waiting with anticipation for that moment when I unexpectedly walk upon a fellow pipe smoker and we can exchange pleasantries and talk tobacco. I thought that possibility might come to fruition when a Cigar Bar recently opened in the area, complete with a large smoking lounge. But not a pipe smoker among them. 

• Options
    I started young(15) but by the time I hit 18 pipe smoking had arrived in college thanks mainly to Hugh Hefner. Today a number of young men seem to be attracted to the pipe for 2 reasons. Cigarettes are Draconian in price and the impact on health is much lower. Humans tend to be group oriented and if enough young men and women find the pipe we'll grow. So far that seems to be happening.
  • Options
    @deadpool57 - Sorry if I offended with my earlier question. And, there is nothing wrong with asking rhetorical questions.

Advertising companies and executives have long known the way to introduce a new product or to grow their market shares was to aim the advertising at the new customers they were seeking. The cigarette industry did this for many years and it has led to a lot of the bans on advertising which now exists - not only for the tobacco industry but for alcoholic beverages and others. 

We go to a local Renaissance Festival and there is always a booth selling metal Steampunk pipes (which the say are for tobacco, wink wink). And I have seen people walking around actually smoking tobacco in them. I have also seen a few pirates, elves, trolls, dwarfs and wizards with pipes. So I would say that popular culture has introduce some of the younger generations to pipes. Hopefully some of it will rub off  on them.
  • Options
    I started in college because I thought that's what "college men" did. Young people do start trends; happens all the time.
    I hesitate to mention this, but, as a Sanders supporter and somebody who is pretty far left,politically, it would be nice if we could refrain from insulting people and making generalizations about their politics ("liberal whackjob") based on isolated incidents. Anybody who thinks that the anti-tobacco movement has anything to do with political affiliation isn't paying attention. The 2009 federal tobacco restriction bill passed Congress with overwhelming bipartisan support. It passed the House 298-112, passed the Senate (with amendment) 79-17, and the amended version passed the House 307-97. That shows support on both sides of the aisle.

• Options
    @judandhispipe - I won't insult your politics if you don't insult mine.  

The anti-tobacco movement dates back to the late 1960s and has always been bi-partisan. It was also brought on by the wrongs that big tobacco committed. That was neither a democrat or republican issue but a health issue for everyone. I do think some of the steps the anti-smoking fanatics and government are talking now goes too far to one side and eventually there will be a correction made. 

As an old philosopher once said, "A pendulum can only swing so far in one direction before it starts swinging back to the other side."
  • Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    As an old philosopher once said, "A pendulum can only swing so far in
    one direction before it starts swinging back to the other side."

I just can't see public smoking ever making a come back. I'd be more concerned with you employer and their health care provider going no smoking than I would be about the government. You'd be surprised how many liberals are big time collectors in the real world hobby.
  • Options
    @PappyJoe you didn't :) 

On my response, I was trying to write what I was looking for a little clearer. I re-read my discussion topic and thought it was all over the place so I wrote an even longer response.  haha

@judandhispipe all refrain from the "political whackjobs" for future reference and I apologize if I offended you.  But don't you find it odd that we are now in the "battle of the smoke"?  There are those out there that are trying to rid all tobacco but are also trying to re-introduce marijuana medically and for recreational use.  Wouldn't this current era of "pre-prohibition tobacco haters" be more successful if they agreed that any smoke in the lungs is very bad?  And if so why would those that smoke cigars, pipe tobacco, or chewing tobacco be lumped in with that.  Just because it comes from the same leaf?

(I'm not saying that some cigar companies spray high levels of chemical on their product, because I don't know.  But I do know that cigarette companies have done such things.) 

• Options

Each new generation has a tendency to pull away from styles and traditions of the generation before them almost as a right of passage, and a proclamation that 'their' time has come. So what may have been cool for their parents' generation is now by default uncool for theirs. And to many from both Generation X and the New Millennials, Pipe smoking represents a 50s' & 60s' bygone era associated with "Father Knows Best",  "Leave It To Beaver", and Hugh Hefner & "Playboy After Dark". 

Movies like "The Lord Of The Rings" may have sparked a bit of interest in churchwarden pipes smoked by wizards, warriors, and little people - but no one in the audience was influenced enough to become a Hobbit and adapt their lifestyle. So for members of this generation wanting to join the smoking community - while still independently disassociating themselves from the trends of the past - did so by putting their own spin on the smoking experience with Vapor E-Cigarettes and a variety of new Vaping Delivery Systems. These are the new pipe smokers of the 21st. Century.

But who knows what's the next trend in these crazy days before the zombie apocalypse. Possibly some paparazzi will snap a few shots of a mega-trend setting celebrity smoking a pipe in public, which in tern sparks a true resurgence in pipe smoking as devoted followers flock to the nearest tobacco shop to purchase the latest Lady Gaga pipe creation.              

• Options
    Well, the influx of weed usage will possibly increase the use of pipes. My buddy and I bought a 1 quart hookah with 2 tubes that we'd smoke driving around. That seemed to increase the notice of local law enforcement.
  • Options

I'd like to think that we can all speak our minds here even politically, without making someone feel that they don't want to continue to participate.

I can remember back when I was a kid, the folks with money voted Republican, and the working class always voted Democrat. Nowdays, things are really twisted, and it's hard to vote a straight ticket. You just have to vote your conscience. Besides, I have always felt that everyone should vote based on how the issues affect them personally.

As for the younger crowd, I think that the type person who takes up pipe smoking, and continues to enjoy a pipe for years, are the type folks who have an anachronistic nature. The type person, who would rather do some things the old fashioned way, just for the sake of the experience. The type that will cook fresh venison in a Dutch oven over an open fire, that they took with a muzzleloader or bow.

I remember a couple years ago, I struck up a conversation with a female, who explained to me that she would really like to quit smoking cigarettes. I replied that she should try smoking cigars, because she could enjoy one from time to time, without having to have one every 30 to 45 minutes. She replied that she wasn't sure how she would look smoking cigars. I was a gentleman, and didn't reply that she would look a heck of a lot better than she does smoking cigarettes.

That's just it, the type person who cares what other people think, will never make a pipe smoker. It's one of those things in life, where if I have to explain, you wouldn't understand, because the true pipe smoker cannot be recruited.

• Options
    The proliferation of the internet and niche cultures has certainly helped the pipe smoking community. I do think it will continue to grow thanks in large part by younger smokers.
    It can have its challenges though. I, also, am a 29 y/o smoker and haven't exactly had an easy time finding places friendly to smokers. When I do smoke my pipe in public, every now and then I get confused looks or a comment about my age and its suitability to pipe smoking (it invariably includes the phrase "old man"). When I actually get genuine questions or interest in my hobby I really enjoy explaining why I like it, how I started, differences in pipe and cigarette tobacco, etc.
    But, I have faith that our once prominent pastime will gain prominence again, even if not to what it once was.
  • Options
    Oi! I can certainly relate to having to travel far and wide to find a place where you can smoke in peace. Hailing from the City of Angeles, I was in a restaurant in (97 or 98?) on new year's eve when at midnight the manager went around to all the tables in the smoking section and took our ashtrays & told us that we had to extinguish our smokes. After that it was the bars & the clubs & more recently (2010+) several municipalities in my area have passed out and out bans on the smoking of any tobacco product in public. It is illegal to smoke in any public place within the city limits of Santa Monica, Burbank & Glendale, CA. Smokers will be cited for lighting up their pipes ($250 fine) if they are at the beach, walking down the sidewalk or sitting on a park bench.

However - All hope is not lost! Where ever there is a law, there is a loophole. Several restaurants have applied for and been granted licenses as hookah bars. They are therefore permitted to serve food & allow smoking in the same establishment! Before anyone asks, yes they do allow pipe & cigar smoking.

So if it can work here in the most overbearing nanny state in the union, then by golly it is bound to work somewhere more civilized. My suggestion is to look for hookah lounges (sometimes called hookah bars). If you cannot find one, look for Mediterranean restaurant and ask the owner / manager if they would be willing to apply for a permit (or whatever is necessary in your jurisdiction) to provide hookah to their patrons.

Then - perhaps the most crucial element. Go there & smoke. Be seen, in public smoking your pipe! This is perhaps the most often overlooked element. That, and be nice to people. Even if they give you crap about smoking. If people see that pipe smokers are not (all) monsters, jerks or freaks they will have a positive association with it. Odds are, you are the only pipe smoker that they have ever met. (several people have told me this) If you are friendly, then they are more likely to talk to you. This in turn may plant the tiny seed that: maybe they too should get a super cool pipe to puff on. You guys only smoke your super cool pipes in public, right?

So that's my two (or perhaps three) cents on it.

Travis 
  • Options
    There is an interesting 2011 video on the future of pipe smoking, by EA Carey Europe.

• Options
    I started smoking a pipe when I was 21 and was the youngest guy at the Tinder Box, I would get funny looks and comments from people because I was smoking a pipe at such a young age, I'm 55 now and still get a few funny looks, I'm the oldest guy in our pipe club so it makes me feel better that younger guys are getting into the hobby.
  • Options
    @motie2 Excellent video, thanks for sharing
  • Options
    There's a difference between discussing issues and calling names. It's OK to disagree on issues - but it doesn't mean the person on the other side is the enemy.
    As I have said many times, including in this forum, the intransigence of Big Tobacco is a huge factor in the anti-smoking thing. If they had followed the line taken by the liquor companies - it's an adult product, there are risks, use carefully - I think there would be a different atmosphere.
    The whole thing about marijuana is a long time coming.  The "War on Drugs" was never about health risks.
  • Options
    @judandhispipe - the problem with politics is that a few will seize upon it as an opportunity to get a violent when they don't get their way. Reality is that the majority of both parties don't support the violence. 

As for name calling, we all have our weak moments these days. It also doesn't help when those who are supposed to be our political leaders resorts to name calling and hyperbole in their attacks on the opposing party. It gives the followers the perception that it is alright for them to do the same. It is compounded by media and celebrities calling for violence, destruction and assassination. 

Not to offend anyone, but everyone - myself included - needs to start living by The Golden Rule - Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

As for the War on Drugs, as someone who served for 21 years in an organization tasked with stopping the flow of drugs into this country, allow me to disagree with you. The war on drugs does indeed have a connection to health risks. Anyone who has ever seen or been affected by the actions of a drug user would agree that the drug problem does pose a health risk to this country. The problem is, in my opinion, that the drug war has always been focused more on stopping the supply side than on decreasing the demand side. If smuggling drugs weren't so profitable, it wouldn't be done.  Again, that's just my opinion.

• Options
    @xDutchx I think that's what gets lost in these elections.  I don't think, during this past election, people were voting what was best for them.  I believe it was more of the "lesser of two evils.
    @bluespiper I also have hope it will get better! Prohibition took out alcohol.  But clearly that didn't work so maybe there is a chance!
    @mightytravis I appreciate the 2 1/2- 3 cents!
    @motie2 Lovely video! The Brits seem like they are moving in a positive direction.  
    @pipeman83 I always felt the looks were inquisitive and or confused.  I think there is always more questions to what we are doing than what it feels like and does for us.
    @judandhispipe it always seems like it's a money battle doesn't it? The government always wants their cut on everything out there, no matter who suffers for it.  That's why I don't understand why the government would support a tobacco free nation.  The money that it produces far outweighs the vices that it brings across and why regulate all tobacco when cigarette companies were the main companies that provided chemically charge tobacco?    

• Options
    Nixon staffers have admitted that the War on Drugs, in its current format, was started to go after groups they thought were undesirable. Harry Anslinger used drug laws to go after jazz musicians, who he felt were undesirables.
    There are,without a doubt, health risks associated with heroin, cocaine,and some of these other drugs, and there can be major problems with abuse. The same thing can be said of alcohol,which is legal, although purchase is restricted by age, and socially acceptable. If we legalized these drugs, regulated sales at least as tightly as we do alcohol, we could treat abuse as a pubic health issue, just as we do alcohol. 
  • Options
    If you don't think that the war on drugs has cultural aspects, read about Billie Holiday. She had serious problems with both alcohol abuse and abuse of some illegal drugs. She was hospitalized for liver and heart disease. As she lay in her hospital bed, Narcotics agents arrested her and handcuffed her to her hospital bed. 
  • Options
    People like the pipe. It smells good. It has class. All smart people smoke pipes; Sherlock Holmes, Einstein, cartoon foxes that solve mysteries as well as a briar smoking rabbit that secretly controls the world.

These are all thing that the young will believe in, as so far as pipe smokers carry on the "proper" traditions of pipe smoking.