Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Luca Vanetti Gurgle...

Greetings fellow TPLers, I am a relatively new pipe smoker so my apologies if this seems to be a rather dense question to ask...

I have a Luca Vanetti Meusili Tapered Bit bent pipe that I seem to be experiencing quite a bit of gurgle with.  It typically happens with some of my English blends, particularly the Frog Morton ones.  Is this normal for that kind of tobacco in a bent pipe?   Any ways to avoid this? 

Regards, Matthew

Comments

• Options
    @serentil, it could be several things causing the gurgle from the moisture in the tobacco to the moisture in your mouth. I've smoked a good bit of Frog Morton blends in both bent and straight pipes and mostly have  only had a gurgle problem with a churchwarden or when I've had a drink while smoking.
    It may also be a temporary thing that as you smoke more, you will notice it less. Also do you clench the pipe between your teeth when smoking or do you sip on it? Sometimes when clenching, saliva runs down the stem and causes the gurgle.

My first question is if you can run a pipe cleaner through the stem to the bowl with ease? If so, just keep a pipe cleaner handy and when it starts to gurgle, use the pipe cleaner. Then try sipping instead of clenching.

Hopefully this helps.
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    I have heard (not tried yet) about putting a couple of Nording Keystones in the bottom of the bowl to help with moisture but this would be if the tobacco was moist. It wouldn't help if your clenching like PappyJoe stated, the only thing to help with that would be run a pipe cleaner down the stem and sipping on the pipe instead of clenching. Of course letting the tobacco sit spread out on a piece of paper for about 30 min. to dry could help with moisture too.
  • Options

Ok, terrific, thank you both for the responses.  I suspect it has more to do with my smoking style.  I will try both of your suggestions.  - Regards, Matthew