Home General
Options

I blog anew...

It's been a while and it may ramble a bit (I blame it on the Jameson's Caskmates Stout).

Comments

• Options
    Great piece, Pappy Joe. We youngsters will never have that experience, for better or worse. I like to think that a wider variety and ease of purchase is a good thing. However, this did make me think of a TED talk I heard about the abundance of choice for the 21st Century consumer. The presenter made the case that having choices is good but having too many can be stifling and decrease the enjoyment of whatever it is your buying. So I suppose there is something to be said for the simpler time of having a handful of pipes and a true everyday blend. Thanks for posting it!
  • Options
    Keep the posts coming, @pappyjoe. Great insight!
  • Options
    Thanks for the insight. A very interesting read. I personally have always aired on having less variety of tobacco compared to most pipe smokers I know. Although that's mostly because I don't budget for it. Whenever I have extra money I tend to splurge on extra blends and pipes. I actually did that today. Haha! Can't help the convenience.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Wonderful, just wonderful Mr. Pappy. 

Your point is well made and it makes one think that is the way it should be. Then you would have to decide which four pipes? Which blend? Oh no! Why deprive ourselves? But you're right, maybe you would be happier without the anxiety of finding something else. 

I wonder what Mr. Grandpappy would think now if he had his choice? Would he want to experience what we are lucky to be a part of or would he be content the way it was? I'd like to think I'd be content, but I know I'm not and can't help myself. 

Although he might have culture shock if he found out people parked themselves in front of the idiot box with 500 TV stations to choose from and still couldn't find anything to watch  or that there are more than two genders now, and nobody even knows how many there are. I suppose he would pull out one of those pipes, stuff his tobacco in it and shake his head.

You are a marvelous writer.

• Options
    @philip - he would be confused by all the choices for listening to the radio. AM, FM, Sirius and all those other ways to listen to music. 
  • Options

I enjoyed your blog PappyJoe! I've heard it said before, that comparing pipe smokers back in the day, to today's pipe smokers, is proof positive that we are living in the golden age of pipe smoking.

• Options
    A great post @PappyJoe. I try to find the blends I like and stock up on a select few rather than have small amounts of 50 different ones.  The truth is if I was left with just Prince Albert and Nightcap I would be a happy smoker for the rest of my life-the other blends are "special occasion" type blends (though star of the east from C&D may be a new favorite, might just need to bump that up to three blends and I would be happy!) 
  • Options
    @PappyJoe a great piece and well written. It's been said before but I will say it again, the "old days" where a much simpler time!!
  • Options
    Nice article Pappy and quite true, I was luckier than most living near and working in NYC in my early 30's. I went through a lot of Drug Store Blends and finally hit on one specific blend from a well known Tobacco Blender that  swing by and pickup another 8 oz. can for the trip home. However, I only had 3 pipes and saw no need of more at that time.