Home General

Staving Off Tobacco Breath - Altoids

Regardless of the tobacco leaf you choose be it Virginia, Burley, Latakia, Cigar Leaf, Perique, Orientals or Turkish - or your preference of blends: bold smoky English, heavily cased flavorful aromatics, or a premium topless non-aromatic ... there is one inescapable conclusion to that satisfying bowl ... smokers breath.

There I said it! I'm not proud. But I feel strangely liberated, like a repentant alcoholic stepping up to the podium confronting his demon head-on. "Hello, my name is Joe ... and my breath smells like an unwashed motel ashtray after smoking."

There is no getting around it, so before coming in contact with a fellow human being I immediately pop an Altoids breath mint into my mouth. I keep a small supply handy, rattling loosely in my pants pocket. Preferably my watch pocket. And pocket lint be damned! I'd rather suck on a fuzzy breath mint then find myself in the uncomfortable position of an impromptu face-to-face conversation. Even when I'm outside in my own backyard I'll pop-in an Altoids after smoking, knowing full well that I'm headed directly to the bathroom to brush my teeth. Don't want to bump into my wife somewhere in between with a mouthful of post-smoking funk. I've made it a point to keep my pipe smoking hobby as unobtrusive and positive an experience to those non-smokers around me - which is why I only smoke aromatic blends with a pleasant room note. And keeping a fresh breath afterward is more important then leaving behind a room note that tricks people into believing you've just baked a cake.  

Oh, and a word of warning - keep away from the Cinnamon Altoids after a good long smoke. If the pipe smoking didn't give you tongue bite - the Cinnamon Altoids will.

No better way for a Newcomer to ingratiate one's self into the Pipe Smoking Community then by insulting the entire membership by telling them their breath stinks. Please take this with the humor intended.     

Comments