Home Ask an Expert
Options

Dry as dust

I've got a tin of Dunhill 965 which I've stored for years. I opened it the other day, and it's as dry as dust. Looking for a way to make it useable!

Comments

• Options
    Dampen a piece of paper towel small enough to fit the can, put it in the can and replace the cover. Check it in 24 hours. repeat if still too dry. Don't soak the towel, make it uniformly damp.
  • Options

For Dunhill style tins, and others without a resealable lid, I usually always move the tobacco to a Tupperware style container, if I am planning to smoke the tobacco during the next few weeks/months. Once I have the tobacco in the plastic container, if it needs to be rehydrated, I spray the inside of the lid with distilled water, and shake off any excess before replacing the lid. Distilled water is preferable to tap water, because it won't encourage mold growth on your tobacco.

I usually go back and check the underside of the lid every 24hrs, to see if I need to spray the underside again. As the tobacco absorbs moisture, the process of the water leaving the underside of the lid will take longer, which will help you determine when you have your tobacco moisture level where you prefer. With a little experimentation, you can gently pinch the tobacco, to gauge your moisture level as well.

Keep in mind that the plastic containers are ideal for short term storage, but they do ghost to some degree, depending on the type tobacco you store in them. Leaving them empty with the lid off for a period of time, can get them back to neutral eventually, if you plan to use them for a different blend.

• Options
    I use ziplock bags, but I also have to put a couple drops of water in there just to make sure I don't dry it out!
  • Options
    xDutchx, Thanks, Old Dog learns new trick.
  • Options
    @Woodsman, an old curmudgeon taught me that trick, and it was one of the few things that could make him smile. LoL
  • Options
    Thanks all!! I'm trying Woodsman tip in a mason jar. Seems to be working!
  • Options
    Worked like a charm! A very enjoyable smoke!!
  • Options
    Throw it out and buy a new tin. If it is that dry, many of the aromatic oils in the tobacco are gone.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Use it to dry parts in.