Home General
Options

Pipemakers - Is There Any Type Of Wood You Can't Use For A Pipe?

Other than an obvious wood like Balsa which would probably burn on contact, is there any particular type of wood that absolutely can't be used when making a pipe? I ask this because certain types of wood like cedar and pine have a naturally great smell to them which I thought might be transferred through the pipe. I own a several pear wood pipes and have heard it said there is a natural sweetness to them when first smoked. Unfortunately I'm unable to test that theory because I smoke sweet aromatics which would mask the flavor of any additional sweetness in the wood. Certain wood like pine smells great in an outdoor campfire - but the sticky tar resin in a freshly cut tree can gunk up a chimney if you try burning it in a fireplace. Take it from me - I tried burning my Christmas tree in a fireplace one year and almost caught the house on fire. Yet there is something so refreshing about the scent of pine wood - and as far as I know there are no aromatic pine or cedar flavored pipe tobaccos manufactured - so I was wondering if a pipe made of pine might add that quality to a smoke, or if the tar resin in the wood would make it a poor choice for pipe making..   

Comments