Home Ask an Expert
Options

Recommendations on a small pipe

I know opinions are varied, but if someone out there has been smoking small/short/lightweight pipes for a long time, I'd like a recommendation on one.  Reason being I have only one pipe in my collection, and it is a churchwarden.  I really like the thing, but wonder how various tobaccos will smoke in a short pipe.  I'd appreciate the collective wisdom of the group.

Comments

• Options

I'm a big fan of nosewarmer pipes. I especially like the ones with chubby exaggerated proportions. Some folks will say they prefer a longer pipe while they are busy/working, because it keeps the smoke out of their eyes. I can certainly appreciate that, and I think that is a valid argument for some smokers.

However, some folks will say they dislike nosewarmers, because they feel the smoke stream doesn't have adequate time to cool before it enters their mouth. This is one aspect I disagree with. With 5 to 6 inches as the average pipe length. a pipe that qualifies as a nosewarmer, (Less than 4.75") will still provide the same quality smoke. The added length of a 5 to 6 inch pipe, doesn't have time to substantially cool the smoke more effectively IMO.

Another aspect of nosewarmers that I enjoy, is they are a joy to clench, and they are so handy to move around with. A 65 gram nosewarmer when clenched, can feel equivalent to a much lighter 6 inch pipe.

As for specific carvers, nosewarmers are simply where you find them. Nowday's, production pipes as well as one off custom carves are available in the nosewarmer category. I do know the Italians like to dabble in this style. A good place to start browsing for nosewarmers would be neatpipes.com. Luca has many additional pipes that are not currently listed on his website, as he usually only lists 25% of his current inventory. You can look for the option "Looking for something special," and let him know the parameters of what you are looking for.

I remember a couple years ago, I spied a Pease/diPiazza Junebug nosewarmer on his site. Before I could seize it, it was marked reserved. I contacted Luca, and let him know if the person who reserved the pipe changed their mind, I would like to purchase it. Luca magically produced another just like it, that wasn't currently listed. He has always been a pleasure to do business with, and I would highly recommend him.

• Options
    Thanks so much, xDutchx.  I will definitely hit Luca's site.
  • Options
    I'm a huge fan of corncob pipes and you can't get any lighter than those. Even the larger ones like the Country Gentleman are light for their size. They (Missouri Meerschaum) have several pipes in the small/medium range including a couple of nosewarmers.
  • Options
    What do you mean by "small" - short, or light?
  • Options
    I have to agree with @bluespiper If your wanting a short pipe, start with a cob, they make plenty of varying sizes and are making some wonderful nosewarmers.  I have several pipes that fall into the short category, nosewarmer, and I love the way they clench.  However, if you have facial hair I have found you need to be very careful lighting them in any variation of wind as the flame is really close to your face.  I have only had one nosewarmer I put down for that reason and will not go back too, but it was a 3 inch long pipe.  Otherwise a cheap, IMHO, small pipe try to find Mitchell Thomas.  P&C sells out quickly when they are in stock and I have one I love.  Smoke wise just don't huff and they smoke like a normal pipe.
  • Options
    @judandhispipe Yes short, light, smokes a long time....you know, everything a man wants in a pipe shorter than a churchwarden, etc.....The shapes and varieties out there are endless, and I like aromatics, but will switch to non-aromatics if that is what the pipe requires. I don't like steaming my mouth/tongue that much... Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    The regular size cobs have a 1/2" bowl with a depth of 1 1/8" with no filter. Great short smokes.
  • Options
    A churchwarden has a very long stem. Anything is shorter than a churchwarden.  A nosewarmer has a very short stem. It sounds to me like you want a light pipe with a large bowl.
    Bowl size and shape has more to do with how tobacco smokes than stem length.