Home Ask an Expert
Options

How long do you smoke a flake?

Recently, I smoked a flake using the fold and stuff method for the first time. It was very pleasant and easier than I thought it would be. What surprised me, though, was how long it took to smoke. A single flake of Mac Baren Navy Flake took 2 hours in a straight Dublin briar. So my question is this: is this normal for a single flake or am I smoking super slowly?

Comments

• Options

Wes, it probably indicates that not only are you smoking properly, by barely keeping the pipe lit, I'm guessing you are smoking a relatively small bowl pipe. Small pipes just seem to conserve tobacco, and in most cases are perfect flake pipes.

Flakes have positives and negatives, but once you work your way around the negatives, they are hard to beat for several reasons. Mac Baren Navy Flake is a great one for anyone new to flakes, because it isn't pressed as tightly as Sam Gawith flakes, and doesn't hold as much moisture. It is also easier to keep lit, and doesn't deliver hard tongue bite as some other flakes do.

• Options
    I would say the pipe is a medium size. Fits one flake with ample room to spare, but it is tall so I'm sure that helps.
    I do love the cut of the MB flakes. I bought a couple of Gawith and Hogarth flakes and they are kind of a pain. Lots of drying time needed even when rubbed out.