Home Ask an Expert
Options

New, old stock concerns

What should I be concerned about, if anything, about a new (never smoked) pipe made before 1969? It is a quality pipe from a quality maker.

Comments

• Options
    I would still clean it good. But share more details about the pipe. Who made it?
  • Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
     As long as the stem is not oxidized I would light it up, take it easy breaking it in on the first few bowls and enjoy! I broke in two smaller group 4ish Patent Dunhill billiards with no issues at all. Just take it easy and don't let the pipe get to hot. 
  • Options

It's a Castello Collection pre-1969. I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet, mainly because I just bought a Castello from Marty Pulvers (Great pipe!).  I'm just concerned buying something that old because you really have no idea how it was kept. It looks good in pictures, but reality could be much different. Still considering it.

• Options
    luckyguyluckyguy Newcomer
    The only issue for me would be the size of the draft hole in both shank and stem.  In recent years it has been acknowledged that more open pipes smoke better, and Castello has followed suit.  Contact a good repairman such as Mike Myer of Walker Pipe Repair to widen the holes for a much better smoke.  Your briar has been seasoned very well and should be a champion smoker.
  • Options
    Load it and smoke it, then let us know how it was!
  • Options
    I'd only be concerned if you don't know anything about the seller. If you have dealt with him before, or it's someone with a good rep,go for it.
  • Options
    Once upon a time the thought of sticking a stranger's old pipe in my mouth was as disgusting to me as chewing a wadded up piece of gum stuck to the bottom of a table in a restaurant. When I'd see a dusty old pipe in an antique shop or second hand store I tell my wife ..."Who in their right mind would stick that in their mouth after someone has been slobbering in it." But times sure have changed thanks to those magic words ... "Estate Pipe". A fancy new name for a crusty old pipe that may have once dangled from the scabrous lips of a sailor with Leprosy. But now that once discarded old piece of junk has been upgraded to collectible status and branded with a flashy new moniker ... 'Estate Pipe'. Even sounds more expensive. So now when I discover a ratty old pipe in a thrift shop that may have once dangled from the scabrous lips of a sailor with Leprosy I buy it, take it home, give it a thorough cleaning and half-assed amateur restoration, then stick that once nasty old pipe in my mouth and smoke it.   
  • Options
    Welcome to the club, I don't tell people the story behind my pipes anymore if they're not pipe smokers.
  • Options
    The Butz Chouquin Gauloise I showed earlier was never smoked but it was apparently in the sun as the stem was seriously discolored but, intact otherwise.(See Photo)Butz-Choquin Gaulois 60 Verisngetorix
  • Options
    As strange as this may sound the discoloration of the stem actually accents the current color of the pipe. It looks truly beautiful as is. 
  • Options
    I've since cleaned it up. I think it looks better.