Home General
Options

Does weather effect how tobacco burns

So i got to thinking about something today, i haven't smoked as much now as i did during the summer but i realized i haven't had any tongue bite since winter started. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this experience. My thought process is maybe because the during the winter the air is dryer the tobacco burns cooler whereas during the summer its humid and the tobacco is wetter thus causing it to burn hotter.

Comments

• Options
    SLCarricoSLCarrico Apprentice
    @JaGri1 I haven't had that same experience, but I have some sherlockian questions: Has your choice of tobacco changed with the cooler weather? It may be that you are smoking tobys with less of a bite. Also, do you notice that maybe you have slowed down in your smoking because of the weather? Again, that makes for less bite.
  • Options
    JaGri1JaGri1 Newcomer
    What i smoke hasn't changed but as far as smoking slower i do have a tendency to get more distracted in winter i think. During the summertime when i go to smoke its usually with the intention of putting away the world for bit to just enjoy the smoke.  Wintertime smokes are more of juggling act of doing things i need to get done plus enjoying the pipe.
  • Options
    I would hazard a guess that it would have to do with the humidity differences between the seasons. Even if your tobacco is dried to a perfect level for you, you are pulling in the air and the moisture in the air through your tobacco. In South Louisiana I think I get less tongue bite in the winter because we typically have lower humidity in the winter - down around 65% instead of 98%.

That's just a theory of mine.
  • Options
    I'm completely with @PappyJoe on this one.  I live in Missouri where the humidity can get a little ridiculous.  I find that I can smoke for longer periods of time during the summer than the winter due to the humidity.  To combat these issues I normally have to dry out my tobacco before my smokes.
  • Options
    SLCarricoSLCarrico Apprentice
    It makes good sense. I live in Colorado were the humidity is very consistent year round - arid, so I haven't encountered this issue yet.
  • Options

The answer is definitely yes, but to what degree I am uncertain when it comes to providing relief from tongue bite. The reason being, is that burning tobacco creates moisture in the smoke stream, regardless of the relative humidity. This is the reason, you will experience tobacco that is harder to keep lit, in the last 1/3rd to 1/4 of the bowl. Since burning tobacco is constantly upping the humidity level of the tobacco in the chamber below it, I'm not sure how much a lower humidity environment can improve the smoking experience. A lower relative humidity will make it much easier and quicker to dry/prep your tobacco prior to smoking, and that can certainly lessen tongue bite, but it can also diminish flavor if taken to extremes.

• Options
    I find this to be the case. Alabama Summer humidity can be the source of many relights for me. I would try experimenting when the humidity rises again and see what you can come up with. I would bet the dryer the better in high humidity.
  • Options
    JaGri1JaGri1 Newcomer
    I have noticed keeping pipes lit right now is easier than summer, the weather up here is crazy we can go from 90 degree days during summer to 20 below zero during winter.

• Options
    I can attest to this living in Houston where the humidity is 100% nearly year round. I can pack a pipe one way inside light it smoke it perfectly fine, I can pack the same way step outside and I get to spend a lot of matches.