Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Breaking in a new pipe.

Recently, there was a post by someone who stated that they used either "Carter Hall" or "Sir Walter Raleigh" to break in new pipes...

Have been unable to locate this post again and I don't think I dreamed it! Could someone direct me to the correct spot, please?

Thanks for the help!

Tuxedo007

Comments

• Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    I would break in a pipe by smoking what you like to smoke. Personally I would avoid the chemically soaked aro's like Carter Hall or SWR unless you like them of course. I've tried all the methods from the thirds to coating the bowl with honey to Vesz's filling the bowl with water first.  I can confidently say that I've found in both coated and natural bowl that just smoking the pipe easy with what you enjoy is the best. I smoke PSBS which is about as natural as pipe tobacco gets develops a very hard cake quickly.   
  • Options

I thank you for your input. Will definitely follow your advice.  Since the locale where I live is not blessed with many(any real ones) pipe and tobacco outlets, I will do my very best to find the tobacco you reference somewhere online!  While I have burned up a LOT of tobacco in pipe bowls, am just now coming to the realization and understanding of how very much I have been missing! 

My thanks to you and the many others here on this forum who have given me great information and help by passing along the information they have given so freely!

Take good care and have a good day and a wonderful New Year!

Tuxedo007

• Options
    I completely agree with @daveinlax. I normally smoke a new pipe at least 10 times before I really know that it's broken in.  The cake layer has to be built up enough.  Just be careful when cleaning not to take that cake layer off. No reaming and don't smoke it fast! I've burnt through my share of pipes before really understanding that (young and dumb). Just run the pipe cleaning stem through when the pipe is cold, clean out the oils/ash, and smoke again.
    Have a smoky day!