Home General
Options

Gifts for young'uns

So, I'm a lieutenant at a state prison here in Ohio and, as far as I can tell, there is only one other pipe smoker at work. Well, two of my newer, younger, officers recently told me that they have picked up the pipe. The older brother of one of them is also a newer smoker. They all went out and bought basket pipes and have been having a lot of trouble with them. I have given them advice on how to pack, tamp, light, clean, and smoke their pipes. They are coming along, but I feared they wouldn't stick it out due to the poor smoking attributes of their pipes. Neither of them is yet in a position to spend much for a decent smoker. Well, I remember how helpful everybody was to me when I took up the pipe, I decided to "pay it forward" and continue the tradition the pipe community is well known for. Yesterday I brought them pipe cleaners and tampers (neither owned a tamper yet) and brought a selection of pipes for them to see. I then had them each choose a pipe as a gift. I am now short one Peterson's Dublin and London bulldog and a Prebn Holm. My hope is that this will keep them at it until they figure it all out. I guess I won't give up on the younger generation just yet. There seems to be some hope for them after all. Keep puffing, my friends!

Comments

• Options
    I love hearing stories like this, and it's one of the reasons I enjoy the pipe community. It's great to see other pipe smokers stepping in and acting as the mentor to beginners to help them on their pipe journey. Whether they keep at it or not, I'm sure you've made a lasting impact on them from your kindness.
  • Options
    @tdschiraldi - I totally agree. There are a bunch of younger guys who have taken an interest in pipe smoking recently, so I have been scouring ebay for decent estate pipes. I've been successful at finding pretty decent pipes at $30-40 that I pick up for them and our local pipe club has been great at letting them taste through tobaccos (aromatics and non-aromatics). That's what I love about our pipe nights, just a general willingness to share product and try different tools and learn from older guys.

• Options
    luckyguyluckyguy Newcomer
    I have helped many new pipers and been generous with tobacco.  Now that I am 70, I am watchful for pipers who can't afford the quality of pipes in my collection.  However, the top of the line of my collection will be sold to perhaps buy my new car at the end of its lease.  I live in Arizona which has a couple of good pipe shops in the Phoenix area.  Only true grouches are not willing to help keep the hobby alive and pass on the joy we have known.
  • Options
    i think the best gesture i ever received was a hand-carved pipe from my neighbor. i'll never forget when he gave it to me because that pipe has turned us into two great friends. cheers!
  • Options
    Fantastic! What a great way to help them along and welcome them to the pipe community!
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    I have helped a few friends get into pipes by giving them some better quality estate pipes I got for cheap and cleaned up.  It's always nice to pay it forward.  Also, the pipes I gave them are their favorites.  I usually will help some one start with a good Missouri Meerschaum, pipe cleaners, and a tamper plus some baccy from my collection to try out.  I just ask them that if they don't like it to pass it back so I can pass it on to some one else (I have yet to get anyone to not like smoking a pipe).  I just wish there was more of a pipe community where I am so I can try to help more new smokers and learn from those that have around for a while as I am still relatively new myself.
  • Options
    Awesome @drac2485. It's like you are giving them a starter set!
  • Options
    @pipeprofessor Unfortunately I didn't get a lot of help when I first started and I can't seem to find much of a pipe culture where I am in Fort Worth, Texas beside the wonderful salesman at my B&M so I try to help where I can
  • Options
    @drac, I can totally feel your sentiment on that, I have only seen maybe 2 other people in my area smoking a pipe and neither were too friendly. I would say for us lone wolves, youtube seems to be the best mentor we can find
  • Options
    @drfrankenstein56 I have been using YouTube for years learning about smoking a pipe and trying to learn to try things differently. There are so many great resources for pipe smokers on there. I also hit the forums but had a hard time finding any when I first started smoking a pipe so I learned a lot by guessing and checking, many burnt tongues to prove it, and I gave up several times but am loving it now. I find I like so much more than even my cigars even though some nights when I want some stiff drinks cigars are just easier
  • Options
    @pipeprofesor that's exactly what I'm trying to do, give them a decent starter set with, hopefully, good advice. I've got a friend I'm going to go bug in a few weeks and bring a him a decent pipe once I figure out which one of my collection I want to part with, the hard choice but I bought some estates for that sole purpose and I have a nice meerschaum in mind for him. If I get him hooked then I'll have at least one more pipe smoking friend