Home Pipes & Tools
Options

New pipe/recently reamed pipe treatment

In a recent discussion several briar brethren discussed the "wonders" of pipe mud...the simple mixture of moisture with either cigar or ground pipe ash. The mortar-like substance is then used to coat at minimum the heel of the pipe (the pipes in question were new cobs) and there was one sorta hidden suggest that the entire bowl could be treated with the concoction.

Taking the advice, I used pipe mud on both the new cobs from P&C and so far the results have been amazing. Which brings me to the following discussion topic...

I have two new pipes, pictured below. Since all the pipes I've acquired in my return to pipe-smoking have been from the 'bay (only one bad experience...) a break-in, as such, was not needed; I did, in all cases smoke short bowls....

Question before the house...
  • I am convinced, based on both the testimony of expert witnesses and two empirical trials, that pipe mud works for cobs. There is at least some indication it also works for briar/other wood pipes. 
  • What is the collective wisdom of the Pipe Mud users on the practice on both heel-only and whole-bowl coating of new briar pipes with pipe mud before the first bowl?

Comments

• Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    I wouldn't use pipe mud unless you need to fill in some heat fissures or correcting a drilling issue.
  • Options

@abcbill, pipe mud works great in the bottom/heel of your pipe, but will struggle to stay in the wall of a pipe with a slight burnout. You can google and check out a substance, called "stove putty." This stuff will work great for small burnouts, but can be a problem if used too liberally. It is really bulletproof, so too much of it can cause too much heat reflection, and can ruin the smoking experience. In other words, it can make a pipe smoke hot. If used in applications where a small repair is needed, it can be the ideal solution to making a minor repair on a favorite pipe or current restoration, and saving said pipe from the graveyard.

• Options
    Thanks to all...Heel only it is...may well be doing some remedial work as well...
  • Options
    I've often jump started a carbon build up by swabbing the bowl with a whiskey honey mixture, let it sit for an hour, then pour in a small amount of fine ash. Put your thumb over the bowl and shake it, pour out excess ash and let dry. 2 or 3 times and you've got a good start.
  • Options
    @Woodsman...you bring back memories...back in the day, I used to use straight honey. Darn, if I can remember exactly how it worked. Mixed results, probably...

Interesting variation on the theme..
  • Options

I also use Whisky/honey mixture to sweeten a pipe with a pipe cleaner and Q tip. Not so much in the bowl as the stem and airway when they start tasting off even after a good cleaning. I let them sit for a week to really dry out.