Home General
Options

Celebrate Sherlock Holmes Birthday - January 6th

Load up a bowl of your favorite tobacco. Pour yourself a glass of stout, bitter ale, or a steaming cup of tea. And then settle back in a comfy chair and join me as I celebrate the birthday of history's most famous pipe smoker ... who never lived - Sherlock Holmes.

Each year I mark the occasion with a bowl of my favorite blend in a meerschaum gourd Calabash pipe and a cup of Earl Grey tea, then spend the evening watching a Sherlock Holmes movie marathon or a couple of episodes from one of the many Holmes series which have aired over the years. The Jeremy Brett Granada TV series is always a nice start, as is the classic Rathbone & Bruce stand-bys I grew up with. There are probably over a hundred titles to choose from with dozens of actors donning the deer stalker hat, from  the aforementioned Basil Rathbone and Jeremy Brett to Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, Ronald Howard, Charlton Heston, Roger Moore, Matt Fewer, Christopher Plummer, Arthur Wotner, Nicol Williamson, John Neville, and most recently Robert Downey Jr., Benedict Cumberbatch, and even Ian McKellen who is featured as a retired 90 year old Holmes in the film "Mr. Holmes".     

Though some may dispute the actual date, January 6th, 1854 has long been established by Sherlockian scholars and aficionados, including The Baker Street Irregulars - who meet each year to celebrate the occasion - as Holmes official birthday. And far be it for me to dispute the claim. I'm always game for a celebration not matter what the occasion. And Sherlock Holmes birthday is a day marked on my calendar.

So grab your pipe and join me in celebrating the birthday of a beloved literary pipe smoker who just so happened to solve a few cases between bowls.       

Comments