Home Tobacco Talk
Options

The Saga of my Latest Purchase from P&C

I was going to put this in the "Latest Tobacco Purchase" thread, but realized that it was liable to be lengthy, so I decided to start afresh, in the hopes that some of you might get a chuckle out of it.
Yesterday, aware that a couple of my jars of lat blends (HH Latakia Flake & GLP Quiet Nights) were getting near to empty, I decided I wanted to try a couple of new ones, so I got out my list, and went off to the P&C  website.
I almost got sidetracked by the "Build Your Own Pouch Sampler" special - the OTC Tobacco thread has given me a hankering to revisit a couple of codger burleys, and try a couple I had not - but I realized that it would be cheaper, for those blends, just to buy them without the sampler.
I got a couple of new blends in my cart, but before I could check out, a distraction appeared away from the web. During that time, I looked at the P&C catalog, which had arrived yesterday, and saw the Peter Sokkebye bulk sale - 8 oz for $15.99.
I haven't tried any PS blends - have meant to, but never got around to it. I'm not usually the kind of guy who buys 8 oz of something I haven't tried, either. But they were calling me - I went out to TobaccoReviews.com, read Pipestud's reviews of the two I was thinking about -Proper English and Luxury Twist Flake - and went for it.
(The fact that Steve said that LTF reminded him of Astley's 109 was a big selling point.)
8 ounces of each are now on the way. I've already decided that I am going to set aside for long term aging 4 ozs of LTF. I may age more of it, depending on what I think. (I've already got unopened tins of Rattray 40 Virginia and Dunhill Ye Olde Signe that are waiting for me to finish something off.) At least I did get a new lat blend to try...

Comments

• Options
    I haven't had any Peter Sokkebye pipe tobacco, but his hand rolling tobacco was pretty good (Drum is better).
  • Options
    i like his English oriental supreme. have some of his twist flake jarred and a couple of his aros. good tobaccos at their price point. and better than many at 3 times the price.
  • Options
    SLCarricoSLCarrico Apprentice
    You're a daredevil @judandhispipe! Had my first bowl of Proper English just the other day and really enjoyed it. I'll be getting more. I think you'll appreciate it.
  • Options
    Yeah, I was done buying more tobacco blends when I hit 138 different ones in my cellar, but I'm now at 152. Can you say TAD?

You can't really go wrong with Peter Stokkebye blends. For the price, very hard to beat! Go get some more Mason jars and stockpile the blends. All the Virginia, Oriental, and even Latakia tobaccos just get better with age. For me, Luxury Navy Flake, Bullseye Flake, Proper English, English Oriental Supreme, and English Luxury are regular smokes and are never allowed run low.
  • Options
    We'll see how this goes. I'm not much of a Va/per guy, and definitely not much of an aro guy,so that leaves out a lot. But my mind is open!
  • Options
    LTF is one of my all time favorites. To me, it has one of the most intoxicating tin notes around. You did well on your order @judandhispipe
  • Options

I remember a few years back, P&C made an error on an order. I picked up the phone, and rang their number. As luck would have it, Russ answered the phone, and was super helpful in helping resolve the problem. I had ordered a pound on Rattray's #7 bulk, and instead received a 3.5 ounce tin. He apologized foe the mistake, and told me to hang on to the 3.5 oz tin, while he sent me a 16oz. bulk replacement. At this point, I was very pleased, but as it turned out, he ended up sending me two 16oz bulk packaging's to make things right. I have never forgotten his generosity, and always look forward to doing business with Russ. When the merger with CI came a few years back, I was optimistic, because I had always had positive results dealing with CI on my cigar orders.

The reality is, some folks are so good at what they do, that it is worth my while to do business with them, even when they make the occasional mistake. Thanks to Russ for all the outstanding blends he has created, as well as the reintroduction of classic blends that he has managed to hit the nail of the head on.

Here is a fantastic video, and one of my favorites. Russ is a master of his craft, and we are lucky to have him in our ranks.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKGbs_pf8OE

• Options
    Both of those have arrived,and I've had a chance to sample them.
    Had two bowls of the Proper English, in two different pipes. It's a nice smoke; enjoyed them both. Time will tell whether or not this makes the rotation -more likely as a "keep it around but not always open" blend.
    One bowl of the LTF. A very nice, lighter Virginia. I can see this sticking around, as well.
  • Options
    I haven't tried Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Twist Flake or Proper English, but his Bullseye Flake and Navy Flake are mainstays in my rotation. I highly recommend them if you want to try more on the Virginia side. I'll have to try LTF one of these days.

And I've never had a bad experience with P&C, but it's always nice to see people having great experiences with them.
  • Options
    I've stayed away from PS LBF and NF, because I am not, as a rule, a perique guy. I have enjoyed the PS 4th Generation 1855. Got some of that stashed away.
  • Options
    Yesterday I received an email from P&C saying that there was a problem with my credit card on my recent order and I needed to call the "enclosed phone number". Only problem was my last order from P&C was in August and I received all but one tin of tobacco (which was out of stock) so I'm pretty sure my credit card worked fine for that order. 

I went to the website and saw their customer service is closed on Saturday & Sunday, so now I'm wondering why I got an email from them on Saturday afternoon. Will call them tomorrow.
  • Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Mr. PappyJoe,

I had the exact same problem a few weeks ago. It turns out I made my original purchase through PayPal (still using a linked card) but two of the items were backordered (DeLuxe Navy Rolls and some Blockade Runner). When those thing came in they couldn't just run the new items on the account since, I guess, PayPal is a one-time authorization. Since the bulk of my order was already sent P & C could not process the other two items and sent me the same email you got. 

Called them up and got a card in file with them direct to solve that problem in the future. 

P.
  • Options
    @judandhispipe Understandable, though I am a fan of Perique. And I enjoy 1855 as well, having just had a pipe of it a few minutes ago.
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    @judandhispipe I think that I have had a similar sage as yours. I will log onto P&C looking for something specific and before I know it I will have wandered off into the weeds looking at something totally different. So many different combinations and blends I haven't tried it is very easy to get sidetracked. The good thing is you got some tobacco and a new Lat blend to try so you weren't too far off the mark.
  • Options
    PS Proper English smokes and cellars well, I opened a 2 year jar recently and it improved some.
  • Options
    I ordered 8oz. of LNF from P&C today from that special they have going, I wanted LBF but it was backordered so hopefully they will have some more as the sale is on for another month.
  • Options
    @Philip - Turns out that was the problem. One of my orders last summer had a single tin on it that was backordered and finally became available. It was a simple phone call to fix by canceling that one tin. I cancelled it because I had 5 tins of tobacco under the Christmas Tree this year.