Home Pipes & Tools
Options

To Softy Bit or Not Softy Bit

That is the question. I have pretty much always used a softy bit with my pipes, especially pipes with vulcanite stems or my more expensive pieces. Last week I took the bits off and absolutely love how much thinner the pipes feel in the mouth. Its also nice to be able to see all that nice German cumberland that's been covered up for so long on some of my pipes. What's your thoughts? Cheers!

Comments

• Options
    I tend to use the soft bits on my heavier pipes, and not on my smaller and lighter pipes. Just from a comfort standpoint.
  • Options
    I had a lot of dental work done about 10 years ago and find that the soft bits on heavier pipes and those I like to clinch makes it more enjoyable and comfortable.
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    edited May 2016
    I have pipes with both, some of my pipes have such a thin stem that the soft bits don't fit tight and others they are perfect for. I guess for me it depends on the pipe; I don't use them at all on my cobs though.
  • Options
    I use softy bits on almost all my pipes, I'm a clencher and I get a more secure/comfortable grip, and minimal stem damage.
  • Options
      I absolutely hate them. They feel so bulky in my mouth and, for me, make it difficult to clench. I'm not a big clencher anyway, but those things make it impossible for me.
  • Options
    kraigsederkraigseder Newcomer
    I tried using them for a while but couldn't get used to the thicker feel also the look to me takes away from the pipe. I totally understand why some like them though.
  • Options
    Definitely a comfort thing! I believe the serious clenchers like em, cuz they really are fantastic at protecting your stems, but if they don't feel right in your mouth, that'll create a negative experience, and that is the worse of the two evils!
  • Options
    Emari32Emari32 Newcomer
    They're ugly,feel uncomfortable and just imagine all the things living under there . Ugh!!!
    Just my opinion of course
  • Options
    KirbybKirbyb Newcomer
  • Options
    Ender03Ender03 Newcomer
    I'm a clencher, so they are vital for me. I don't want to wear a hole in my stems.
  • Options
    i did for a while but found myself to not clinch nearly as much as i thought i would. and i ditched them because most of the time, i'd forget about them and they would get disgusting.
  • Options
    About once a month, depending on how many times I've smoked the pipes that have them, I remove the softy bits, drop them in grain alcohol for a few minutes and then rinse and put back on the stems.

It's no more of a hassle to do that then to clean my pipes.
  • Options
     As I've smoked my pipes more I've found that there not entirely necessary. Although I do have a tendency to leave my pipe clenched and I feel much more secure walking around the shop with a softy on the end. Then again its all perception and most importantly whats comfortable, cause that is why we're all in this wonderful hobby for.
  • Options
    I have tried them several times, but do not use them.  They are too much for my mouth.  I'm a clencher and wish I could, but I just don't like them...
  • Options
    I'm not a clencher so I don't normally use them. I do use one on a pipe I inherited from my Dad with a cracked bit. I don't mind it at all and would probably use them if I carried pipes around in my teeth. But the smoke gets in my eyes and I tend to knock the pipe about and spill ashes. I guess I'd get better at it with practice, but I enjoy just sitting and relaxing with mine.
  • Options
    kaleehbkaleehb Newcomer
    Same as piperdave, some of my pipes have them and some don't. I am a clencher, especially on bent pipes, so most of them are covered. No bits for the cobs.
  • Options
    Personally I hate them. I tried them a little while back, and the bit felt HUGE. I suppose if you start pipe smoking with them you wouldn't know any better though. 
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    I use Softy Bits on almost all of my pipes.  When starting to smoke a pipe I found out quickly I had a tendency to try and chew so the bits were a must.  However, I can't stand them on my churchwardens or any pipe they don't get a good seal on so I am starting to not use them as much. I was reading elsewhere that some people use heat shrink, for electrical wires, for the same protection but not the giant piece of rubber...  its worth giving it a try.
  • Options
    drac2485drac2485 Professor
    Well I broke down and tried the heat shrink method and got some clear heat shrink.  It's not a "chewy" as a softy bit but softens the bite just enough I really like it and since it shrinks it fits down to any size, finally something that fits my churchwardens.  Also, the clear looks really nice on my colored acrylic stems as it doesn't hide them.  It will be interesting to see how well it holds up but 6 meters cost me about 6 bucks so not to worried about it.
  • Options
    I've used them for 30+ years, their great, prevents bite marks and makes the pipe feel more comfortable in my mouth.
  • Options
    I have a problem with a gag reflex if the stem is too wide - and softy bits only magnify the problem. But I do have two pipes which I have softy bits on the because I apparently have one fang (can't be a tooth so it must be a fang) longer than the others and had created a deep tooth mark in the mouth piece of these two particular pipes. Both pipes were heavily smoked work pipes - a Dr. Grabow Starfire which I smoked extensively when I worked as a Milwright in the field ... and the Bribba Calabash when I was forced to changed jobs after an injury and landed an office job as an Expeditor. Back then I was more of a clencher, and apparently gave the poor pipes quite a work-out when aggravated. So to keep from further damaging the stem I put softy bits on them. Of course now that I've retired I seem to hold the pipes more than clench them so the softy bits probably aren't necessary. But I'll leave then just the same.   
  • Options
    Depending on the pipe I can go either way.
  • Options
    I prefer the electricians heat shrink wrap on lighter weight pipes, but some pipes with a wider stem are the ideal candidate for a softee bit. I can't stand to booger up a bit, so it's either one or the other.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited August 2017
    I think they're terrific, but I noticed that when I used them I... uh.... drooled more. So I stopped using them.