Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Old blends we can hope Scandanavian brings back

I have noticed that since Scandinavian took over the pinkerton blends (Granger, H&H, Velvet) the quality control and overall quality has increased dramatically.   I even ordered up a tub of half and half now that Lane is overseeing the quality control and I swore I wouldn't buy that again.  I never had the chance to try Walnut and I hope Lane brings it back so I get the chance (I don't like the MATCH options) What other blends of the past do you hope to see resurrected?  Sugar Barrel?  Union Leader? Rum and Maple?

Comments

• Options
    I would kill to get pouches of Country Doctor, Field and Stream, Barking Dog, and Revelation. I remember the HoW tubs being on sale and not buying them and I regret it still.

I'd also love to see them make Granger in pouches and to bring a lot of their UK plugs to the US like Warrior's, Erinmore, Yachtsman, and Mick McQuaid.
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    I never got to try sugar barrel but if they bring it back I would give it a go. I have also heard good and bad about field and stream but again I would give it a try if brought back. I like velvet but it is hard to find available mostly online I would like to be able to pick it up at my local smoke shop again. Granger in a pouch would be nice instead of having to buy the tub.
  • Options
    @inwithbacchus I've never heard of country doctor before, what was it like? @piperdave I never tried sugar barrel either but I too would give it a shot if I could.  I just got my tub of Velvet in the mail a few days ago along with a tub of Sir walter, that was when I got to thinking about all the blends they could bring back that maybe under Lane would be more consistent and successful.  We can hope right?
  • Options
    I'd sure like to see Rum & Maple make a come back.

• Options
    Does STG own HoW? I tried several of those when I picked up my pipe again in the early '00's. I liked Country Doctor the best. (CD, BD, and Revelation were all burley forward lat blends.)

• Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited December 2016
    EdBojo, Sutliff's Maple Street is a great interpretation of the old Rum & Maple I used to enjoy back in the day. It's one of my two main blends. 
  • Options
    Paul Wansing, agree with the assessment of Half & Half, purchased a tub some time back, had not smoked any in years, very surprised. I liked the Barking Dog, tried a new version, I think it does not have the deer tongue which gave it a unique flavor, as I recall.
    A big thank you to the Scandinavian group for bringing so many good products both new and for some of the old OTCs which many were first familiar with. 
  • Options
    It might be nice to be able to smoke the Edward G. Robinson's blend again. Would like to see Barking Dog come back.
  • Options
    EGR is still around,I think, @Hitz53.
  • Options
    Does anyone remember the old Brindley's Mixture, along the lines of Revelation with the deer's tongue mixed in. Burley flake with small amount of Latakia, very fragrant with a good tobacco taste and room note.
  • Options
    I bought some EGR last year and still have a tin in the cellar. 
    I also would like to try Sugar Barrel and Field & Stream. The old blend I would really like to sample is George Washington. It was my grandfather's daily smoke.