Home The Lounge
Options

New in The Lounge: FOOD & TOBACCO PAIRINGS FOR THE HOLIDAY FEAST

There's usually much ado around the wine and cigar pairings experts come up with to optimize their meals, but not so much when it comes to pipe tobacco. Here is our pairings guide for a few popular holiday foods and blends.

Comments

• Options
    Yes how true, Cigars are paired with a lot of drinks and food, I always felt the pipe was an after meals or desert kind of smoking time, maybe that is why they are not paired as they should be?  After meal drinks and deserts would be great pairings for pipes, maybe you hit on this or maybe not, I am heading off to read the article now.  :)
  • Options
    OH I liked the article, was some good suggestions for pairing. 
    I am more of a bourbon drinker but I do drink red wines but not with Turkey....LOL  I love pairing my Woodford Reserve Double oaked with cigars but not sure I have any pipe tobacco that will blend well with it. 
    I also love Rums, flavored Whiskeys, Whiskey in Coke and most of the harder alcohol, Beer not so much unless it is Rolling Rock, Little Kings Cream Ale, Miller Lite, some German Beers and pre-mixed drinks. 

Has anyone tried the Captain Morgan's Cannon Blast?? I think that is right? Anyway it is good and might be a good pairing for some heavy non aromatic blends....

• Options
    My pipe is for after dinner. If I lit up during the meal, everyone else--all non-smokers--would knock my block off. Get serious; you iknow how etiquette works.
  • Options
    I totally agree with what you've said. However I also normally smoke a pipe after dinner, so I then prefer a good English blend, to contrast the sweetness of the food and desert.

Good reading.
  • Options
    I'm with @oldredbeard - I'm for a pipe after dinner. A good solid lat blend,perhaps with a good single malt. What it will be depends on where I am in my pipe rotation come Sunday. Without looking, I think my Comoy bent billiard will be up. Either GLP Quiet Nights or MacB HH Latakia Flake go nicely in that pipe, and will make a superb after dinner smoke. For the whisky - Lagavulin 16, perhaps.
  • Options
    I'm Italian and we tend to have a lot of seafood during the holidays, especially critters like octopus, squid, oysters & clams, shrimp, and scallops. For the life of me I can't think of a specific tobacco blend that pairs well with anything on my seafood list. So usually I'll just pull out a sweet dessert-type aromatic. And the best way to cap off the evening for me is a hot cup of cocoa with marshmallows and a bowl of Sutliff Frosty Mint. 
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    Good topic, I like to listen to @CountrySquireRadio when they do a pipe tobacco & something paring. I know they have done Tea, Gin, Whiskey even talked about doing tobacco and BBQ pairings. Jon David is hesitant though.