Home Ask an Expert
Options

Which clays are best?

I'd like to try a clay pipe.  Any recommendations on a solid clay (not expensive) that holds up real well, and won't shatter if someone sneezes near it? 

Comments

• Options

flamanar, when it comes to clay pipes, most people think of them as somewhat disposable. In fact, it has always been customary to simply break off a portion of the stem, once it has chipped away from repeated clenching. As for pricing, the smaller versions are usually in the neighborhood of what you will pay for a standard cob, and the larger versions usually go for around $25 to $30. Here is a link to some folks in Pennsylvania that have some quality clays for sale. Their small Caribbean Pirate Clay is ideal for smoking rope and flake tobaccos.

• Options
    Personally I really like my clay from tobaccopipes.com http://www.tobaccopipes.com/large-clay-smooth-tobacco-pipe/  its $14.99 which includes the shipping.  One important thing to know before smoking a clay pipe is don't hold onto the bowl.  It gets REALLY HOT!!!
  • Options
    On pipesandcigars.com the Old German Clay pipes start at $9.99 and go up to around $45 depending on how fancy you want it to look. 
    You can probably find other clay pipes at on-line retailers in the same price range. 

I have one clay pipe that I will usually pull out for the first bowl from a new tin of tobacco. It was a gift but when it breaks, I will buy another one because I like it. They are a little hard to clench because the clay is hard and like @drac2485 said, you can't hold them by the bowl when smoking - unless you're wearing an oven mitt. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses folks.  Some good advice in there (I would've found out the hard way about the bowl getting hot, lol).

xDutchx, your link didn't come through in your response.  Can you try that again?  I'd be interested to know what place in PA you're referring to.  Thanks!
  • Options

flamanar, sorry about missing the link. LoL

• Options

Well, for some reason I can't cut and paste the link.

Try doing a search for Pipeshoppe.com and look for the Caribbean Pirate Pipe.

• Options
    Thanks xDutchx!   I found what you were talking about.  Hey, they seem more substantial in the stem than other clays I've seen on the 'net today.  I like the idea of a varnished tip as well.  Looks like I'm ordering at least a couple of these guys.  Thanks again!
  • Options
    flamanar, yeah the varnished tip should make for a better smoking experience. When I first tried a clay, I noticed that the effect on my lips reminded me of chapped lips. I tried smoking the clay from the corner of my mouth, and had a lot less discomfort. I think it is mostly the thin skin area of the inner lip that is most affected, and smoking from the corner helps diminish the effect. Like a cob the clay is very nostalgic, so I am willing to put up with some of the negatives and keep a clay in my rotation. Even though they are somewhat fragile, with proper care these clays can provide years of enjoyment. Also, I have had good luck keeping the cake out of mine, with a little Jim Beam on a Q-tip.
  • Options
    I love a good clay. Pipeshoppe.com is a good starting point. As noted above, Pipesandcigars.com has Old German clay pipes. Smokingpipes.com carries a couple of Old Dominion's clays. And at the top of the list is Dawnmist.org. Dawnmist pipes are high quality historical replicas made by a lady in Britain. The downside is that they're not as readily available as some other clays. They're not rare or hard to come by, but you should have some patience.

I think the fragility of clay pipes is a bit overrated. They need a little more care when handling, but they don't need to be babied. Don't carry it in your pocket, and don't drop it or smack it against a hard surface. If you fire clean it, make sure it heats up and cools down evenly to avoid cracking. I've had two crack due to uneven heating, but they're still smokeable. I've only had one break, when I opened a door which smacked the pipe, knocking it out of my mouth and on to the tile floor.
  • Options
    Recently came across www.lepeltier-pipes.com 
    Check out the pipes and the information about how they make them.
  • Options
    Another good thread and again I am making different pipes out of different stuff so I will post pics when done. 
  • Options
    Dawnmist has an amazing thing going there!  They really seem to put out authentic replica clay pipes that are seriously accurate.  They know their history, to say the least!

Lepeltier Pipes:  Wow.  While looking at Dawnmists website, I had wondered why nobody had done any clay pipes that were glazed?  I think they heard me, lol.  Really beautiful pieces available at Lepeltier!  

I'm intrigued by both businesses, and am excited to try their products in the near future!

Thanks folks for some great recommendations.  I wasn't aware there were serious-quality clay-pipe-makers out there until this thread.  I appreciated the education, and this may transform my pipe-smoking experience!  I won't be giving up my cobs and the few briars I own...but I foresee clay as an important part of my rotation.