Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Pipes on ebay

Has anyone ever bought any pipes off ebay. I am asking because I was browsing and come across some pipes that just did not look right, and I was wondering about the return policy if by some odd chance I did not get the pipe I bid on.

Comments

• Options
    Corey, I have bought quite a few pipes off ebay over the years. Personally, I stay away from auctions outside the CONUS, because eBay's money back guarantee won't cover you there. I have had consistently good luck with 3 sellers in particular. Great Estate Pipes, Coopersark, and Treasure Pipes. I've never needed to return a pipe to any of these guys, and they are highly regarded by most pipe smokers. I say most, because there are some collectors who are very picky about how some collectible pipes are restored. However, all three of these sellers sell pipes in new unsmoked condition on a regular basis, if you are more inclined to stay away from restored estates. Personally, I have picked up some restored estates from these guys, that were restored to pristine condition, and were a terrific value, costing only a fraction of what the pipe originally went for new in the sock.
  • Options
    I have, fortunately and unfortunately, purchased a large percent of my collection from ebay sellers.  I have always done my research on the sellers, read reviews, to determine if I want to purchase from them.  Unfortunately, I have found that most ebay sellers tell you to look at their pictures and ask questions or else what you get is what you get.  They do this to protect themselves and is understandable.  I have only purchase pipes that have plenty of pictures to give me a good, complete view of what I am getting.  I do ask questions and if they don't respond in a reasonable amount of time I understand the purchase may have a risk.  Ebay's policy if you get the wrong product is the seller has to correct the issue, by sending you the correct product (you have to return the incorrect) and/or refunding your purchase.  No matter what, unless you and the seller work out that your going to keep the incorrect product in exchange for the other, you have to return the incorrect product.  Ebay will work with you and act as a mediator if there are problems.  I have always been happy with my purchases but have very specific things I look for in the items I purchase/bid on and from the sellers or else I just look and never plan on buying. 

I will warn you that not everything is marked properly, for example Peterson's that are actually Pioneer.  You as the buyer are taking the risk of what your purchasing as the seller only has to describe them to the best of their ability.

Best of luck purchasing pipes on Ebay.  I have had great luck and daily look for new pipes to add to my collection. 
  • Options

Most of my collection is from ebay, you just have to read the description, if its to vague, I won't bid, otherwise no issues.

• Options
    I've had only good experiences, buying two used Carey pipes on eBay. The were sold, not auctioned. Both had excellent (accurate) photographs and descriptions, and I purchased them at 15.00 each. Both arrived at least mostly reconditioned (cake removed, etc.) One had a distinct Latakia smell to it; the previous owner had enjoyed English blends?  In any event, I thoroughly cleaned the bowls, shanks and stems with rum. I enjoy smoking both of them. 

The conclusion I draw is: be cautious, but there are some real values to be had in estate/used/reconditioned pipes on eBay.
  • Options
    I've not purchased through Ebay; my estates have come from etailers - SmokingPipes, Smokers' Haven,and BriarBlues. I know some smokers have had good luck, and others not so good. The advice given in this thread seems pretty good to me.
  • Options

I've bought a number of pipes through Ebay, you have to know what you're looking at which means sharp photos of all features of the pipe. I restore the pipes myself so I'll buy a pipe on the rough side if it is the right one. I got burned by a figurative Meerschaum that went cheap, looked great. stem glued on, shining a strong light through the stem showed a piece of stiff wire rammed through it to hold it together and the 1/4 20 bone screw broken in the stem. Looked at it as a challenge. I razor sawed it apart, removed the pieces of broken screw, my buddy made an adapter to mate the stummel to the bowl. It worked out well. A Versingetorix Figural that I wanted for $7. 

Versingetorix Meerschaum
  • Options

Oh, another seller I have had good dealings with, is Pipestud (Steve Fallon.) The difference in Pipestud's offerings, is that most of the estate pipes have not been restored, which usually means that they end up selling a little cheaper than they would otherwise. He also has unsmoked pipes in his listings on a regular basis as well. You can save a lot of money buying old pipes in good condition and restoring them yourself.

Here is an example of one of those type pipes, that looked a little rough in the auction pics, but cleaned up really well. A friend of mine from Maryland restored the pipe for me, and did a fantastic job. He has the restoration documented on the reborn pipes blog dated 09/13/2015, but I can't cut and paste a link. Here is a pic of the pipe though, a late 30's Peterson Acorn Paneled P-Lip, stamped EIRE on one side of the diamond shank, and "Petersons Dublin K" on the opposite side. I picked this one up from judperl (Judd Perlson) on ebay a little over a year ago. He is another seller I have had good dealings with over the years. I just had a hunch that this pipe was still solid, and would clean up nicely, and luckily I was correct. I have recently dedicated this pipe to Gawith and Hoggarth's Black Irish X rope.

PetersonPreRepublicK{EIRE}1938to1941-1

PetersonPreRepublicK{EIRE}1938to1941-9

PetersonPreRepublicK{EIRE}1938to1941-9a
  • Options
    Great looking pipe @xDutchx.
  • Options
    Thanks pipeman! It's not the most expensive pipe I have in my collection, but it is one that I am really proud to have added, and the old briar smokes fantastic!
  • Options

This is a recent 'bay auction win--took a while to get here...from Austria. Straight-grain/with the typical birds'-eye on the base of the bowl. Total including shipping...under $100. This for a straight-grain...yah, dat ain't bad...1210161550_HDR
  • Options
    Rshey1Rshey1 Apprentice
    I've made lots of purchases through EBay.I've been burnt by eBay a few times,however I've never purchased a pipe. The last time I used the service I lost $950. I will never use eBay again! eBay was fantastic years ago. It's not worth the gamble to me now.
  • Options
    At any given time, there are literally thousands of pipes for sale on eBay. A lot of them are crap. 

1. Generally more money means better pipe. Real bargains may be found, but if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. 

2. Most of the Made-in-China pipes that say “quality” are pure junk. 

3. Stick with reputable pipe makers if you’re not pipe-savvy. 

4. Look for pipes made from Briar and Meerschaum only. 

6. Before buying or bidding, research the pipe on various pipe forums and websites groups to see reviews and information. 

7. Be sure you examine the photographs, read the description and determine whether the seller is reputable. 

I bought two used pipes and am happy with them. 

• Options
    It is a roll of the dice.  You may get a pristine pipe or you may get one with a nasty filter and a stuck stem. Good Luck!
  • Options
    The only real issue I had was the seller just threw the pipe in one of those thin spongy envelopes and shipped it. Stem broke at the tenon. Got half the price back. Still debating whether to get the darn thing fixed or not...

• Options
    I've bought good ones & I've bought okay ones but I've never bought a bad one & I've always got a great price.
  • Options

I've bought several pipes this year on Ebay and have been fortunate to received exactly what was advertised. Two pipes I purchased from H.S. Studio are superb looking as well as smoking. And have even bought a few of the pear wood pipes which I'm quite happy with as well. I was kind of leery about buying a pipe made of any material other than briar or meerschaum, but they all proved to be durable good smokers. So in my experience, I've been quite happy with my EBAY pipe purchases. But I must add that all but one pipe purchased was advertised as new and unsmoked, and not an estate pipe. The one estate pipe I bought was a '221B Baker Street' pipe made in Israel, which is an exact duplicate of one I already own purchased back in the mid-80s' - but it is one of my favorite pipes so when I saw another listed for under $30.00 I had to get it as a spare. It's my only estate EBAY purchase - and it turned out fine. But when purchasing a quality or name brand pipe like my Petersons or even the Big Ben pipes in my collection, I stick with established online pipe and tobacco retailer rather than an EBAY vendor.

Been lucky so far on EBAY with pipes but wish I could say the same for multi-disc DVD collections. It seems like every time I get a complete season DVD collection at least one disc in the set is faulty. 

• Options
    I bought a Studio HS myself and I'm really pleased with it, still breaking it in. I just got a Butz-Choquin  carved briar of Veringetorix that I'm delighted with. Conversely, the only pipe I was upset over was also a Veringetorix carved Meerschaum that someone butchered and glued together with a steel wire holding the stem on, The carving was ok so with a Micro Saw, and a good friend  who is a machinist, we managed to rebuild it. It smokes well but, I have to disassemble it to clean it properly,Versingetorix Meerschaum
  • Options
    Most of my pipes came from ebay and are fine pipes. I sterilize them,
    which to me means I take them back to bare briar. I build my own cake
    in them and open the draft if the draw feels tight. I have not gotten one
    that was cracked or burned thru. But that can happen. Look closely at
    the pictures, if anything looks off, move on. There is always another pipe
    that calls to you.
  • Options
    Some tips; If they only show one side of a pipe, if they manage to always leave the stem tip out of the shot, if they don't show all sides, top and bottom. I wouldn't buy it. 
  • Options
    Here's a shot of the Veringetorix (Gauloise) 60 by Butz- Choquin The stem is going to need buffing out from too much sun but, it's unsmoked.Butz-Choquin Gaulois 60 Verisngetorix
  • Options
    @LostMason, I see that your a RAM, I'm a PHP.
  • Options
    Thank you for your input.I ordered a few when I get back to the house I will post some pics.
  • Options
    @pipeman83, Our "group" was so small , I was HP and Commander my second year.
    Been so long since I can't remember the third, but we only had around 10-12 show up
    at any given time. Are you also SR ?
  • Options
    @LostMason, I'm a 32nd, but I dropped out ,to expensive, Your thinking of R&SM as the other I'm very active in that, I'm CofC in that body, Was a KT but demitted, it can get expensive with all the dues of the various bodies, I'm a PM of my lodge.
  • Options
    Picked these up the first two for 25 dollars and second one for 20.
  • Options
    Very nice pipes @Corey562, You've a nice rotation there.
    Just don't get hung up on coloring the meers, let it happen
    naturally..
  • Options
    @LostMason I figure I'll just smoke the as normal wax when needed and let nature take it's corse.
  • Options
    That's the ticket, relax and smoke. They will pick up a tan on their own.