Home The Lounge
Options

New in The Lounge: A Pipe Smoking Christmas

edited December 2016 in The Lounge
Pipe smoking and Christmas have long been intertwined. Santa smokes a clay pipe, while Frosty sports a corncob. In The Lounge, we explore the the cultural pipe smoking associations with Christmas.

Comments

• Options
    Nice little essay.
  • Options
    There is something to be said about smoking a pipe on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I find that it helps me to more easily remember the memories made during the Holiday for years to come and makes the Holiday Season and of course Christmas even more enjoyable. To all my fellow pipe smokers may this Christmas find you with the ones you love and pipe in hand.

Merry Christmas!
  • Options
    Nice article. However I have never seen it said that Santa Claus smokes a clay pipe. The poem just says a "stump of a pipe" and most of the artwork shows him smoking a variety of pipes - briars, churchwardens, calabash and what could be either a clay or a meerschaum cutty. 

• Options
    I think what Santa smokes is up for debate. Frosty however, smokes a corncob for certain, and got run out of town for vagrancy by the boys in blue. Gene Autry etched that one in stone! LoL