Home General
Options

rolling pipe tobacco

So I live in a very cold part of the states and along with that i don't have a place to smoke inside (sweet baby doesn't let dad smoke in the house) I have a smaller pipe and it works very well. but some times i cant carry a pipe. i don't like cigarettes. but sometimes i just need to enjoy the taste and pleasure. i was recommended by a friend to get slow burning paper and roll pipe tobacco. how does the pipe community look at such a thing?? 

Comments

• Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur

@maxwell04 I have heard of musing pipe tobacco using rolling papers but
    I have never tried it. I know a lot of roll your own tobacco is labeled as pipe
    tobacco because of the taxes but I have never tried that type of tobacco.
    Really you won't be tamping anything and if you get it going like a cigar I
    think it should stay lit. It will have to be really rubbed out I assume.

• Options
  • Options
    I smoke Peter Stokkebye Amsterdam pipe tobacco when I roll my sticks and I like it in my bowl. I don't like the cigarette cut Amsterdam. I have also rolled D&R Ryback but it is a shag cut. Most of the stuff that is labeled pipe tobacco, i.e. OHM, Bugler, etc., doesn't taste to good in a pipe.
  • Options
    do it. It's like buying 32 small paper pipes for $1.69. expect it to take a whole pack at least before you get the hang of it. worst case scenario you spend $2 and you learn that paper doesn't taste as good as tobacco.  on the other hand you may find that your "tiny paper pipe" is just for you. quicker than sitting down for a half an hour bowl. cheaper than losing a $6 cob when you flip your canoe out fishing. less time on cleaning to. take back all that extra pocket space for your car keys when you don't have to keep pipe cleaners on hand! bugeler even has printer paper flavored papers so you can enjoy your favorite English blend with the combination of dusty leather bound book with typewriter ink and a full paper factories worth of chemicals. seriously though bugler papers left the worst aftertaste/afterfeel ever. I feel as though reguler newspaper would have given a cleaner taste. around my area of operations the local gas stations usually carry zig zag or job. either will produce a fine smoke but my favorite so far has been elements. they are a much thinner rice paper that tastes clean and burns straight but I had to order them from amazon because I haven't found any local. I would start out with 1.25 size any bigger and they are to long to keep straight and the smaller standard size I had a hard time learning with because my clumsy hands couldn't hold on to something so small. as to wich tobacco to try I say all of them! I got the most flavor from sutliff black spice from rolling it up. the only thing you have to keep in mind ribbon and shag will be easiest and safest. if you have to fine of a cut you can lose your cherry or rain red hot bits of tobacco every time the wind gusts. usually not a big deal unless its a loose roll but something to keep in mind nevertheless. but try it! at a price much less a new pipe or even a new tin to try. where could you go wrong?
  • Options
    @Kingpin308 great info man that was exactly what I was wondering, seems to be that it works And is a great way to enjoy tobacco. Right now where I live in Montana we are in sub zero temperatures. Man I really appreciate the info thank you.