Home The Pack
Options

English/Non-Aromatic Blend Suggestions/Favorites

Today I busted out my first ever English blend and gave it a try. Everything I have done thus far has been aromatic. I was pleasantly surprised by it and enjoyed my smoke this afternoon. It was GL Pease Westminster. I want to have a few more rounds of it to get a better read on it. But are there any other suggestions on different ones to get? And why?

Comments

• Options
    I would say G.l. Pease Gaslight, for me at least the Latakia is full but over the top drowning you the Latakia. Another one is Mac Baren HH Latakia flake, it has a sweet smoky taste.
  • Options
    I am not a lat bomb guy, although I want to know it's there. Dunhill Standard and Peterson Old Dublin are faves, along with Dunhill MM 1938 (Baby's Bottom). High quality blends with a good latakia presence but not overwhelming, to my taste. The MacB Latakia Flake is also quite good.

• Options
    For lighter English blends the original Frob Morton is good. Samuel Gawiths Squadron Leader is also great. A very balanced blend. Smoky latikia balanced well with sweet hay/grassy Virginia. Someone mentioned GL Pease Gaslight. That is excellent as well. I also am fond of Dunhill Night Cap but it is a full flavored strong blend.
  • Options
    Peter Stokkeby Light English has a lower Latakia presence, McClelland's 5110 Old Dark English is one of  the heavy ones.
  • Options
    Dunhill Night Cap smoked out of a Rhodesian/ bulldog style pipe for the authentic experience is something I would highly recommend. John Bull is a good mild and cheap English style blend.
  • Options
    Peterson Wild Atlantic is a mild English and Balkan Sasieni is a full body and very good blend.
  • Options
    I like a Scottish blend like Dunill's 965. The added sweet and smooth flavor of the cavendish is just what I like to mellow out an English (since I am also not a huge fan of overpowering Latakia).

For a well-balanced English (vs. a 'Lat bomb'), I quite enjoy Dunhill's reintroduction of Durbar Mixture. The virginia is very present and there is enough going on to keep me paying attention to it without one player dominating.

I like Balkan Sasieni and Nightcap, too.

I hear good things about the Seattle Pipe Club's offerings, but I can't speak about them from personal experience. I have some in my cellar, but I have yet to break them open.
  • Options

Balkan Sasieni, Speaking of, I saw EA Carey's smokeshop has Balkan Sobranie in stock, it may be gone already, I got word yesterday.

• Options
    Just went to site, they still seem to have it, limit 6 tins, looks to be $24.95 each.
  • Options
    Seattle's plum pudding, bengal slices, balkan sobranie, and 10 russians are all great.
  • Options
    I'm still a novice and haven't had the time to try a pluthera of tobys, but I tend towards english blends, and thus far I have thoroughly enjoyed Early Morning Pipe and just busted open Frog Morton's Cellar the other day (both very popular). FMC was a joy to smoke! I understand these are lighter english blends good for aromatic smokers to try as an introduction english.
  • Options
    I like Delta Days from Hearth and Home as well as Dunhill Nightcap.  Another one I have been reaching for is Atlas Balkan from C&D.  If I had to pick one though it would be Nightcap
  • Options
    Straus Private Stock and Private Stock Aromatic. Straus is located in Cincinnati. The Aromatic, in this case, means more Latakia.

I smoke mostly my own creations, if you like, I can send along some of the recipes. I think emails are available at our profiles...
  • Options
    Frog Morton Cellar or Dunhill Early Morning
  • Options
    McClelland 5110 Old Dark English, Newminster Ulltimate English are 2 of my Favorites.
  • Options
    I'll second Balkan Sasieni - forgot about that one. H&H White Knight is also an excellent medium Balkan - to my taste, that most closely replicates the Balkan Sobranie I loved in the early 1970s.
  • Options
    Been enjoying Sutliff's Fox and Hound a lot lately. Very good. I hear Stokkebye's English Luxury is a classic.
  • Options
    For me any of the Frog Morton series is great for a mild smoke. Hearth and Home's 10 Til Midnight is also a great sliced cake full of flavor.
  • Options
    Nat Sherman 536. Excellent flavor, and a 'cooperative' blend that just burns really nicely for me every time. Balanced English...nothing challenging or over-bearing about it. 

• Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Sir,
    I would begin by identifying what specific kind of tobacco you enjoy the most. Get blends that feature each of the different tobaccos. So for example, get some straight Virginia, a mild blend that features Latakia and another that has some standout Perique. Don't forget to find one heavy in Oriental. You can browse through tobaccoreviews.com and choose some that sound like they might appeal to you. Afterwards you can zero in on what you like by seeing what you like about each of the components of a blend. 

Of course it's fun to try out blends people recommend, that's the best way to discover a gem, but you may as well learn what's going on in these blends to hone your pallet. 

By the way you probably shouldn't smoke some of those, like Latakia or Perique, with too high of a percentage in the blend. You will go cross-eyed and everyone around you will hate you.
  • Options
    Gee, fortunately I smoke alone. I enjoy most English Lats.
  • Options
    SLCarricoSLCarrico Apprentice
    Wow. I just discovered a new toby that you may like: Peter Stokkebye's Proper English. Smooooth (and not heavy, at least for my taste, which I know is relative because I smoke strong blends) but you should try it anyhow.
  • Options

One of my favorite Oriental forward Latakia blends, is McClelland Mixture #14. I am working on a tin I have open from 1997 right now, and the Latakia has mellowed quite a bit, leaving the Orientals to dominate with a somewhat sour note.

Most pipe smokers find that Latakia blends hit their peak in strength and optimum flavor around year 2, then begin to lose some strength as time passes. If you prefer the more subtle Lat blends, you might give a tin with some age on it a go, and see how it hits your palate.

Keep in mind though, like a good single barrel bourbon, there may be some slight inconsistencies from batch to batch, based on age differences and crop year.

• Options
    PhilipPhilip Enthusiast
    Mr. Dutch you couldn't be more right. The Frog Morton's from McClelland are great blends and I have a 15 year old tin of On The Town open now and love it. I'm going to add the Mixture #14 to my next order. Sounds like something I'd really enjoy. Thank you.
  • Options
    bambambambam Newcomer
    edited January 2017
    I like Stokkebye's English Luxury for a mellow English and Proper English for something with a little more oomph
  • Options

@Philip, McClelland has quite a few of the Oriental forward Lat mixtures. Look for the tins similar to Christmas Cheer, only green label instead of red. I agree that the Frog Morton line is one of the best on the market, and one that seasoned smokers, as well as anyone new to Latakia blends can enjoy. Even though the McNeil's are known for their superior Virginia blends, they have some very exceptional blends in the other genre's.

• Options
    I like Dunhill's Elizabethan Mixture when I am looking for a non aromatic to enjoy.
  • Options

I am in agreement with other posters...  You can't go wrong with any of the Frog Morton blends.  My favorite was Frog Morton's Cellar by a long shot.  I also liked Dunhill Nightcap quite a bit.

I recently ordered 5oz of Lane BS-005  in bulk due to the reviews and the description and I also ordered 5oz of Lane Medal of Valor.

Once I try them both, I may add them to my regular English blend tobacco rotation.

Regards, Matthew

• Options
    Try the PS Blend from Country Squire.  A good crossover from aromatics to English.  I get a cherry flavor out of it (slight) and then the latakia kicks in.  Ummmmm........
  • Options
    ...that should be Mmmmmmmmm.......