Home Pipes & Tools
Options

Missouri Meerschaum Question

Q: Will the small, unfiltered MM stems accept a stinger?

I like having something to block the airway slightly in cobs to avoid getting ash and dottle pulled through at the end of a bowl. I have a couple of these stems and would like some sort of small filter to put in them but do not have a stinger to experiment with. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    I'm guessing the answer would be no. I have two MM pipes from the Cobbit series that both have the small stems and I don't see where you could put anything in them like a stinger. On the other hand, I have 5 other cobs with the amber stems and I don't use filters in them. 

One suggestion which might work would be to buy some of the balsa filters and see if you can cut them down to fit without restricting the draw too much.

• Options
    bluespiperbluespiper Newcomer
    edited November 2016
    Thanks PappyJoe. That's actually what I have been doing but it's rather time consuming. That might be my only remedy for those stems.
  • Options
    I just ordered a MM cob and should have it this week. It's a Cobbit Dwarf. Reading all of the comments you folks have posted about these pipes, I decided to give one a try.

Is there anything special that I need to know about the smoking and/or cleaning of a semi-churchwarden cob?
  • Options
    Nice choice, @Topaz75!
    I have 4 and I love them. Don't have any of the Cobbit series but they are on my list. Cobs in general are a great smoke and low maintenance. Don't worry about building a cake in the bowl - the cob itself keeps heat and moisture low.
  • Options
    I want a Cobbit Shire, real bad, hurry up X-mas!
  • Options
    The Cobbit Dwarf stem is 4 1/2" long,6" total so it uses normal pipe cleaners. A normal cleaner can be used to clear the airway.
  • Options
    Thanks, Woodsman. That's one of the things I was wondering about. I'm expecting the pipe to arrive today.
  • Options
    There are churchwarden length cleaners available as well.
  • Options
    The stem just broke off on my Cobbit Elf. That sucks because now I'm going to have to find a replacement stem once I get the broken piece out of the shank.
  • Options
    PappyJoe. I have also been concerned about the stem on my new Cobbit Elf. I like the feel of the pipe and the draw seems to be excellent. However, the stem connection appears to be quite delicate. I have yet to try removing the stem from the pipe.
  • Options
    I've had mine for over a year. The problem was the pipe or the construction of the stem. The problem was the idiot who put it in the front pocket of his jeans and forgot it was there when he bent over to pick up something one of the grand kids dropped. Can you say "SNAP!"

My only concern before now has been how tight the stems fit. Not a big issue though because they pass a long pipe cleaner just fine.
  • Options
    I have a few cobbits from the very first run of them and I have compared them to the more recent pipes. The early cobbits (excluding the giant Wizard) and the newer ones have different tenons. The original run were nearly impossible to remove from the shank and fit entirely inside the shank. The newer made smaller cobbits now have a more easily removed stem that looks more like a standard stem. This is, in my opinion, an improvement on the earlier version.

It sounds like you might have one of the earlier pipes. I have never been able to remove the stems of mine. The newer ones are much better.

I share this partly to encourage anyone who has only experienced the earlier versions. If so, and if it turned you off the cobbit line, I hope you will revisit them now that improvements have been made.
  • Options
    Pappy Joe, You can use a small screw extractor a longish sheet metal screw to pull the broken piece out. Pick a screw that's slightly larger than the hole in the piece, screw it in 2 or 3 turns, grab the screw head with a pliers and pull it out. Call MM and see if they'll send you a stem, I haven't seen any Cobbit spares listed on their site. I always order 1 or 2 spare stems when I order a normal cob, they only cost 50 cents.
  • Options
    Bluespiper; You could put a piece of 1/4" stem brush in the mortice end of the stummel. the wooden part is bored a distance past  the end of the stem and there should be room for it. and the twisted metal part should fit into the airway without blocking the flow too much. They cost under $1.
  • Options
    Thanks Woodsman! I will give this a try. This will save some $ by nixing the balsa wood as well.
  • Options
    medico and dr garbo filters fit the amber stems of MM stems. if you contact MM in Washington mo, you can buy sreplacement stems I believe. Also forever stems are avalible at Old Log Cabin Pipe works.