Home Ask an Expert
Options

Draft hole diameters?

piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
edited May 2016 in Ask an Expert

Is there standard drill bit draft hole diameters that pipe makers use?
I have heard of people increasing the draft hole in the shank of their pipe for better draw or personal preference. I am sure that there are the differences between standard and metric depending on where the pipe is made but does anyone know the sizes or if they all vary? I know this isn't something that you just grab a drill bit and chuck it up and go at the pipe shank but I was curious about using a bit by hand to simply clear/clean the draft hole. I would like to get a couple of bits to have on hand?

Comments

• Options
    rumrum4merumrum4me Professor
    My personal preference is for the draft hole to be at least 9/64 but no larger than 5/32. I use these drill bits and smaller bits if necessary, by hand using a small vice grip to hold them tight. I go very slowly working it back and forth to leave a smooth hole. I always start with the smallest bit and work my way up, so as not to stress the shank. Hope this helps, just remember that these are just my preferences, but most modern pipes already come with these sizes for draft holes. Older pipes may have smaller holes, or are just clogged with gunk, so I always use a drill bit on used pipes to clean and open the holes.

• Options
    I prefer 5/32" as well.  If I decide that the draw is too tight on a pipe I look at both the stem and the draft before deciding which one to work on first.  Just like @rumrum4me, I use a small vise grip and hand turn the bit and work up in size as needed.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    @rumrum4me and @johnlawitzke thank you both. I also appreciate the info about using vise grips.

• Options
    I drill all my pipes at 5/32".
    Perfect draw.

www.birdandbear.us
  • Options
    I prefer a 5/32" airway, if I get a pipe with anything less I modify them myself.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Thanks for the info @birdandbear and @briarboy I would say that 5/32" is the preferred size for a standard draft hole. Do either one of you notice any difference in a pipe made overseas or from a location that uses metric?
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    @piperdave I believe the highend makers overseas use 3.5mm (slightly under 5/32") or 4mm (just over 5/32"), most factory pipes still seem to be using smaller airways though.
  • Options

The two pipes I purchased from H.S. Studio require tapping the draft hole slightly larger. I'm not sure what the size of the original draft hole was but I had to work my way up to 5/32" a bit at a time. So it was considerable smaller. Now they smoke like a dream. These are the two pipes, and appear to be the work of the same pipe maker.

Giger Pipe 1

ghosts of pompeii vesuvius pipe 2
  • Options
    I sent my Chuck Sands and Chacom Festival to Tim West in Columbus ,Ohio to open them up, they smoke great now.
  • Options

Some pipes will smoke much easier, stay drier, as well as stay lit longer, if opened up to a larger diameter. However, some pipes, such as the short nosewarmers that I enjoy smoking, can be ruined very quickly, if drilled out to a larger diameter.

Typically, the definition of a nosewarmer, is any pipe shorter than 4 3/4 inches in overall length.

Also, another aspect to consider, is that the collectible resale value of a pipe may be reduced, if the pipe is not left to original factory specs. Some folks who restore pipes nowdays give little thought to topping pipes etc, as a means to hide flaws or damage, and collectors with a keen eye are privy to these tactics.

There was a time when I experimented by drilling out some of my pipes, but nowdays I give careful consideration to doing so, especially so with some pipes in particular.

Another aspect to consider, is that some pipe carvers feel that if you don't like their pipes made to the specifications that they use, they would prefer that you purchase a pipe from someone other than them.

Like the old saying goes, in some cases, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Just giving some food for thought here, because some relatively new pipe smokers may get the idea that drilling out every pipe they own would be a great idea, and then a few months down the road might wish they could put some wood back. Wood ain't metal, and once you take it away, you can't add some back and grind it down.

• Options
    @ghostsofpompeii Both are very nice looking pipes, the wax drip has a really good color in my opinion. I have also used a larger drill bit in order to open up the airway of some of my estate pipes that seemed clogged.

@pipeman83 I have had a couple of pipes refurbished by Tim West he does a phenomenal job and I also appreciate/enjoy his briar craftsmanship too.

@xdutchx I understand where you are coming from, and those are good points but the pipes that I have "opened up" I do not plan on selling nor are they rare collectables.
    I have had a couple of pipes that I have noticed they closed up due to build up, I enjoy more estate pipes and like the bowl, the airway on some have become diminished so in those cases I have taken drill bits stepping from small to larger and cleaned out the airways; admittedly it is a slow process because I am making sure I remove dottle/goop and cotton (usually from pipe cleaner left overs) and not mainly wood. With that said I have noticed a much better smoke in those pipes and I think that is because the airway is back to its intended size. IMHO
    I can understand where others are coming from when they want to actually increase the airway by removing the wood, of course this is at their own peril like you said some artisans intended for the airways in their pipes to be specific for a reason and I have heard where those who've attempted to increase the airway and damaged the pipe in doing so. You are 100% correct "Wood ain't Metal". LOL : )
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    @piperdave -- Good info. Thanks.

• Options
    @piperdave,I just received my new Tim West 2017 today, he was selling it on ebay and I was the high bidder @ $49.00, brand new unsmoked!
  • Options
    @pipeman83 wow what a stealdeal, that pipe looks awesome. I like the plateau on the top rim and shank, and the grain is really nice and straight. The rustication on the bottom is very unique too. Congrats on the new addition.
  • Options
    @piperdave, thanks,smoked it already,I'm going to bring it to the NASPC show next month.