Home General
Options

Any Coffee Connoisseurs Here?

Comments

• Options
    I remember having coffee and toast watching Romper Room in an apartment we moved out of when I was 5. Caffeine is just another nutrient! 
  • Options
    I remember having coffee (with cream and sugar) with breakfast when my dad and uncles and I built our garage one summer.  The house was built in ‘71’, and the garage was built a year or two later, so that would put me at about 8/9?  I also remember having coffee at breakfast at my grandparents probably around 12-15. What was funny though is that my cousin whom was the same age asked for coffee too.  His mom had the most surprised look on her face and commented “coffee?”, apparently he had not had coffee before.  He got his coffee though.  I remember thinking to myself...”I’ve been drinking coffee for years”🙂.  Mmm coffee😋
  • Options
    AceFourAceFour Master
    edited May 2021
    Use to own a coffeeshop at one time.  Tramped around Nicaragua with Counter Culture Coffee crew one year.  They are fantastic roasters.

At home I roast my own beans from Sweet Maria's in the Behmor.  You can say I'm a bit of a coffee nut as I go though about 1lb a week. Just got today a hookup that got me Geisha from Fina Monte Nuavo from Guatamala.  Cannot wait to roast this up!  May have to pop an old tin to enjoy this experience.
  • Options
    @AceFour
    I almost opened a coffee shop some time ago. While looking for vendors I ran into a craft roaster who started me on Ethiopian coffee. I  currently roast Ethiopian and Kenyan to an almost full city for myself and Brazil full city+ for my wife. We also enjoy Guatemalan now from Amazon but I used to buy from Invalsa and Captain's Coffee. @RockyMountainBriar roasts also.
  • Options
    AceFourAceFour Master
    Doing you own business is not for the feint of heart.  It was fun but is a lot of work.  I miss my customers but we pulled the plug when sales plummeted after Lehman Brother debacle.  Soon there after 6 more shops closed after us.
  • Options
    Very true. I had a regional wholesale/retail business at the time and my wife wanted to start a food oriented business. Unfortunately health issues and the economy conspired to quash both.
  • Options
    I used to home roast.  I may give it a try again someday.  I just don't have the space for it right now.  It can really stink up the house and I live in a poorly ventilated apartment.  I also need to replace a gasket on my espresso machine.

My office also has KCup machines we can use in the break room, but we are not able to have small machines at our desk anymore.  They rented these horrible office cubes that short out.  It would knock out power for 8 people and take a few hours to fix.  Then they would always blame it on a coffee maker, fan, desk lamp or cellphone charger.  
  • Options
    No Starbucks for me... We do have a local roaster - PrairieFire - good stuff.  But day to day I drink the Walmart brand Donut Shop.  I can't tell the difference between it and Dunkin Donuts coffee. except I only pay $6 for a 2-pound can.  It's all in the coffee maker, high temp brewing is the secret and Mr. Coffee doesn't cut it.
  • Options
    My cardiologist told me to cut my coffee consumption to 1 cup a day.  He failed to mention how big the cup should be... and I switched to hot tea in the evening. Of course, he also told me to stop smoking - "ONE CIGAR COULD KILL YOU!"  I asked him to tell me which cigar that was and I would be sure to avoid it.  He does not appreciate my sense of humor.
  • Options
    I like lightly roasted Ethiopian coffee.  I have found that I can roast the beans on my gas stove inside without crazy smoking up the house.  Since I like the lighter roast, I stop after first crack and just as wisps of smoke start to emanating from the roasting vessel, perfect.  Dark roasts, not in the house.  Luckily I am not a fan of them anyway.  At work, the “swill” that is Folgers 100% Columbian passes for coffee.  Hey, it’s all you can drink, free🙂.  It’s actually ok coffee when brewed with a commercial BUNN drip/pour over?🙂.  I question what to call it because it brews a 12 cup pot very quickly, less than 5 minutes….hmm, I may time it to see how long it actually takes.  Yep, I make the coffee.  That way, I know it’s made to my standards of cleanliness, it’s a community pot.
  • Options
    WintonWinton Master
    I was forbidden to give to drink coffee, growing up. Don't ask how much coffee my mom drank. I told her, as soon as I go to college, I would start drinking coffee. I have been a daily coffee drinker since then. 

Typically, I buy whatever is cheapest. But, I really appreciate when my kids buy the good stuff for presents. 
  • Options
    I remember drinking coffee while watching Romper Room and never stopped. I roast coffee for my wife and I. We started roasting about 15 years ago when we were thinking of opening a coffee shop. We gave it up for a few years along the way but I'm back to it. I roast a medium city Brazil Cerrado for the wife and a city Kenya and Ethiopian Sidamo mainly for me. I drink mine black so I roast to develop the sweetness of the bean, she adds cream and looks for more depth in her coffee.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    I’m a Cafe Bustelo mark. 
    Moka pot, k-cup, or drip.
  • Options
    @motie2
    I need to get some of that Bustelo.  I want to give a proper Cuban coffee a try.  Dang, I was just at Bed, Bath & Beyond to get the CO2 refills for my Soda Stream…I forgot about the Bustelo🙁
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited July 2021
  • Options
    I roast my own in a Behmor 1600.  I can roast 1lb at a time.  I go through 1lb a week and considering what I was paying for from a specialty roaster the machine paid for itself in a few months.

• Options
    I use a Whirly-Pop on my indoor gas stove, or outside on my Coleman Camp stove.  I have done two pounds at a time, but I think I could do three.  I have not tried it yet.  I still use the Whirly-Pop for popcorn too👍🏻
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    I actually buy locally roasted beans and bust them each morning. So good and fresh.

Mornin y'all
  • Options
    Same here, @AceFour. Been roasting for about 20 years, most of that time on a Behmor, though I’ve only had great success a half-pound a time. Nothing beats the freshness and roasting to specific, personal preferences. 
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    Wow. Impresssed by the pent up enthusiasm for this renewed discussion.
  • Options
    Londy3Londy3 Master
    Coffee lovers for sure. ☕
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited July 2021
    Decaf is like taking a shower in a raincoat.

Just sayin’ ………😉

No offense intended. I hope I never know the hell of not being able to input caffeine.
  • Options
    RSPiperRSPiper Connoisseur
    motie2 You know your decaf statement is not only funny, it is absolutely true. It made me think about people I have worked with in the past that couldn't remember their name until they had their first cup of coffee in the morning.
  • Options
    @Winton, never a bad idea to buy yourself a good, quality present, say, once a week or so. 😉