Home The Lounge
Options

Beer anyone?

What better place to discuss beer than in The Lounge.
Comments in another discussion leads me to this question. 
What are your favorite beers: 
1. "Big" Brewery (Budweiser, Coors, Miller, Sam Adams, Blue Moon, etc)
2. Favorite Regional/State brewed 
3. "Craft" Beer
4. International

Here's my answers:
1. Sam Adams Seasonal Beers
2. Bayou Teche Brewery (Louisana) They have several different ones that are good.
3. Bayou Tech Brewery LA31 Stout. A very good dark milk stout.; Honorable mention to Tchefuncta Brewery Old 504.
4. Modelo Negra

There are a lot of beers from small breweries that were bought out and discontinued over the years. One of my favorites, and the first dark beer I fell in love with, was Heidelberg Alt from Seattle. 

Comments

• Options
    For factory beer, Sam Adams is my only choice. Here in NH there a great variety of craft beer to enjoy
  • Options
    Topaz75Topaz75 Professor
    Connecticut is crawling with craft beer snobs these days. I'm fine with a Sam Adams, a Long Trail (Vermont) , or an English Bass Ale.
  • Options
    @Topaz75 - I like Bass and Murphy's over Guiness for some reason.
  • Options
    1. Coors Yellow Bellies
    2. Lengthwise Citra-Simcoe IPA, born and bred right here in my town
    3. Firestone's Bourbon Barrel Aged Velvet Merkin (Oatmeal Stout), another local favorite
    4. Aect Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen, A smoked German Beer that's absolutely fantastic!

• Options
    1. Miller High Life
    2. Karbach's Krunkin Pumpkin (Houston, TX)
    3. Tie... Bell's Hop Slam or New Holland's Drangon's Milk (Both from Michigan)
    4. Anything Belgian with a Trappist yeast.
  • Options
    1. Rolling Rock, Little Kings and Miller
    2. Have not picked a favorite YET
    3. Same as above YET
    4. German and Irish Beers
  • Options
    1. Miller Banquet
    2. Southern Pecan from Lazy Magnolia in Mississippi
    3. Oktoberfest from Schlafly
    4. Franizkaner Dunkel
  • Options

Yngling Dark for mass produced.

Daisy Cutter by Half Acre Brewing. Craft.

Smithwicks Ale. and Grolsh, Imported.

• Options
    IndyJGIndyJG Apprentice

Too many great beers to narrow down but i'll try:

1. Rarely drink big brewery anymore but Miller High Life was passable when I was younger.

2. Any Sierra Nevada or New Holland Brewing brew. They make great stuff.  These two breweries are my main buys anymore.

3. Any Bell's (Kalamazoo, MI) brew. Again great stuff.

4. Samuel Smith Taddy Porter or one of the Samuel Smith Stouts.

• Options
    Most definitely Corona Light with a twist of lime IMG_20161005_160325664_HDR
  • Options
    Corona with lime.
  • Options
    What are your favorite beers: 
    1. "Big" Brewery - I favor Bluemoon otherwise I prefer microbreweries
    2. Favorite Regional/State brewed- even though I am not from Wisconsin, New Glarus Spotted Cow 
    3. "Craft" Beer- still trying to find one
    4. International- Killian's Irish Red
  • Options
    1. Rolling Rock, following Pabst Blue Ribbon for the macros.
    2. Pumpkin Spice Saison from 8-Bit Brewing Company out of Temecula, CA.
    3. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. One of my first favorites, and a def reliable tasty one.
    4. Maybe Tecate? I don't really know many international brews out there. I'm sure there are plenty out there way better than a cheap Mexican named swill...
  • Options
    1. Blue Moon or Sam Adams
    2. Good People Brewing Co. IPA (Birmingham)
    3. Fence Post Session Ale by Back Forty Brewing Co. (Gadsden, AL)
    4. Sol w/a lime or Hoegaarden
  • Options
    1. Only Sam Adams
    2. Anything from Rhinegeist or Bluegrass Brewing Company
    3. Anything from Ithaca Beer Company or Great Lake Brewing Company
    4. I never buy international beers
  • Options
    Is Ithaca still around ? I go Upstate a lot but I don't seem to find it, do I have to get in closer to Ithaca to find it, it used to be available Downstate.  Genesee is a decent brew in Draft.
  • Options
    motie2motie2 Master
    edited December 2016
    1. "Big" Brewery? Hoegaarden (and, I admit, Guinness.....)
    2. Favorite Regional? Allagash White (made in Maine, but found in NJ)
    3. "Craft" Beer? Allagash White (I'm not sure what "Craft" means other than "from a relatively small brewery")
    4. International? Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier (My preferred beer)

Beer story: About ten, maybe fifteen years ago, I decided that most of the time I preferred unfiltered Belgian-type ales and wheat beers. I was taken by the orange/coriander flavors. I drank the Allagash White at home and Hoegaarden White in bars/restaurants when available. Then, a couple of months ago, I had the occasion to have a Hefeweizen. Wow! Rather than orange and coriander flavors, I got banana and clove!!!! It turns out that while I was walking down Wheat Beer Avenue., I missed the fork in the road labeled Hefe Weissbier Road. I subsequently tried several brands of Hefe Weissbier (Pauliner and Hacker Pschorr, among others). When  I tried the Weihenstepahner (coincidentally, I discovered, rated No. 1 at Beeradvocate.com ) it was the clear winner!!!!!

Weihenstephaner hefe weissbier
  • Options
    1. When it's time for a macro, More often than not I go to my favorite subpremium: Hamm's

2. Stroh's Bohemian Style. This is NOT the standard Stroh's. It's brewed in Detroit, and just came out in August.

3. Bell's Amber

4. A tie between Czech pils (my favorite is Czechvar) and Bavarian Weiss beer (Ayinger is my favorite, but I also love Schneiderweisse and Weihanstephaner)
  • Options
    I've got to say I've become a bit of a snob since the Minneapolis beer scene blew up a few years ago.
    1. I almost never drink big breweries but Yuengling takes this category.
    2. Ommegang Brewery is fantastic and they produce a Game of Thrones beer every year that is absolutely delicious.
    3. So many to choose from here. Top two are Steel Toe Size 7, and Modist First Call Coffee Lager. If you ever get to try these you won't regret it.
    4. Sunner Kolsch. Best Kolsch hands down, probably my favorite summer beer especially.
  • Options
    After years of drinking Allagash White and Hoegaarden, I discovered what I think is the best beer from a bottle that I have ever tasted: Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier, from the world's oldest brewery. If you are a fan of unfiltered brews, seek it out. 

images
  • Options
    Sorry, but a rule that I live by is that if I can't pronounce it: I'm not drinking it.
  • Options
    I can back him up Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier is amazing, its like a Blue Moon but with depth, nuance & history!

• Options
    Dinkelacher Dunkel Bier. Rich nut brown mellow, always had it in my favorite German Restaurant on the White Horse Pike.
  • Options
    @Topaz75 I freely admit that I do not know how to properly pronounce Weihenstephaner, but damn, it's head an shoulders above any other wheat brew I've ever had. Sure, I've had on-tap small batch craft wheat brews that were better than this, but they were seasonals or occasionals. This I can get in bottles at Total Wine, anytime.
  • Options
    Have to agree with motie2.  You can't go wrong with a German Heife.  Here in Atlanta, Hop Dang Diggity is a great hoppy ale with half the weigh of IPAs.  Made in Athens, Georgia.
  • Options
    I feel like I'm going to be slightly judged but why not:

1. Busch
    2. Schlafly Brewery (With all the seasonal beers and brews they do; it's very convenient and great tasting)
    3. 4 Hands Brewery: War Hammer Imperial IPA
    4. Guinness Draught
    Living in MO is tough because it seems like there is new brewery every week. I guess there is worse problems to have.
  • Options
    JdalenJdalen Newcomer
    1. Goose Island (does that count since its owned by Anheuser-Busch?)
    2. New Glarus Brewery
    3. Off Color Predator
    4. St. Bernardus Prior 8
  • Options
    In Germany Weissbier is usually served a specific glass with a slice of lemon floating in it to cut down the excessive gas.
  • Options
    Bridgeport IPA, Portland Oregon
    Apocalypse IPA, Bend Oregon
    Rogue Dead Guy Ale, New Port Oregon

Those are my top 3 I am more of a micro brew type of guy. I do enjoy many types of beer but when it come to drinking really good beer for me I have to go with a cold IPA.
  • Options
    Saint Arnold's Christmas Ale- Houston, Texas
    Goose Island Bourban County
    Karbach Brewing Hopadillo - Houston, Texas
    Deep Ellum Brewing Double Brown Stout - Dallas, Texas