Home General
Options

Any Archery people?

I'm getting more into Bow Hunting and was just looking for any pointers, that anyone could share.  I've shot some before and some growing up but I'm no expert by any means.

Comments

• Options
    I am no expert myself but I do enjoy bow hunting, as for tips i would have to say when just starting out opt for a bow that you can feel comfortable holding at full draw which means it may be a little larger and a slower shot. but accuracy is key and shorter faster bows tend to have a stiffer draw. Never give up accuracy for speed.  Dont try to hold your sight pin dead on the bulls eyes let it kinda float, it will tighten your groups and when practiceing eye the shaft all the way to the target [ through the sight bracket it will stop you from dropping your arm. other than that just practice practice and moe practice. good luck
  • Options
    My next door neighbor is quite a successful Bow Hunter( And rifle, shotgun, Black Powder, ewtc..) : licensed in 3 states. She always use a tree stand with the bow and packs her freezer every year.
  • Options
    Use small game heads and hunt squirrel and/or rabbit in the off-season.

Also, if you are deer hunting:
    1. Don't use urine-based scents. (Game and Fish Commissions are suspicious that they may be helping to spread Chronic Wasting Disease.)
    2. DO use lye soap (which can be bought online or at farmers' markets, craft shows, etc.) It will help neutralize your human scent and repel insects.
  • Options

Try to get as clean as possible before bowhunting, and wash your clothing in a non scented soap. Baking soda works great, without all the gimmicks.

Remember, no matter how unscented you think you are, a deer will always be able to smell your breath, which will immediately identify you as a predator. They will without a doubt know exactly what you are. Your best bet is to get upwind from where you expect to see the deer. Sometimes this can be quite difficult, so your only alternative is to use a treestand to get higher in a tree. However, the higher you go, the steeper the shot angle. A steep shot angle will cause your arrows to hit higher above the mark than you expect. To compensate, you will just pick a spot around 6 inches lower.

In the areas you will see good bucks, most of the time the woods will be so dense, that you will rarely get a shot over 20 yards. That is one reason I prefer a good recurve or longbow of moderate poundage. Shooting a heavier arrow wood such as ash, will allow you to get clean passthroughs, shooting moderate weight bows in the 45 to 60 pound range. The non sighted bow is also superior in low light conditions, when most sight shooters are unable to see their pins.

Also, remember to try to break up your head and shoulders outline. Deer immediately know when they are dealing with a man, by the outline of his head and shoulders, as well as his legs. This is the main reason why you can ride a horse right up to deer without alarming them.

Once you have managed to get face to face with them, never look them in the eye. Always squint, to keep them from seeing the whites of your eyes. Once they make direct eye contact with you, they will immediately vacate the area.