Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Anything I should know? Escudo edition.

After about a year of pipe smoking I have learned quite a lot. However, there is still plenty I have to learn. After hearing everyone rave about it for the entire time I've been piping, I finally decided to order a couple tins of Escudo. I realized, however, that the only VaPer I've ever even tried was Lane's 125th Anniversary blend. I enjoy it, but I have read a lot of people saying it's not very representative of the type of blend because it's very light on Perique. Is there anything I should know going into Escudo? I'm probably going to dedicate a pipe to just that tobacco, since most of what I smoke is English and Balkan blends.

Comments

• Options
    Its a perique bomb - 20%, from what I hear. I don't care for perique, as a rule, so I haven't tried it.
  • Options
    Be sure to try several ways of smoking the coins. Rub it out to different consistencies, fold and stuff, try a small and narrow bowl with only one coin and a larger bowl with more. I have a significantly different experience depending on how I smoke it, so I think it has a certain versatility. If I smoke it too hot, it punishes me with a bitter, burnt profile; I keep it slow and cool and enjoy the sweet and tangy goodness.

Good luck! I hope you enjoy getting to know Escudo.
  • Options
    I'm an aro smoker, but I really love an occasional pipeful of Escudo. Go for it.