Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Flake Smoking techniques

I was thinking about this the other day, and didn't find a discussion on it, so I  thought I would start one.
Flake smokers are known for having differing opinions on how much to rub out their leaf - from not at all to significant chopping up.
I'm of the fold and stuff school - I fold a flake up lengthwise, stuff it in the pipe, rub out a bit for the top to ease lighting - especially on Sam Gawith flakes - and fire 'er up. It may take a bit to light, but once I get it going,it makes for a lovely smoke.
My reasoning for using this minimal technique is as follows. When I first started venturing into Viriginias,and came upon flakes, I asked the group in the old Yahoo PipeSmokers2 group what the advantage to flakes was. Joe Harb told me that flakes smoked more slowly and cooler. Joe used to work as a blender at Jack's in suburban Milwaukee, and was one of the Trial by Fire reviewers at Pipes and Tobacco magazine for a number of years; I figured he knew what he was talking about, so I used minimal rub-out to maximize those qualities. (On the other hand,Steve Fallon, renowned as Pipestud, is a firm believer in chopping up his flakes.)
How about the rest of you guys? Flake smokers, what's your preferred technique,and why?

Comments

• Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    @judandhispipe I have tried and seen many different ways as I am sure you have also. Originally I used to rub out all of my flakes give a bit of dry time if needed and then pack a bowl. Next I tried cutting the flake up with a knife into something like a cube cut but smaller like a dice cut and that smoked good but I found it getting stuck in the airway at times (frustrating). But then after speaking with Per Georg Jensen at the Chicago show one year he showed my brother and I his fold and stuff method. This is kind of like how you said you first fold long ways then fold it the short end once; then if you need to because of bowl diameter size maybe fold twice. I have used this method ever since, it may take a bit to get it lite like you stated but it will smoke cooler, slower and in my opinion with better flavor. I don't know why this is maybe because it keeps everything relatively close but I agree with your statement of "minimal rub-out to maximize those qualities".
  • Options
    I peel off about a third of a flake and rub it out.  Half of that goes (very loosely) into the bottom of the bowl. 
    Then I take as much flake as will just underfill the bowl (depending on bowl size, sometimes it's just the 2/3 flake that remains, sometimes it's that 2/3 plus another whole flake), fold and stuff, twisting it down into the bowl as I go (breaks it up just a bit, and creates something of a "tobacco spiral" to keep the burn nice and central and leave plenty of breathing room for the leaf).
    Finally, top it off with the remainder of what I'd rubbed out, light it up and smoke.

That's for a full, new tin, anyway.  After I've taken out a few flakes, or had some left over bits where I had more left over than could top of the bowl, there's enough bits of loose tobacco in the tin that I can skip the whole "peel a third and rub" part.
  • Options
    Interesting technique,@idbowman - never heard about rubbing out some for the bottom of the bowl. And, yes, @piperdave, that's about my method.
  • Options
    I'm of the fold and stuff variety. It's quicker to prep (despite the lighting time) and smokes better. I might try out this peel a third and rub thing though. Intriguing.
  • Options
    I shred it, rub it once and pack the pipe slightly looser.
  • Options

If it's whole flake I fold and stuff, twisting it a bit as I pack it in, if it's a broken flake I break it up and loosely pack it in the pipe.

• Options

It depends of the consistency of the flake and the individual pipe I will be smoking. I have found that some flakes have superior flavor when folded and stuffed. In some cases, these are the flakes that aren't pressed as tightly. Cube cutting makes the process quick and easy, but with most blends I experience less flavor. Taking my time, and twisting the flakes between my fingers is usually the method I prefer, if I decide it would be best not to fold and stuff. I have found that roughing the flake up, which allows it to begin to burn sooner when in the distillation zone, seems to provide the best flavor, similar to folding and stuffing.

I have always wanted to experiment with Brian Levine's coffee grinder technique, but I have never gotten a round tuit.

• Options
    I love this group for just these kinds of discussions. Back in the day, I really struggled with flake cut to the extent I just didn't bother...Thank you all for sharing.

What about the "coin" or "spin' cut. Picture from P&C on line catalog...?

pt-cmf0100
  • Options
    @abcbill, you can rub them out, lightly break them apart with your fingers, or just stack them up in the bowl, using your middle finger to slightly form them to the contour of the bowl, this method works especially well for a large pipe with a wide diameter, I have tried all 3 methods and they have worked for me. Hope that helps you.
  • Options
    Pipeman83, thank you much...On the way to P&C to shovel them even MORE money!!!  8~)  

Bill
  • Options

I pull the outer part of the coin off and rub it once, then I breakup the center part  and mix together so I get good bursts of the usually sweeter center.

• Options
    @Woodsman, that's sounds good, never thought of that one, will have to try it.
  • Options
    Interesting idea on the coins. Again, I tend to just shove 'em in there - but I don't smoke many coin cut blends,either.
  • Options
    @judandhispipe I'm like you, get the tobacco in there and smoke it.  Nothing fancy.  I'm always a little skeptical if I hear some overly fancy way to place tobacco in a pipe.  If it lines the bowl and isn't spilling to much over the bowl; I'm happy.  I think the only thing different is I make sure there are not too many air pockets so my smoke doesn't run out on me and I won't have to relight. Maybe I'm just a lazy pipe smoker...