Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Need a Cool Easy Smoke for Walking Dog in Mornings

Hey All,

I'm new here, but excited to join this community. I'm a cigar lover who is starting to fall in love with pipes and I need some help. I'm looking for a cool smoking, easy blend for early morning dog walks. I'm not power walking but it can still be hard to manage cadence walking around with a breeze. What's a forgiving tobacco that you like? I'm learning to enjoy Englishes but find Virginias and VaPers easier to love - problem is they tend to get hot if I'm not sitting quietly with them. I've used my Dublin style meerschaum and a Dublin Peterson for walks in the past but am going to dedicate a new Missouri Meerschaum to my dog walks.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    Scotty's Stonewall is my official dog walking blend. Cool burning, nice aroma, and a little latakia is in there as well.
  • Options
    I tend to over puff when I drive, so I lean towards flakes and plugs in the car.  Although I must admit, I also enjoy a bowl of Half and Half when I may be otherwise distracted and need a cool,  mild smoke. 
  • Options
    I don't have a dog to walk but my favorite morning smoke is the Lux Bull's eye flake by peter stokkebye. Quite delicious, opens up the pallet in the morning, smokes fairly cool and sits low in the bowl so you don't have to worry as much about the breeze. Otherwise you should smoke Barking Dog Match just for fun:)
  • Options
    @josiahWn That's a winner right there!
  • Options
    PS Luxury Navy Flake is a good walker, especially fold-n-stuff with some kindling on top. Get it good and lit before you start your walk, but then it is a joy while walking. If you like VaPers, I like McClelland 2015 for walking. I haven't had it get super hot on me outdoors.
  • Options
    I would suggest Nording's Hunter Blend: Retriever or Labrador. Those are two really good morning smokes.
  • Options
    thuberthuber Newcomer
    Thanks All, these are great thoughts! I went with Presbyterian in the morning the other day and that was a little heavy before 5am. Looking forward to trying a few of these. 
  • Options
    PS Luxury Navy Flake is a good one. I am also a big fan of GL Pease "Chelsea Morning". I like the English blends the best, personally. One might give Gawiths Squadron Leader and Skiff Mixture a run. To me these are pretty light and carry a good flavor with coffee........
  • Options
    I walk these two a few miles every morning. I like an aro when I first wake up. I have also tried my hand at blending and my new favorite is Lane 1Q and BCA 50/50 by weight. It is impossible to get tongue bite, it's a delightful walking smoke. When I get home it pairs perfect with a nice cup of coffee or cappuccino...and my wife likes it.

FullSizeRender 2
  • Options
    BCA is the mildest I can think of, I use it often to save a tobacco that's too strong.
  • Options
    Have no pets, but my morning tobacco is 1Q. If you like English, try Wild Atlantic by Peterson, it is a mild English blend.
  • Options
    Dunhill early morning pipe!!!
  • Options
    I am guessing you clinch and puff while walking two larger dogs? I like EITC Officer's Club. It is aromatic and rich, which is my preference in the cooler weather. I've puffed away at it and not burned my mouth. For warmer weather, I prefer something lighter like Orlik Mellow Mixture (or Club Mixture for something in the middle).

If you want a flake, which do well outdoors, I recommend Erinmore Flake. It is rich and fruity, but with plenty of tobacco flavor; I find it a little harder to get started, though, so you might consider getting it going before the walk begins or letting the flakes dry a little before you start your walk.