Home Tobacco Talk
Options

Moldy Jackknife Plug

My local tobacconist sold a tin of jack knife plug to someone who opened it immediately; they found it was molded inside the sealed tin. The store owner opened two more and found the same thing. When he contacted the manufacturer, they said that they had a few lots that had been found to be contaminated by some equipment during pressing.

If you have JKP tins from around the middle of this year, you might want to open them and check them out and then put them into jars. The company was aware of the problem and was eager to replace the tobacco as soon as they registered the lot number, etc.

Comments

• Options
    Not good. C&D blends the JKP for Pease and they have been having some issues this year with mold. 
  • Options
    I had a moldy plug. I purchased it in June of this year. How best contact the manufacturer for a replacement tin?
  • Options
    I ordered 2 tins of Cornell & Diehl Burley Flake #2 and the both had mold in them. I contacted Smoking Pipes.com and they told me its an ongoing issue with C & D. They sent me two new tins free of charge. They were ok.
  • Options
    This makes me scared to store in tins.  I opened a tin I have stored for about five years to find it moldy. I think I am going to have to open all of my C&D tins now just to be on the safe side.
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    @drac2485 please let me know what you find? I have some C&D tins in my cellar and I don't want to open them unless I have to but the mold scare has got me thinking? PLEASE post an update.
  • Options
    @piperdaveI'll find out tomorrow. I don't have that many as I primarily buy their bulk as it is much cheaper. I'll let you know if I have any problems. With all the comments it seems like its the batches they have been making since they got bought by Laudasi and moved. All of my tins predate that so hopefully no problems.
  • Options
    @piperdave  I think the better question is if there is a problem what to do besides just throwing them all away?
  • Options
    piperdavepiperdave Connoisseur
    @drac2485 I agree to throw away a brand new opened tin would be throwing away money. I would hope that I could go back to C&D (or where I got them and they go back to C&D) and C&D knowing the lot dates on the tins with issues hope they would make good on it. I would suggest opening the tins while filming to prove when you opened.
  • Options
    Now I've got to go through mine and I just put them away.
  • Options
    daveinlaxdaveinlax Connoisseur
    Don't throw them away! They have been refunding or exchanging (you pay to pack and ship them back) them since the mold issues were discovered months ago.
    I started attending pipe shows about the same time (mid 90's) they did so I was very well antiquated The Tarler family, their employee's and Greg Pease and IMO this is a very sad time for a once proud family run company that has gone downhill since it was turned over to a bunch of hipsters who were probably delivering pizza's a week before they became "master tobacco blenders". Again IMO they have ignored time tested blends and methods to pump out new (moldy) product. I've payed almost daily attention to this hobby for 30 years and this is the first widespread mold outbreak I've heard about.

• Options
    Whatever you do, don't try to save any of it. For the mold you see there is more mold you don't see, and inhaling it can be very dangerous.

I can only imagine the damage this is doing to C&D's brand value!! They make some of my favorite blends!!